Oh boy another tipping thread! (HAL should copy NCL)

InTheWASide

It is not about revenge. It is about value for money. I think revenge is a very strong and very angry word to use and misplaced here. You're correct about the surveys and their long term impact, but it doesn't solve immediate issues IF onboard management can not solve them either.

Withholding the HSC won't solve your issue, either. But will, instead, punish all of those in the chain of folks who have served you - the good as well as the bad.

Surely you jest! :D

No, I'm not jesting. I do get the impression that there are many here who think that their cost of cruising would go down if HAL didn't charge for gratuities. They seem to think that the cruise lines have plenty of money and should pay these charges lowering the passengers costs.

I did see one Australian who, last week, was asking about removing gratuities justifying this because of the fall in the AUD.

No, I'm not jesting. I do get the impression that there are many here who think that their cost of cruising would go down if HAL didn't charge for gratuities. They seem to think that the cruise lines have plenty of money and should pay these charges lowering the passengers costs.

I did see one Australian who, last week, was asking about removing gratuities justifying this because of the fall in the AUD.

I think I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were asking if cost would go down if they folded the gratuity/service charge into the fare. If you mean, would the cost go down if they left it to passengers to tip, it wouldn't change much for us. We'd go back to the old system of tipping people who served us.

But if HAL didn't put the charge on people's accounts, yes, cost would go down for those who didn't add any tips on their own. There was a post some time ago, maybe from Bruce Muzz, saying that before the charge went on the accounts, 30% or more pax did not tip, even though the line had "suggested" amounts for tips. I think it was 30%, don't remember exactly.

The cruises are already cheaper than they were 12 years ago,not much wiggle room

maybe on the 7 day Caribbean cruises but.......

I think that may depend upon what sailing, what ship and what category you are in. My prices haven't gone to 12 years ago. I actually checked to see ;)

But we rarely do a 7 day cruise. And I will admit, the one we did was a steal of a deal. Our other cruises, not so much.

This thread is closed after removing over a dozen posts.

Guideline reminder:

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.