? For Ruth

jimmy2x

I am aware that you are the resident expert on inside cabins and I ask for your help. We are considering a 33 day cruise in Maasdam to the South Pacific round trip from San Diego in March 2017. The only way that we can possibly afford it would be in an inside cabin (our first on Hal).

Based on previous postings we would pick a "J" cabin. Which would recommend? This early there are many available, including one with a longitudinal axis.

I really appreciate your help as well as input from others with experience in these cabins.

Wow. I appreciate your confidence in me, and hope I can offer some help.

My favorite cabins used to be the J-cabins on Lower Promenade between the Atrium and mid-ship. Those have all been changed to I-category cabins, I'm betting partly because they are so desirable. It's an easy access to the great outdoors, quiet above and below.

The now-J-category cabins immediately below those cabins (Main Deck) also look good to me. Because there's no mid-ship elevator bank/staircase, I find it better to be closer to them than to be further away. I also like being near the atrium.

I will also heartily recommend K-548/549. I've stayed in K-549 a few times on a couple of ships, and love the location. It's not so far forward of the elevators that it would be called "too forward". It is so handy-dandy to the elevators/staircase as to eliminate the thought of "backtracking". It is also one of those "square" cabins with a lot of floor space.

Hope that helps. Is there any cabin in particular that interests you? Perhaps I know something about it that would help.

Oops, forgot to mention HAL air.

I haven't done HAL air in ages, so really can't advise. I would agree with jtl that it's worth asking about, especially since they will do deviations.

But for a domestic round-trip air, I would expect you could do at least as well on your own.

Hi

I may be able to help. I usually book inside unless there is an upgrade.

The only difference I could tell on the various cabin grades I was assigned is the location in ship.

I haven't checked HAL's air since they removed it from the web site. Before the domestic flights were always cheaper from the airline web sites with HAL sometimes beating on overseas especially on open jaw.

I assume you are going out of PHL. There Is only one non stop to SAN. Check with AA, Delta and Southwest before booking. Hint Google Flights or any of the Dot Com services will let you see prices except for SWA.

I would recommend you fly to SAN the day before the cruise.

Edited by JayS

I do thank all for the replies. I had not picked up on the fact that HAL has changed the designation on some of the cabins.

Have always thought that those inside cabins on the Lower Promenade would be nice due to the direct access to the Promenade itself. So - actually looking at the current configuration, we would be more likely to pick either an "I" or an "L" on that deck. Any thoughts or experience with these?

Oh - and thanks for the input on flying. We would definitely fly in a day ahead of time.

Edited by jimmy2x

Have always thought that those inside cabins on the Lower Promenade would be nice due to the direct access to the Promenade itself. So - actually looking at the current configuration, we would be more likely to pick either an "I" or an "L" on that deck. Any thoughts or experience with these?

As a matter of fact, I have! I was once in one of the L-cabins, very near that short passageway to the outside deck, on the Maasdam.

I loved that I could use that rarely used door to get outside quickly, including going to, and coming from, muster. No crowds.

What I didn't like was the shaking me awake when we were coming into port. Didn't need an alarm clock those days! Now, if you think you should be up anyway when the ship is docking, then that's not a problem. It did not last long.

All those inside cabins on that deck are the same large inside configuration (unless I missed spotting an odd one that's different). They are a good size, with plenty of storage.

At the risk of being deemed a hi-jacker, I have a related question for Ruth C or anyone else with info...

My (92 year old) mother and I are looking at K cabins on the main deck of the Maasdam for Alaska next year. We like the proximity to the aft elevators and it looks as if there might be access to a sweet little deck nearby.

Anyone ever sailed in one of these cabins that might have an opinion to share? Is there a bathtub or a shower only? (This would be preferred due to Mom's mobility issues) Amount of room? storage? This will be our very first cruise with HAL and we're REALLY looking forward to it but I want to make sure it's the best and most comfortable time for Mom that it can be.

Thanks for any info you are able to share,

Becca

As long as there is advice being given out, how about Maasdam stateroom (L) 400?

It looks a tad larger and right near the handy door to the outside. Anyone know if it has a shower or tub?

Any comments will be appreciated as we are looking at several weeks on board.

Thanks to all

My (92 year old) mother and I are looking at K cabins on the main deck of the Maasdam for Alaska next year. We like the proximity to the aft elevators and it looks as if there might be access to a sweet little deck nearby.

Anyone ever sailed in one of these cabins that might have an opinion to share? Is there a bathtub or a shower only? (This would be preferred due to Mom's mobility issues) Amount of room? storage? This will be our very first cruise with HAL and we're REALLY looking forward to it but I want to make sure it's the best and most comfortable time for Mom that it can be.

Those cabins are a little too far aft for my taste, but that is my taste only, and otherwise there is nothing wrong with their location. I would choose one that's closer to the elevator than further away, though, if I were you; cuts down on Mom's walking.

Expect to find some vibration when the ship is docking.

These are "large" insides. As such, they should have 6 drawers in the desk, with the longer counter to top two rows of three drawers off. There may also be two drawers under the beds (I never bend low enough to check), in which the steward can store the second set of bedding---should he have it in the closets.

There will be two full closets, with optional shelving, along with a closet with shelves and safe up top, and hanging space for shorter things below.

In addition, there's two nightstands, with two drawers each. There is also a love seat, with an end table; there's two shelves in the table.

Plenty of storage!

It is shower only, a generous size. There's a lip of about 2-3" to step over. The shower takes up the space where the vanity goes in the outside cabins.

The sink will be in a long vanity, with a long shelf underneath; it takes up the space where the tub goes in the outside cabins.

There's also small shelves for medicines and toiletries.

I don't remember if the aft deck is open to guests on this ship, or if it is a work area. That differs, and I just can't keep them straight since I don't go out there.

As long as there is advice being given out, how about Maasdam stateroom (L) 400?

It looks a tad larger and right near the handy door to the outside. Anyone know if it has a shower or tub?

All inside cabins are shower only.

This is the basic "large" inside, and no different than the bulk of them on this, or the other S- and R-class ships.

Space and storage are as described above for the K-cabins.

Thanks to all

I've happily been in cabin 400 at least five times on the Maasdam! I consider it my home away from home. Yes, Ruth, the vibration when the ship is docking is noticeable, but I'm an early riser, and I consider it a wakeup call. The great thing about the cabin is that it is under the lower MDR, with no galley above or even a restroom. So it's quiet, and I love being able to pop out on deck easily. It is also a cabin or so removed from the steward's "closet," so you don't get any noise from that when they are working.

Thank you for your kind reply. We are doing the 51 day Mediterranean tour and need space for wheelchair and rollator. I remember a little table next to the couch which (hopefully) can be removed for storage of those items. The shower is a plus.