Dubai on you own

Wayfairers

Cards are widely accepted but you might want to have a little money in AED for a taxi perhaps to the port or hotel if you are staying pre or post cruise. ATM's are everywhere including all of the malls. The additional charge would be if your bank charges to use another bank's machine but not from the local bank. Have a great time!

can you order AED at a local bank here in the US?

can you order AED at a local bank here in the US?

I'm sure you could but it really isn't necessary. There are ATM's at both the airport and cruise terminal, shopping areas, hotels, all in addition to the various branch locations. Banks in the UAE include Citi, HSBC, Standard Chartered, First Gulf Bank, Emirates NBD, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Noor etc. AED is usually accepted in Oman if you are traveling there after and didn't want to get Rials. If your itinerary includes stops in India you can also get some rupees while in Dubai at one of the many currency exchange locations, including several in Dubai Mall. Your cards will be fine as well but sometimes you may just want to get a coffee or snack and a little cash is handy:)

I'm sure you could but it really isn't necessary. There are ATM's at both the airport and cruise terminal, shopping areas, hotels, all in addition to the various branch locations. Banks in the UAE include Citi, HSBC, Standard Chartered, First Gulf Bank, Emirates NBD, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, Noor etc. AED is usually accepted in Oman if you are traveling there after and didn't want to get Rials. If your itinerary includes stops in India you can also get some rupees while in Dubai at one of the many currency exchange locations, including several in Dubai Mall. Your cards will be fine as well but sometimes you may just want to get a coffee or snack and a little cash is handy:)

Thank you so much. Yes my cruise goes to India so I will need ruppees as well. I usually use my CC but I like to have a little cash handy. Just in case. :D

I just saw a post about pink topped taxis for women. Can't men and women ride in the same taxi???? This will sure be a new culture for us to experience.

Yes, a man and woman can ride together in a pink top taxi as a couple or family. If you also have small children with you the pink top cabs I believe will have car seats available. It is your choice to choose a pink top taxi but a man or men without any females cannot use them. The fare is slightly more. The beige taxis with different color rooftops are used by everyone, even a female traveling alone would be considered routine. At the airport and hotels there will also be town cars available should you prefer a more luxurius ride...and the drivers a bit more restrained with their driving skills:D They will be metered as well and probably 20% more on average.

Should you use the metro to get around, especially along Sheik Zayed Road which includes Dubai Mall station, there will also be a "gold car" and "ladies" car. The gold car requires a different NOL ticket card which costs a little more but has leather seats and less crowded. There will also be a ladies car. Men are not allowed to ride in this car and will be shooed away should they unknowingly try:eek: Usually tourists:D The train cars are open to each other so not a problem to relocate yourself. You will also see many women riding in the "non-woman and children" cars as it is a choice for women.

Yes, a man and woman can ride together in a pink top taxi as a couple or family. If you also have small children with you the pink top cabs I believe will have car seats available. It is your choice to choose a pink top taxi but a man or men without any females cannot use them. The fare is slightly more. The beige taxis with different color rooftops are used by everyone, even a female traveling alone would be considered routine. At the airport and hotels there will also be town cars available should you prefer a more luxurius ride...and the drivers a bit more restrained with their driving skills:D They will be metered as well and probably 20% more on average.

Should you use the metro to get around, especially along Sheik Zayed Road which includes Dubai Mall station, there will also be a "gold car" and "ladies" car. The gold car requires a different NOL ticket card which costs a little more but has leather seats and less crowded. There will also be a ladies car. Men are not allowed to ride in this car and will be shooed away should they unknowingly try:eek: Usually tourists:D The train cars are open to each other so not a problem to relocate yourself. You will also see many women riding in the "non-woman and children" cars as it is a choice for women.

good to know. Thank you again for all the wonderful info.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Dubai in a couple of weeks. We need to get a taxi from the airport to our hotel. There are six of us with luggage. Do they have taxi vans?

I am fairly sure I have seen taxi vans at the airport, but just be aware they may be more of a premium taxi and charge a premium price. Dubai has many different types of limo's that take taxi fares, but they charge higher prices. Which is somewhat fine as it is often relative to the luxury car you in.

We will be in Dubai in a couple of weeks. We need to get a taxi from the airport to our hotel. There are six of us with luggage. Do they have taxi vans?

Yes, you will see larger SUV/van type taxis at the airport but with six people and luggage you may want to use two taxis.

We will arrive at 8:00 p.m. on a Friday and leave on our cruise the following Monday. Our plan is to use the Big Bus, subway and occasional taxi if needed. We want to see the Miracle Garden, probably on Monday morning before going to our ship. We are not sure about how to best get there and back from our hotel. Would this be an occasion for a taxi? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha.

While packing , I asked my wife where her Nike Shoes were and see told me

that Dubai has a dress code and you can't wear "Tennis Shoes" there.

Can anyone expend on that ?

Edited by TheMiz

What? of course you can! That's a good one!

You would be surprised at how many Nike and similar stores are found across Dubai.

Actually it seems to be getting a bit more laid back to when I first visited there a few years ago. At a large mall now you see all sorts of skimpy outfits that would have been considered a bit taboo in the past.

Also, at a beach or hotel pool you can wear pretty much any sort of clothing providing there is no nudity.

Perhaps it referred to when dining in the fancier restaurants that have a dress code "no trainers, T-shirts etc." As others have posted, you will see all of the major athletic shops in the malls.

Perhaps it referred to when dining in the fancier restaurants that have a dress code "no trainers, T-shirts etc." As others have posted, you will see all of the major athletic shops in the malls.

Lilybob, do you have a recommendation of how to best get to the Miracle Garden? If we take a taxi there, will we be able to find one for our return? Please see my post #36.

Lilybob, do you have a recommendation of how to best get to the Miracle Garden? If we take a taxi there, will we be able to find one for our return? Please see my post #36.

oops...I think I may have responded on another thread:eek:

I would take a taxi to the Miracle Garden. You can get the driver's cell/mobile number and send a text when you are finishing your visit and see if he will return for pick-up. The Garden is located on the outskirts of the city so difficult to flag down a taxi for your return and not sure if there is a taxi rank.

Just in case, download the taxi app to your smart phone and you can book and track your taxi:)

https://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/wps/portal/rta/ae/home/smart-apps/!ut/p/z1/tVJNd6IwFP0rbFzSPAwqzg4_DooyDgpV2fSEEIWpJDREOp1fP0HbLtpp53QxOSeL-3Jz39dFCdqhhJOmOBJVCE5OGu-T_t13ANsD21o608UE3GEQRSN3jOO4h25RghLKVaVytJeK3FHBFeOqAxp0gLPH2iA8M0qWFc_4OZoxRYpTfSEaomK8NnqGfjHSc21IcVbs-rMoKykaDYTKmazbfBUtMrS3WXZIiQ0m6WdD0yY2NZ2BxUya0r5DyQADZC27ZrIpKJtnaHvt5oflzEZgLQFHI3DjMPLDoT-fWRglnze7beX-oXAhwAfHhReF1yTRdAjuLA5XcTDHk4n9luAtbVcTNj1r7GHLWbxXCFZTcC1_tvK6YddbvFeI-zpzvA7DW3-NYTJAPkqOJ5Fe9-vyFDtHlEh2YJLJm7PU4Vypqv7WgQ5kZ3rf3qO4oaL824dc1Art3vA2jKO9Hvfgo1Z7IxttvrhM_7PZbXyrra4rg3Ggq6uIys2CHwTafdFgWqT4-fCQuNrYrZl_qYvE_3d2VZYO5k_m_Xq6dp7wqcmr5veSbf8AQWj7yQ!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?serviceId=

Edited by lilybob
spelling

• 1 month later...

Is the metro walking distance from the cruise port?

We plan on visiting the Dubai Mall and Mall of Emirates.

(Once we get ourselves familiarized with the metro, we'll visit other sites.)

Thank you.:)

Is the metro walking distance from the cruise port?

We plan on visiting the Dubai Mall and Mall of Emirates.

(Once we get ourselves familiarized with the metro, we'll visit other sites.)

Thank you.:)

You will need to take a taxi from the cruise port to other areas of Dubai. Taxis are inexpensive in Dubai, though leaving from the cruise port or airport there is a 20AED ($5.44) surcharge, but not on the way back. The metro is an excellent choice from getting between Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates.....you will not have to go outside in the heat! Most other places to visit (Madinat Jumeirah, or the creek area will be easier with a taxi.

You will need to take a taxi from the cruise port to other areas of Dubai. Taxis are inexpensive in Dubai, though leaving from the cruise port or airport there is a 20AED ($5.44) surcharge, but not on the way back. The metro is an excellent choice from getting between Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates.....you will not have to go outside in the heat! Most other places to visit (Madinat Jumeirah, or the creek area will be easier with a taxi.

Thanks again. We'll combine the use of taxi's and the metro. We've read about how nice and modern the metro is and how easy it is to use. We truly appreciate your responses. :)

I think I have read the answer to these questions, somewhere along the way, but my rememberer is broken and my forgetter is working overtime.

Do taxi drivers speak English and do they take credit cards.

Are ATMs readily available? What are the things we might need local currency to pay for?

Thank you lilybob for all of your help!

I think I have read the answer to these questions, somewhere along the way, but my rememberer is broken and my forgetter is working overtime.

Are ATMs readily available? What are the things we might need local currency to pay for?

Julie, Can I steal your line? I have worn out my favourite expression: :|"I have a good memory ------------------but ---- it's short!"

Feel free to borrow it.

Wendy

Taxi drivers will speak some English, but it is variable. You should have cash to pay the drivers.

ATMs are available. When I arrived in DXB, that was my first stop after customs...

The only time I used cash was for taxis and incidentals--like buying a beverage from a convenience store, as well as some purchases made outside of Dubai.

In addition to taxis, you might want some cash for small purchases like bottled water or a coffee. Perhaps a small purchase at one of the traditional souks though a lot of of them also take cc.

Here is an informative guide published in Gulf News about taxi transport. I see the airport/cruiseport surcharge is now 25 AED rather than 20 as I previously posted.

http://gulfnews.com/guides/life/transport/dubai-taxi-guide-1.1373863