Yay for Carnival's Internet Packages!

geoatl

Have you found that Internet quality varies from ship to ship? When we did Triumph 5 yrs ago we paid for Internet and husband could get into office. On Liberty in 2013, tried to do the same but it was so slow we could not get into DH's office site without it bouncing us out. Went to guest services and they refunded the package. Last time on Liberty did not even try.

Our next cruise is still over a year off on Glory, but we would certainly pay $60 per cruise.

Also did not realize about the $2.99 water, that's a great deal not to drag it. Now if they would just do that for sodas.

I just got off the Splendor last week and I purchased the $99 premium plan for the week. I used a small travel router (purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=s9_al_bw_g147_i2) and I was able to connect my phone to the router, then connect the router to the Ship's wifi. Afterwards, I could connect multiple phones, tablets, laptops etc to the travel router and all of them share the internet connection. My in-laws in the next stateroom over were able to connect to the router and share internet too. Just though I'd throw this out there for the technicially-inclined.

I have this device (travelmate), but I thought you had to put your folio id and dob in as the password on their website logon.com once you connected to the wifi? Is this not correct for your ship? Was the package you bought the "new" internet packages or the old one they offer? Also, if you did use the new package, wonder if the same method would work with the social media package...and would it allow all of them to use the social media at the same time?

I have this device (travelmate), but I thought you had to put your folio id and dob in as the password on their website logon.com once you connected to the wifi? Is this not correct for your ship? Was the package you bought the "new" internet packages or the old one they offer? Also, if you did use the new package, wonder if the same method would work with the social media package...and would it allow all of them to use the social media at the same time?

You do have to put in the folio id to connect at logon.com. You connect your phone/laptop to the travelmate and you configure the travelmate to connect to the Splendor's Wifi. You then go to logon.com on your phone/laptop and login. Now any device which connects to the travelmate can share the connection and does not have to go to logon.com to authenticate. The Splendor's Wifi thinks all of the traffic is coming from the TravelMate, which is already authorized. The TravelMate will need to be at the default settings of course, to use NAT, instead of any kind of bridging. The package we bought was the new package, the old plans are no longer offered. I see no reason why if you bought the social media plan all of your devices could not share the same connection.

You do have to put in the folio id to connect at logon.com. You connect your phone/laptop to the travelmate and you configure the travelmate to connect to the Splendor's Wifi. You then go to logon.com on your phone/laptop and login. Now any device which connects to the travelmate can share the connection and does not have to go to logon.com to authenticate. The Splendor's Wifi thinks all of the traffic is coming from the TravelMate, which is already authorized. The TravelMate will need to be at the default settings of course, to use NAT, instead of any kind of bridging. The package we bought was the new package, the old plans are no longer offered. I see no reason why if you bought the social media plan all of your devices could not share the same connection.

Thanks, that clears it up! I also like the fact that the device allows you to plug a usb drive with movies and such and share them..so will work on the way down there (7hr drive) as entertainment! and then on the ship.

** i also ordered it from the link in the post... !

Edited by Dtread

Hello Folks, I was wondering what it would cost to simply check in for our flights, I don't want anything else, just check in.:confused:

Cheers :D Wullie

If you happen to be flying Southwest, purchase the "Early Bird" service for your return flights, and you will be automatically checked in (with good boarding position) before your flight and can just have your boarding passes printed at the airport.

Thanks, that clears it up! I also like the fact that the device allows you to plug a usb drive with movies and such and share them..so will work on the way down there (7hr drive) as entertainment! and then on the ship.

Exactly :) We left our tripmate plugged in to a USB charger which was plugged into a european outlet converter so it could use the extra 220v outlet and save the 110v outlet for everything else.

Also, don't forget once a day to connect your phone or laptop directly to the ship's Wifi (bypassing the tripmate) and go to logon.com and click on "Free Sites" and download a PDF copy of the Fun Times to keep on your phone. Then when you are done you can connect back to the Tripmate and be back online again.

So for someone who is not tech savy, is it hard to figure out how to configure the trave mate to the ships wifi, ect. This sounds great but I'm not sure I could pull it off on my own!

Price depends upon length of cruise. The rates I quoted were for an 8-day I was on. Social was $25 for the entire cruise/per user - there was also a daily rate, but I can't remember what those were.

You pay when you get on the ship. If you are still in port and have access to your existing network, switch to the ship's wifi and then when you attempt to visit a website or social media you are prompted to buy a plan. You can not pay specifically for internet in advance - I tried.

Thank you for your help :)

• 3 weeks later...
That sounds like something my husband would do...

Personally, I enjoy my week of no Internet and no connect with real life. I'm glad the days of having to check business while on vacation are over (used to be first thing we'd do in port, find wifi, check email, respond).

I sympathize because my husband is very technologically inclined as well and am thrilled that those who need it now have workable internet. One perk for us in cruising however has always been that we were "unreachable;" no checking office email, responding to problems etc. We have been able to claim that we could not get affordable internet; now we will just have to say that we will not pay for internet!:D For now the phones and tablets will continue without wifi!

Greg -

Thanks for posting!

I didn't realize there was a discount for ordering plans for the full length of the cruise!

Anyone know the rates for 7-day and 8-day sailings?

THX!

Vaule was 60 for 7 day cruise

The 3 x was 99

I don't rember what the social plan was

I just got off the Splendor last week and I purchased the $99 premium plan for the week. I used a small travel router (purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=s9_al_bw_g147_i2) and I was able to connect my phone to the router, then connect the router to the Ship's wifi. Afterwards, I could connect multiple phones, tablets, laptops etc to the travel router and all of them share the internet connection. My in-laws in the next stateroom over were able to connect to the router and share internet too. Just though I'd throw this out there for the technicially-inclined.

Just going to point out that it's behavior like this that causes us to not be able to have nice things. Once their IT figures out people are stealing bandwidth like that they're likely to introduce measures to stop it. Those measures will likely make the product more customer unfriendly.

which was plugged into a european outlet converter so it could use the extra 220v outlet and save the 110v outlet for everything else.

Also, don't forget once a day to connect your phone or laptop directly to the ship's Wifi (bypassing the tripmate) and go to logon.com and click on "Free Sites" and download a PDF copy of the Fun Times to keep on your phone. Then when you are done you can connect back to the Tripmate and be back online again.

BRAVO for the tip about using the European converter!! I have one of those, but NEVER thought about bringing it on a cruise!

Also, can I download a PDF of the Fun Times even without an internet package? ...or with the "social" package?

Thanks!!!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

Originally Posted by psikic viewpost.gif

I just got off the Splendor last week and I purchased the $99 premium plan for the week. I used a small travel router (purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._al_bw_g147_i2) and I was able to connect my phone to the router, then connect the router to the Ship's wifi. Afterwards, I could connect multiple phones, tablets, laptops etc to the travel router and all of them share the internet connection. My in-laws in the next stateroom over were able to connect to the router and share internet too. Just though I'd throw this out there for the technicially-inclined.

Just going to point out that it's behavior like this that causes us to not be able to have nice things. Once their IT figures out people are stealing bandwidth like that they're likely to introduce measures to stop it. Those measures will likely make the product more customer unfriendly.

I was thinking the same thing. Some network guy at Carnival is looking at network trending and thinking WT?? How is this guy hitting several Facebook pages a second, streaming Pandora and watching Netflix at the same time lol They'll eventually catch on and implement a way to block routers, but there will always be ways around it.