Current Captain onboard Queen Mary 2

PvTraveler

ask.cunard.com used to give the name and dates for the captains but now only says "you can typically see one of the following captains on board". Don't know of any other sites which will give you the exact dates for each captain.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/senior_officers

Edited by Scrapnana

Does anyone know who is the current Captain of the QM2 ? And/or how do you find that information on the current Cunard website. Thanks !

So glad you asked this question as I have been checking that almost daily to find out which captain we will have on M524B in October.

Anytime we have sailed with Chris Wells has been a delight. He is Captain Personality! Lovely fellow!

I'm sure Oprey is technically competent, but I would never characterize him as "delightful." Chris Wells is definitely our favorite!

In almost total agreement.

Captain Clark is a definite PLUS as is Captain Inger.

Sure do miss Ian and "Overnight" Wright!

Does anyone have a feel for how long a typical contract is for Cunard Captains?

I think for most cruise lines it's about 10-13 weeks but do not know how Cunard compares. I would think Captain Wells would rotate off somewhere mid to late November.

Roy

Cpt Wells took over from Cpt Oprey on 27th August 2015 sailing from Southampton so perhaps a change is due.

The Captains on the QM2 generally rotate every two months. I am on the QM2 late October and several months before they deleted the dates for the Captains, Capt. Oprey was listed on my voyage.

Thank you both. It sounds promising that Captain Wells will be on my October 11 crossing. On my last crossing (to Hamburg) I had Oprey to Southampton and Wells to Hamburg. Captain Wells is very nice. I have fewer recollections of Captain Oprey, my primary memory is of him handing the microphone off to his junior officers a lot; I think bringing along new talent is a plus. I think I prefer Wells but would gladly sail with either.

I just watched QM2 leave New York on the webcam; I think I will be boarding on the next call to New York.

Roy

Is there anyone onboard "as we speak" who can tell us definitively if Captain Wells will be our captain for the October 11 crossing?

And who is the assistant cruise director? Perhaps Ed Moffat? And, if so, will he be onboard for the October 11 crossing?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.

• 2 months later...