Setting up your own B/B cruise

crayola1932

We like to set up our own cruises on the Web site, avoiding use of TA or PCC. What we want to do is a 14 day Western Caribbean cruise this winter. To get the ports we want, we would have to book two identical 7 day cruises in a row on either the Dawn or the Jade.

Is there any reason why we can't do this? I assume that if we book GTY balconies (which is what we usually do), we'll end up with two different cabins (Perhaps this time we'll find a specific cabin). I'm hoping we'll be able to leave our luggage on board in between the two cruises. I'm also assuming we'll have to get our key card updated for the 2nd cruise at Guest Services. Or, because this is a do-it-yourself B/B, do you think we'll have to get in line and go through the whole check-in process again from the beginning?

Or do you recommend that we work with a PCC for this kind of situation? (We don't like to do it, because then we keep getting calls from them.)

There is no reason to it that cruise as a B2B.

Only draw back is not getting the same room and having to pack up and unpack again.

Your room steward will make arrangements to have your luggage moved.

We do B2B all the time and would never do it if I couldn't get same room for both legs.

Look at spending the extra money so that you won't have to move.

You should be able to do check in for both legs at first leg then get your key card updated the night before end of first leg.

Again another reason why we wouldn't do a cabin switch as we hate line ups of any sort of line ups.

You can use a pcc and tell them to not call.

We have used pcc for years and never get calls because we don't sign on to their emails.

Edited by FranknBeans

We're the same. Have been doing B2B for the last 5 years or so and have always used an NCL PCC and I have never had a call from him other than when I have left a message for him to call. I have found him really helpful - especially when there has been a price decrease. He changes our booking while maintaining the cabin that we have selected - and we get the benefit of the savings. I would suggest getting the same room for both weeks - no packing the night before. Makes for a really lovely day on the last day of the first week.

Book the B2B separately yourselves and I guess you may well have to change cabins, not too difficult really just means a pack/unpack. The room steward will see to the actual luggage movement. :)

You can get the new keycard at any time that there is no queue at the desk if you don't want to queue. If you go down there the first time you see a call for that you probably will be the only one there. (Been There Done That:))

Then on the change day take a tour!! Whatever you do wear your "Still on Vacation" sticker and walk straight through all the queues :) (Except the bag scan!!).

We had a day in Copenhagen when we didn't tour, we had had 4 days there with an AFS daughter before the cruise, and I went on & off checking the free WiFi on the pier bypassing the new cruisers queuing about 4 times; no trouble at all. :D

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice

Having done B2B's before you can book these on your own. Met a couple who did 4 B2B's for a month. To make it easy, book the same room. It was nice not to have to pack up and just relax on the ship all day waiting for the next passengers to arrive. Your pretty get full run of the ship while the other passengers are trying to get off the ship.

To sum up what others have said in much longer fashion:

Booking a makeshift B2B is nothing more than booking two contiguous cruises.

It does not matter if you book the cruises yourself or use a TA/PCC, the B2B process onboard is exactly the same regardless.

As a personal advice I'd recommend finding a good TA in order to save money, my TA (found from Cruise Critic's Cruise Agencies listing) is nonintrusive and gives us about 10% of cruise fare in price reduction and/or OBC. We have a specific agent that I can call/email and if they are not in, the agency is open 7 days a week so in urgent matters (like price drops, upgrades, etc) I can call their general extension.

Edited by Demonyte

we booked the jade saturday to saturday out of houston, then we drive to galveston on sunday and do liberty for the next week. only wish the jade cabin attendent would move our belongings:D We would recomend paying the extra and book same room for both legs saves an unwanted move! most of the time they make you wait in a lounge to clear customs any way. We run our cruise through a T A as we get some type of onboard credit which if only 50 dollars still better than nothing.

Edited by realtreebar

we booked the jade saturday to saturday out of houston, then we drive to galveston on sunday and do liberty for the next week. only wish the jade cabin attendent would move our belongings:D We would recomend paying the extra and book same room for both legs saves an unwanted move! most of the time they make you wait in a lounge to clear customs any way. We run our cruise through a T A as we get some type of onboard credit which if only 50 dollars still better than nothing.

We have done the same same from Miami to Ft. lauderdale via shuttle service, it was a piece of cake.

Two questions:

Do they charge two sets of deposits for the B2B?

And if I wanted to have a passenger change up (ie, a few of our older kids with us for one week, and just the hubby and I the other week) what kind of impact would that have? I'm assuming that would definitely require two separate deposits.

I am in the early stages of planning a big anniversary trip, and want both family and couple time if I can work out the costs and logistics.

Two questions:

Do they charge two sets of deposits for the B2B?

And if I wanted to have a passenger change up (ie, a few of our older kids with us for one week, and just the hubby and I the other week) what kind of impact would that have? I'm assuming that would definitely require two separate deposits.

It depends, if you book two separate cruises as B2B, then it's just like booking two cruises even a year apart - that's separate deposit for each reservation, pricing is specific to each reservation, etc, etc.

Some itineraries (like certain Mediterranean itineraries that alternate every other week) are offered as combined itineraries ("true" B2Bs) and listed/sold as one longer cruise where the turnaround port is just listed as a port of call and for those you pay only one deposit and one cruise fare (that can be more or less than the two cruises booked separately would cost, it varies).

It depends, if you book two separate cruises as B2B, then it's just like booking two cruises even a year apart - that's separate deposit for each reservation, pricing is specific to each reservation, etc, etc.

Some itineraries (like certain Mediterranean itineraries that alternate every other week) are offered as combined itineraries ("true" B2Bs) and listed/sold as one longer cruise where the turnaround port is just listed as a port of call and for those you pay only one deposit and one cruise fare (that can be more or less than the two cruises booked separately would cost, it varies).

Thanks for the info

Because we are Platinum we make sure that the b2b is booked under two resy's so as not to lose the perks for the 2nd week.

Excellent point! I am figuring I will have to do it this way anyhow, if I bring the kids along for one of the weeks, but this is a very good reason to be sure to do it -- it would push two of the kids (older ones -- not really kids anymore) up to the next level since it will be a Haven booking, and done well in advance of the 9 months. And it will be a nice boost for the hubby and I as well

Edit to add -- just did the math, and it would put the hubby and I at Platinum on our return home -- :-)

Edited by 3kidsncats
additional comment