Non dress up evenings

Jeffrey1950

Hi there, I see many slightly less glitzy long dresses worn on non-formal nights. I think the great opportunity is for ladies to decide on these nights whether they prefer a long dress or below the knee, either of which works well for my wife. I also like to wear an open neck shirt and jacket, but I do notice just as many ties worn on these nights too.

Edited by robbie_3

Can men wear a collared polo shirt with a jacket on non formal nights?
Hi dkrn464,

I've seen this done, but not often. On an informal night, as long as the man keeps his jacket on throughout the evening, I would say it is not an issue. Maybe the sticklers of the fashion police will have a different opinion, but I can see how it could look fine with the right shirt and jacket. If you're used to wearing this, I'd say don't change, stop worrying and enjoy your cruise!

(Not that this following applies to you, however the thing I would be concerned about would be a man who dons a short-sleeved casual polo-shirt at the start of the evening with the deliberate intention of removing his jacket at the earliest opportunity and staying sans jacket for the remainder of the evening.

Whilst many men will remove their jacket in the MDR, or late at night on a warm evening after one or three glasses of something refreshing (;)), they are usually wearing a smart long sleeved shirt underneath (often with a tie), and this says "I've just slipped my jacket off for a minute" not "this way I can get round the "must not wear casual sports gear at night" code", which a short-sleeved casual polo shirt well might. Not for one moment am I suggesting this is the reasoning behind your question, let me make that quite clear).

I hope this helps :) , all best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Thank you Pepper. In the interim I called Cunard and they said a collared polo shirt with a jacket would be fine. However, I plan to pack extra dress shirts.

Well, this is news. After months of following dress code posts, I had no idea that a polo shirt if worn with a jacket was considered appropriate 'informal' attire. The plan was to wear long sleeved cotton or linen blend shirts that were suitable to be worn with ties and also as open-neck. Really surprised by this new (to me) information as I've always considered polos, with or without a jacket, to be casual wear. This makes packing for warm &/or long voyages easier. There'll still be plenty of more dressy shirts to wash & iron though!

Edited by Runaways
Typo

I'm sure this has been discussed before, so I apologize in advance. But . .. how many formal nights on a 7-day crossing on the QM2?

What robbie_3 has stated is the typical dress code schedule for QM2 crossings. There are usually three formal nights and four informal nights on a 7-day crossing although the dress code schedule posted on ask.cunard.com does show a couple instances of 7-day crossings with four formal nights and three informal nights on the schedule.

One of those exceptions happens to be voyage M526, the "Blue Note Jazz at Sea" 7-day October 29, 2015 eastbound crossing where we are trying to figure out if there really are going to be four formal nights or only one. But that's been the topic of another thread.

Regards,

John.

What robbie_3 has stated is the typical dress code schedule for QM2 crossings. There are usually three formal nights and four informal nights on a 7-day crossing although the dress code schedule posted on ask.cunard.com does show a couple instances of 7-day crossings with four formal nights and three informal nights on the schedule.

One of those exceptions happens to be voyage M526, the "Blue Note Jazz at Sea" 7-day October 29, 2015 eastbound crossing where we are trying to figure out if there really are going to be four formal nights or only one. But that's been the topic of another thread.

Regards,

John.

Thank you, John.