Royal Ascot Ball

ged1967

We're doing a TA to New York in December. One of the formal nights is Royal Ascot Ball.

Cunard have told us the Queens room will be "ladies day" hats & fasaneters. Men will be top hat & tails.

Is this dress code compulsory in the same way the formal nights are? Or can we dress for a normal formal night?

Can top hat & tails be hired on board?

Cheers Grant x

No, not compulsory to participate in the hats/fasaneters wearing. Some ladies love the costume creating and wearing (which is fun for them), but most just comply with formal dress code (from my observations).

Tuxes are available as rentals onboard, but I'm never seen anyone with a top hat. I think the tails is a whole different level of dress, not required on Cunard ships…

As mentioned before on numerous CC threads, it would be more economical to purchase a tux than to rent one onboard. Or, just wear a dark suit.

Have a wonderful crossing!

Most don't really bother although I have seen men in morning suits and top hats.

For those who want to take part, but don't want to pack a hat, there is usually a workshop where you can make your own. This will be advertised in the daily programme. I am not sure about cost but I think there is a small charge.

I did a TA a couple of years ago and would say that less than a 100 ladies bothered with headgear......those that did did look lovely. I did a quick scan of the first dinner sitting from afar and chose not to wear the fascinator I had packed but regretted it after

I didn't win with my funny hat, but had fun making it.... a horse race with the royal box outfitted with Queen and Consort going around its crown. :D

The male winner actually made a top hat out of a Cunard brochure he picked up at the future cruise desk. (He wasn't in a tuxedo).