Norwegian Cruise Line Changes Service Charge Policy

LauraS

Actually neither, the terms and conditions would be the place to look for the legally binding section.

An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price.

So is that added at the end of the meal? or is it part of the package price, even if the package was Gratis?

Both are gratuities in my opinion.

What does NCL consider them? Clearly the word and is there for a legal/finance reason.

If both were gratuities, then no reason to add the second part.

NCL deserves to be poo-pooed for creating a tangled mess.

This topic got me interested to read more; I ended up finding forums dedicated to crew, Reddit posts from crew, Facebook pages dedicated to crew and they all say exactly the same thing; the workers prefer cash and hate the auto-charges. GEE - CAN'T IMAGINE WHY?

If true, Then who is truly stiffing the crew? $600 a year? Not even NCL could do that...could they?

Sorry I just don't believe this.

Are you aware that when you eat in a restaurant that the server likely makes less than $2.50 an hour? The rest of the income comes from tips. For the people onboard that participate in the service charge it is the same way.

Overall, How much is the DSC? If it can make up for such a poor base salary?

NCL should be ashamed.

As I said a while back the crew receiving the service charges have to be similar to those on other lines that receive tips and the distribution has to be pretty close to how tips are distributed on other lines. And those other lines also pay a similar base salary to their staff. The service charges came to be because traditional tipping doesn't work with freestyle.

Just hypothetical. If all the cruisers now would be removing the DSC, do you really believe NCL would just pay them the $10 or $50 and tell them oh well bad luck perhaps the next month will be better for you guys?

I am 100% confident NCL would step up and already does it now for occasions like dry dock or the preparation of the Escape.

Same with cruises where 50% and more of the guests are from Europe or those port heavy itineraries where the bar sales and the included 18% drop significantly compared to Caribbean cruises.

That is why NCL is so eager to stop the removal of the DSC and raised it twice before to compensate for those already removing it as otherwise it hurts their quarterly business report.

Yes, NCL is eager to stop the removal of the service charges because it does impact crew pay but I'm not so certain that they would be quick to pony up the shortfall themselves.

Are you aware that when you eat in a restaurant that the server likely makes less than $2.50 an hour? The rest of the income comes from tips. For the people onboard that participate in the service charge it is the same way.

The standard type restaurant does not require a service charge to be paid before service is rendered. Such a model on land would never fly I imagine.

And tipping is totally discretionary based on good service. Its mandated on a cruise ship.

I'm skeptical of NCL's incentive pay program. I would like to hear from those who benefit from it or don't

As I said a while back the crew receiving the service charges have to be similar to those on other lines that receive tips and the distribution has to be pretty close to how tips are distributed on other lines. And those other lines also pay a similar base salary to their staff. The service charges came to be because traditional tipping doesn't work with freestyle.

Have to be?

Are you guessing?

because traditional tipping doesn't work with freestyle.

Why not tip the waiter you have that night? or the server, or bar keep or... Just like you would at any other restaurant in the world?

Yes, NCL is eager to stop the removal of the service charges because it does impact crew pay but I'm not so certain that they would be quick to pony up the shortfall themselves.

I'm far more certain they won't

Cruise lines don't have much of a choice if they want to keep staff.

Consistant failure to pay and people will walk.

Would not surprise me this contributes to the resaon NCL no longer bases a ship in the UK,

RCI has issues with ships based here the Independance has serious issues(hit the news here) as it is marketed almost exclusive to Brits there is a massive shortfall in the gratuity/service/tips,

But that ship can command cruise fares to cover the costs of the shortfall, NCl can't.

The standard type restaurant does not require a service charge to be paid before service is rendered. Such a model on land would never fly I imagine.

And tipping is totally discretionary based on good service. Its mandated on a cruise ship.

I'm skeptical of NCL's incentive pay program. I would like to hear from those who benefit from it or don't

I am sure that many of us would like to know the details but in reality this is between the employer and employee. And tipping is discretionary but since many realize that the server survives on tips they leave a tip of some sort except in egregious cases. This is the method that NCL has decided to compensate their employees and this is the method the employees agreed to. All I can do as a passenger is pay the expected service charge, which is not an unreasonable amount (as a comparision I had to eat in restaurants twice in one day not too long ago and the tips came out to $9.50 a person for both meals, so the service charge amount for three meals and steward service is still a good deal). Now if I really thought that NCL was screwing their crew over by not distributing the service charge as agreed I doubt that I would be sailing with them.

Edited by sparks1093

Have to be?

Are you guessing?

Why not tip the waiter you have that night? or the server, or bar keep or... Just like you would at any other restaurant in the world?

LOL we are all guessing but I am basing my guesses on a lot of background reading and personal experience. I personally don't want to have to carry cash onboard or have to worry about this at all, I am more than content to allow my account to be charged services charges or tips (depending on the line I am sailing with) and let the cruise line distribute them.

LOL we are all guessing but I am basing my guesses on a lot of background reading and personal experience. I personally don't want to have to carry cash onboard or have to worry about this at all, I am more than content to allow my account to be charged services charges or tips (depending on the line I am sailing with) and let the cruise line distribute them.

Well good for you.

I will say I think I agree that Freestyle may very well be the root cause of this NCL tangle. No other line does it this way as much as NCL.

I wonder if the "Anytime dining" or "my time dining" MDR waiters get some of the clearly defined amount other lines tend to show?

I am sure that many of us would like to know the details but in reality this is between the employer and employee. And tipping is discretionary but since many realize that the server survives on tips they leave a tip of some sort except in egregious cases. This is the method that NCL has decided to compensate their employees and this is the method the employees agreed to. All I can do as a passenger is pay the expected service charge, which is not an unreasonable amount (as a comparision I had to eat in restaurants twice in one day not too long ago and the tips came out to $9.50 a person for both meals, so the service charge amount for three meals and steward service is still a good deal). Now if I really thought that NCL was screwing their crew over by not distributing the service charge as agreed I doubt that I would be sailing with them.

I agree that the employees agreed to it and NCL agreed to it (I bet they did) but that is not my affair nor should I feel obligated to make it up to the employees simply because their corporate bosses fail to compensate them properly.

All I can do as a passenger is pay the expected service charge - No you can remove it at your discretion.

Edited by legion3

Well good for you.

I will say I think I agree that Freestyle may very well be the root cause of this NCL tangle. No other line does it this way as much as NCL.

I wonder if the "Anytime dining" or "my time dining" MDR waiters get some of the clearly defined amount other lines tend to show?

Yes, it is good for me and it is good for many:). I don't want to have to worry about taking care of those that are taking care of me and having this type of thing charged to my account allows me to truly relax. Of course if I receive exceptional service I am free to provide an additional tip or to fill out a Vacation hero card or whatever they have now.

I would bet that the anytime dining waitstaff gets just as much as if they were working in the MDR or they'd never get anyone to take those shifts. (And I believe at least one of the cruise lines requirements prepayment of gratuities if the passenger selects anytime dining and I don't know if they allow adjustment.)

All I know that is if everyone does their part the service charge system works for everyone.

I agree that the employees agreed to it and NCL agreed to it (I bet they did) but that is not my affair nor should I feel obligated to make it up to the employees simply because their corporate bosses fail to compensate them properly.

All I can do as a passenger is pay the expected service charge - No you can remove it at your discretion.

Yes, I do have the discretion to remove it but as long as the service is satisfactory why in the world would I want to:confused:?

This is the reason for the thread.

Discretion has been taken away.

You now have to seek compensation through a letter to shoreside.

I'm not sure discretion has been taken away, its still the same policy only a different way of implementing it.

Sure its likely done to discourage people from doing it by making it slightly more complicated but I'm not convinced that will be the result.

Time will tell - and so will I

Are you aware that when you eat in a restaurant that the server likely makes less than $2.50 an hour? The rest of the income comes from tips.

Not exactly.

Yes, the base wage of a tipped position may be less than $2.50 an hour, however, if enough tips aren't earned to bring the hourly amount up to minimum wage, the employer must pay the difference.

I'm not sure discretion has been taken away, its still the same policy only a different way of implementing it.

Sure its likely done to discourage people from doing it by making it slightly more complicated but I'm not convinced that will be the result.

Time will tell - and so will I

Before you could not pay it before you left the ship.

Now you have to

The charge is no longer discretionary.

The claim for compenation is