Trev-uk

Trev-uk

Hi

Going on PO aurora to Gibraltar this October 31st

Just checked the Gibraltar port authority website.

We will be docking 8am and leaving 1 pm.

By the time we have had breakfast,we wil only have about 3 hours their.

Can that be right

New to cruising

Trev

Hi Trev

If you want the waiter served breakfast these start around 7am I believe on Port days or Buffet starts earlier. Need to check the varying times in the Horizon Newsletter which the cabin steward delivers each night that will give exact breakfast options for that exact day. If you are doing a five hour stop you can get four and a half hours ashore if you push it.

Have a look at the Cruise Line Organised excursions and see how long they are and when they start. These are indicators as to when the ship will leave and you can always book an official one if you want to as they will hold the ship up for those guys to return.

Gibraltar is small and it is a bit hazardous to venture across international border in my opinion, into Spain on a tight time schedule in case they close the road across the runway. Google Gibraltar Airport.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi

Going on PO aurora to Gibraltar this October 31st

Just checked the Gibraltar port authority website.

We will be docking 8am and leaving 1 pm.

By the time we have had breakfast,we wil only have about 3 hours their.

Can that be right

New to cruising

Trev

I have cruised since 2001 and in that time I have never been to Gib for more than half a day. Standard practice. The Med cruises go so often as it is one of the few non EU ports ships can go to. If they stay in the EU then there is no Duty Free and the ship would have to charge UK taxes. Therefore you drop into Gib.

Unfortunately P&O in the majority only spend 1/2 day but we have been for full days on Princess and thoroughly enjoyed Gibraltar with not having to rush and the chance to see more at a relaxed pace.

Just looked at the Gib cruise schedule and Princess stay 9 till. But the seems to be no pattern for other lines. Some of Oriana callers are from morning until midnight. Never known that before they also have my next call as 8 till 14.00 on Britannia so that is only an hour less than Princess. Certainly a lot more variety in length of stay from the last time I looked.

Edited by daiB

Get up early and have breakfast and be ready to leave as soon as they are cleared to get off. Get one of the taxis that wait at the docks. As soon as they have about eight people they will leave for a two hour tour about £20 to £25 includes entrance to 4 attractions. They will drop you in town if you want at the end. Plenty of time yo look around and walk back to the ship.

We had a full day in Gib from Ventura this May. Plenty of time to take the service bus from the square, go up the cable car and wait for a service bus back. Agree, though, it's usual for a half day visit...I think of it as a sort of "make weight", like they used to put in chocolate boxes!....it's for EU reasons rather than for sight seeing, and the majority of P&O pax have been there so many times.

American ships use Gib differently, as it's a new foreign country for many passengers, especially Americans.