Penthouse suite on Star princess

Jasp 0401

We are looking at doing an Alaskan Cruise .We are thinking of a Penthouse or a Vista suite.Has anyone stay in a Vista or a Penthouse? What was your experience? What are the amenities you get for booking a suite on Princess.As we have never cruised with Princess only Royal Caribbean .We are not sure which suite would be best.So any tips we can get would be wonderful.

Thanks

Edited by Jasp 0401

The Vista and Penthouse suites are very similar, the main difference being the Penthouse suite is larger. I've had both and the criteria I use when booking is easy: if it is just my wife and I and we are traveling with another couple and plan to do a little entertaining, the Vista Suite is perfect; if we have more friends along we get a Penthouse or Owner's Suite because they have a dining area the Vista doesn't have and a larger sitting area.

I hope this helps. I have a copy of the suite amenities I will post as soon as I find it. :rolleyes:

Here it is:

001_zps2d8506f0.jpg

Edited by f-mattox

The Vista and Penthouse suites are very similar, the main difference being the Penthouse suite is larger. I've had both and the criteria I use when booking is easy: if it is just my wife and I and we are traveling with another couple and plan to do a little entertaining, the Vista Suite is perfect; if we have more friends along we get a Penthouse or Owner's Suite because they have a dining area the Vista doesn't have and a larger sitting area.

I hope this helps. I have a copy of the suite amenities I will post as soon as I find it. :rolleyes:

Here it is:

001_zps2d8506f0.jpg

Thankyou very much for all the information. We are traveling with other people so the dining table would be very useful. Thanks

There is a link to pictures of our PH suite on the Star Princess for January 2015. Unlike most others who prefer the aft, we prefer the PH suites at the center of the Caribe deck because they have less motion, less vibration, and less noise.

I thought only the Owner's suites have the dining area with table and 4 chairs.
As far as I know, only the Owner's Suites and Grand Suites have a table and four chairs inside. We have been in a Vista Suite and a Penthouse Suite and no table and chairs in either suite.

The Vista Suites are only aft with the Dolphin deck suites having larger balconies than the Emerald deck suites. The balconies on the aft suites are fully covered. We really enjoyed the wake view from our Dolphin deck Vista Suite. Friends were in an Emerald deck Vista Suite and said that the wake noise was a bit much at times. There are a couple of aft Penthouse suites but on the Star most Penthouse Suites are midship on Caribe deck. Those balconies are 9'x9' and slightly over half covered. We really enjoyed the views of the Stockholm Archipelago and leaving St. Petersberg from our midship Penthouse Suite. On most cruises we would prefer the aft Dolphin deck Vista Suite.

Edited by IECalCruiser

I thought only the Owner's suites have the dining area with table and 4 chairs.

You are right; I misspoke about the Penthouse suites having a dining table. It is the Owner's suite and the Grand suite on the ships that have them that have the dining table.

Sorry for misleading.

There is a link to pictures of our PH suite on the Star Princess for January 2015. Unlike most others who prefer the aft, we prefer the PH suites at the center of the Caribe deck because they have less motion, less vibration, and less noise.

Thanks great photos

Edited by Jasp 0401

Vista Suites, and particularly D736, are fantastic for Alaska.

From the fab aft balcony, you get to see all of the sights, not just one side.

Room service breakfast or lunch or dinner is fantastic when viewing the sights of Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, or Snow Pass.

Give it some consideration:)

Vista Suites' date=' and particularly D736, are fantastic for Alaska.

From the fab aft balcony, you get to see all of the sights, not just one side.

Room service breakfast or lunch or dinner is fantastic when viewing the sights of Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, or Snow Pass.

Give it some consideration:)[/quote']

Sounds lovely and yesterday I thought we would go with the Penthouse and now I am not so sure. So much to think about thanks

Thanks everyone for all great information. We are traveling with family and was thinking we could get 2 suites next to each other. Does anyone know if the balcony can be opened up so we can have one big balcony. You can on some cruises lines but unsure if you can on Princess. Thanks

Thanks everyone for all great information. We are traveling with family and was thinking we could get 2 suites next to each other. Does anyone know if the balcony can be opened up so we can have one big balcony. You can on some cruises lines but unsure if you can on Princess. Thanks
There is a door in the balcony divider that can be opened by your steward but it is only two feet wide so just enough space to walk between balconies. If you want a very big balcony you need to book the Owner's Suite or the Grand Suite on Baja deck. The Owner's Suite should have a dining table and four chairs inside and the more expensive Grand Suite should have a table and six chairs inside.

There is a door in the balcony divider that can be opened by your steward but it is only two feet wide so just enough space to walk between balconies. If you want a very big balcony you need to book the Owner's Suite or the Grand Suite on Baja deck. The Owner's Suite should have a dining table and four chairs inside and the more expensive Grand Suite should have a table and six chairs inside.

Thanks

Don't forget the free thermal spa perk that goes along with booking a suite on a ship with Thermal Spas. I do believe the Star has this.

Thanks I didn't know about the Thermal Spa.

Does anyone know with the Bar set up. Do you get a choice of what they put in it. As we are not big drinkers and would prefer a bottle of wine than spirits.

Thanks

Edited by Jasp 0401

Hi Trish, why don't you join us? We are doing Alaska on the Ruby in May. We have booked an OS - a big birthday:eek:

Yes you can change the spirits for a bottle of wine (I think to the value of $40). We will be doing that in a couple of weeks on the Diamond - we aren't spirit drinkers.

Cheers

Di

Edited by Dizziedi

Thanks I didn't know about the Thermal Spa.

Does anyone know with the Bar set up. Do you get a choice of what they put in it. As we are not big drinkers and would prefer a bottle of wine than spirits.

Thanks

Rather than only get one bottle of wine we exchange all of the liquor for a total of 10 bottles of beer and all for the soft drink for a total of 10 bottles of water. We then bring our own wine on board and pay the $15 corkage for extra bottles. We did trade the entire set-up for the one bottle of wine on the second leg of two 7 day B2B cruises because we still had beer and water from the first cruise.

Hi Trish, why don't you join us? We are doing Alaska on the Ruby in May. We have booked an OS - a big birthday:eek:

Yes you can change the spirits for a bottle of wine (I think to the value of $40). We will be doing that in a couple of weeks on the Diamond - we aren't spirit drinkers.

Cheers

Di

Hi Di

That sounds great we will look at whether we can do May.On a cruise is the best way to celebrate a birthday. We just got to check with our 24 yr old daughter.She never wants to cruise but wants to come on this one with us. So we are looking at when she can best get time off work.Our 2 girls then want to get their own cabin together so they can go off and do their own thing.

Thanks about the information on the wine . Enjoy your Diamond cruise

Cheers Trish

Edited by Jasp 0401

Hi Di

That sounds great we will look at whether we can do May.On a cruise is the best way to celebrate a birthday. We just got to check with our 24 yr old daughter.She never wants to cruise but wants to come on this one with us. So we are looking at when she can best get time off work.Our 2 girls then want to get their own cabin together so they can go off and do their own thing.

Thanks about the information on the wine . Enjoy your Diamond cruise

Cheers Trish

Hi Trish, hope you can join us. We are cruising to Seattle on the Explorer and then will board the Ruby on the 22nd May.

Email me (at my usual address not the allblacks one) if you can make it.

Cheers

Di