Back from Independence... a few thoughts

dlong1969

I'd say that if you want their best steak, there is an upcharge.

I'd skip Chops altogether and go to Giovanni's. Very nice filet there.

The last time I was at Chops before this cruise (2014), everything on the menu except for drinks and specialty coffees were included in the cover charge. this included my favorite, a really nice, large porterhouse steak. This is the ONLY time I ever allow myself that large a steak, is when we go to Chops on a cruise.

To my dismay, THIS is what they are upcharging... you pay 35 dollars a person to go to Chops to begin with, and then they charge you 20.00 upcharge for that steak. They also have a dry aged strip steak that I believe they are upcharging another 30 bucks for... and lobster also about 30 bucks.

The last time I was at Chops before this cruise (2014), everything on the menu except for drinks and specialty coffees were included in the cover charge. this included my favorite, a really nice, large porterhouse steak. This is the ONLY time I ever allow myself that large a steak, is when we go to Chops on a cruise.

To my dismay, THIS is what they are upcharging... you pay 35 dollars a person to go to Chops to begin with, and then they charge you 20.00 upcharge for that steak. They also have a dry aged strip steak that I believe they are upcharging another 30 bucks for... and lobster also about 30 bucks.

I miss that porterhouse too.

Does Chops still have the pork belly (melts in your mouth tasty)?:p And is it feasible to book seating when we get on board for the first night when they offer 20% off?:rolleyes:

I don't see the pork belly on the current menu.

We've always had good luck booking when we get on board.

You make a good point about the ships. The Freedom is much nicer than the Sovereign, which was our first ship back in 2006.

We had a good time. Don't misunderstand. The time alone with my wife is really what it is all about. We love the caribbean and the sea and the sun... so believe me, we really did relax and enjoy ourselves.

The problem is, when you use a product for a long time, you would expect that the product, over time, would improve and would refine itself. Especially in the hospitality industry... but not just there. When you buy a Mercedes, you expect a certain amount of refinement and quality that you don't expect from a Ford. You expect that from anything you purchase.

When we started cruising 10 years ago, the service is what made the difference. It was nice to be taken care of so efficiently, so professionally, so courteously.... and with that attitude on the decline, it is bothersome to us.

The price increases on board the ship... they appear to be a shameless attempt by corporate to push people to their overpriced all-inclusive packages.

It really does feel like the focus is on new customers, and not repeat cruisers. That's the consensus of alot of seasoned cruisers that we met on board.... that's really hard to swallow after spending 10 years of vacations with the company.... Another good example is the Windjammer. How long has it been since they changed the food in there? I mean, really? ON the way up there to get lunch the first day, we were joking around with each other, and we set out to guess exactly what food would be in the Windjammer, and exactly WHERE in the buffet it would be located. Do you know that we were probably well over 80% correct? And we had never been on this ship before! That speaks volumes, in my book!

I really do think that this is gonna be the last cruise we take for awhile. I don't post alot here, but I do read ALOT here... and I hear the same kind of contention from other repeat cruisers on other lines. The ships are sailing full... so there is no reason to go out of their way to entice their repeat customers.... kind of like how the airlines ended up... used to be a big deal to fly... now they cram you in so tight, one flight = 1 month in the chiropractic office to recover.. :)

Last night, when I brought up our annual Sept vacation, with our adult children, I was bluntly told, "no more cruises" (after last week on the Indy) :(:( Hubby and I will continue to cruise, but alone. Kid's are in their 30's and diamond members. Their new spouses inherited the statis. The Bar service was really that atrocious everywhere on the ship.

Does Chops still have the pork belly (melts in your mouth tasty)?:p And is it feasible to book seating when we get on board for the first night when they offer 20% off?:rolleyes:

Was on IOS two weeks ago and ate at Chops the first night. I didn't see pork belly on the menu and we did make our reservation right after we boarded to get the 20% discount. The ship was sold out so I don't think there will be a problem getting a reservation on the first night.

As for the Porterhouse I could never eat that much steak as I always order the 6oz Filet. There is a 9oz on there as well but that is way too much meat for me. The meal was delicious and if I wasn't with cheapskates I would have eaten there another night (lol).

Last night, when I brought up our annual Sept vacation, with our adult children, I was bluntly told, "no more cruises" (after last week on the Indy) :(:( Hubby and I will continue to cruise, but alone. Kid's are in their 30's and diamond members. Their new spouses inherited the statis. The Bar service was really that atrocious everywhere on the ship.

I'm curious, did you have package? We had good service on Indy last month. We didn't have a package. I was worried beforehand because of things I read hear. But we never had a problem.

Edited by dcgrumpy

I second Quest! It was different than the ones I had seen in the past - very unique challenges!

Deon at the pool bar was awesome!

Don - I agree with you on most of your points...To the point where the Diamond Concierge was offensive to me - I feel that tainted my week a bit and that was disappointing.

I will still take any day at sea over a day at work but just felt like the crew was eh...[/i]

I too found the Diamond Concierge to be rude. I told him so and he demanded, in a threatening manner, to know my cabin number. Since he was about 6'6" and 360 lbs he gave me a good scare.

Other than that experience, we had a lovely cruise.

I'm curious, did you have package? We had good service on Indy last month. We didn't have a package. I was worried beforehand because of things I read hear. But we never had a problem.

yes, had the package and will never purchase it again. I'll pay as I go and hope the service is better.

I too found the Diamond Concierge to be rude. I told him so and he demanded, in a threatening manner, to know my cabin number. Since he was about 6'6" and 360 lbs he gave me a good scare.

Hubby felt the same way and chose to go to the much smaller Concierge Lounge instead after a few less than gracious experiences with Butcher, the diamond Concierge. I think of all the concierges we have met on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, he was the least welcoming and personable of all.

Aaaaaah ,,,,,,,,,,, Senor Butcher

First impressions are just that.

Sailed with him for 3 weeks as DL concierge and my first impression was the same as the foregoing posters ............. but ............. if you actually talk to him you might have an entirely different perspective.

He is big and he is loud ......... and .................that alone can intimidate somewhat easily.

I compare Senor Butcher to a fine scotch ..................... nobody could actually like their first taste ................ however, with practice that perception changes mightily.

Sailed with him for 3 weeks as DL concierge and my first impression was the same as the foregoing posters ............. but ............. if you actually talk to him you might have an entirely different perspective.

He is big and he is loud ......... and .................that alone can intimidate somewhat easily.

I compare Senor Butcher to a fine scotch ..................... nobody could actually like their first taste ................ however, with practice that perception changes mightily.

I did talk with him and he told me he had just wasted 15 minutes of his time.

I would describe him more like the hangover you get after imbibing really cheap scotch.

We chatted with him as well and he basically told me - enjoy the lounge while you can because pretty soon - you won't be allowed in here anymore as it will become the D+ lounge.

Sorry I am only lowly diamond Gustav but...no need to be rude to me about it! He definitely gravitates to D+ and Pinnacle.

Hubby felt the same way and chose to go to the much smaller Concierge Lounge instead after a few less than gracious experiences with Butcher, the diamond Concierge. I think of all the concierges we have met on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, he was the least welcoming and personable of all.

Gangway Style, we are sailing on Indy in just over 2 weeks. We are D+ but are in an OS as well. From your experience as well as others it sounds as though we should skip the DL and hang at the CL. It can be our drop in place. That sounds positive as we are literally steps away from it.

Gangway Style, we are sailing on Indy in just over 2 weeks. We are D+ but are in an OS as well. From your experience as well as others it sounds as though we should skip the DL and hang at the CL. It can be our drop in place. That sounds positive as we are literally steps away from it.

we found the 3 drinks on our sea pass were a nice alternative to looking at that huge, hideous, hateful Butcher. We played trivia with a nice drink in hand from the Schooner Bar before dinner and socialized with everyone.

Edited by bonsat

Everyone seems to rave about the CL concierge! My travel mate was D+ but I am only D so we did not have an option. Enjoy the trip!

we found the 3 drinks on our sea pass were a nice alternative to looking at that huge, hideous, hateful Butcher. We played trivia with a nice drink in hand from the Schooner Bar before dinner and socialized with everyone.

I thought the bartender at the Schooner was great! I am drawing a blank on her name but addressed me every day by name and with a smile - was very nice!

The Diamond Lounge is something I enjoy, not for the concierge but for the atmosphere and a nice place to chat with people on such a large ship. I was bummed that he affected that experience for me. I should have not let it get to me but it did...

I thought the bartender at the Schooner was great! I am drawing a blank on her name but addressed me every day by name and with a smile - was very nice!

The Diamond Lounge is something I enjoy, not for the concierge but for the atmosphere and a nice place to chat with people on such a large ship. I was bummed that he affected that experience for me. I should have not let it get to me but it did...

Bummed me out too. The bad experience has put a cloud on all of the good times.

Btw, the waitress at Schooner was Dunja. What a lovely girl!

I was reading all the negatives regarding the Diamond Lounge experience on INDY...My question is are they no longer offering the 3 drink vouchers where one can get a drink during happy hour at most bars? Asking because we will be on Indy Oct 18th with two Newbes and was happy about the voucher system, don't plan on using the DL except maybe coffee and a Danish early mornings.

Thanks

If you are referring to the grilled black pepper bacon appetizer, it was still on the menu on Independence last week.

That must be it!!!!!! Yay!!! If you love bacon, you will absolutely enjoy this!!;) Melts in your mouth!!:p Oops! I think I just gained a few pounds!!:o

I was reading all the negatives regarding the Diamond Lounge experience on INDY...My question is are they no longer offering the 3 drink vouchers where one can get a drink during happy hour at most bars? Asking because we will be on Indy Oct 18th with two Newbes and was happy about the voucher system, don't plan on using the DL except maybe coffee and a Danish early mornings.

Thanks

yes, the three vouchers can be used in most bars between 5 and 8:30.

That must be it!!!!!! Yay!!! If you love bacon, you will absolutely enjoy this!!;) Melts in your mouth!!:p Oops! I think I just gained a few pounds!!:o

You better hope the cruisers the week before you don't eat all the bacon, and by cruisers I mean me.:D