Ditching Princess for a Queen

Asa Hartz

Hello:

As long-time Princess cruisers, we decided to try Cunard for a change, and are booked on the QE to the eastern Med, 7-21 Oct. In preparation, I've been watching Downton Abbey reruns, brushing up on my bow-tying skills, and practicing to pronounce words like "shedule," "lift" and "clark." Is there anything else we should know? Must we always look right when exiting our cabin?

Edited by Asa Hartz

Hello:

As long-time Princess cruisers, we decided to try Cunard for a change, and are booked on the QE to the eastern Med, 7-21 Oct. In preparation, I've been watching Downton Abbey reruns, brushing up on my bow-tying skills, and practicing to pronounce words like "shedule," "lift" and "clark." Is there anything else we should know? Must we always look right when exiting our cabin?

Don't forget to extend your little finger whilst partaking of a cup of tea :D

PARTIAL QUOTE

Hello:

...Must we always look right when exiting our cabin?

Hi Asa. No, you don't have to always look right when exiting your cabin. In fact it's a good idea to look left and then right or vice versa depending on whether your cabin is port or starboard. :D -S.

You can substitute the word "dessert" with the word "pudding." Expect these to be somewhat less sweet than those on Princess.

The QE is a lovely ship. Showers a bit less tight than those on Princess. Decor more attractive in public areas. You will enjoy spending time on her.

I think you will make the transition without any difficulties.

Happy Sailing!

Hi Asa. No, you don't have to always look right when exiting your cabin. In fact it's a good idea to look left and then right or vice versa depending on whether your cabin is port or starboard. S.
I agree :)

"look left, look right, look left again" as they say.

(I also always remember, as a rower from the lower orders, to cast my eyes down, looking at the carpet, when a Grills Passenger passes in a corridor (I believe turning to face the wall has recently fallen from fashion). However, is it still correct etiquette to do a full Kowtow if the passenger in question is booked into a Q1? Your help and guidance on this subject is much appreciated :) )

To the OP, As jimmybean has said, QE is a lovely ship, I really enjoyed my time on her. I'm sure you will as well. There are photos of her interiors available via the link below, I hope they help to get you "in the mood" :) , Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

There won't be the pink and blue bands in the carpet which tell you whether you are on port or starboard.

You will find on formal nights that people are dressed formally. On my last Princess cruise 2012 formal night was a joke.

One Princess amenity that I miss was the level of service in the buffet. When we'd leave the food area there was usually someone there to help us find an available table (as often as not offering to carry our tray to the table). I've never seen that on Cunard.

One Princess amenity that I miss was the level of service in the buffet. When we'd leave the food area there was usually someone there to help us find an available table (as often as not offering to carry our tray to the table). I've never seen that on Cunard.

Adding to Underwatr's remarks: there are waiters in the buffet on Princess ships who go table to table and offer coffee, water, juice etc; on Cunard ships beverages in the buffet are self-service.

Touches like these make Princess buffet easier to maneuver and a more civilized experience than Cunard.

Adding to Underwatr's remarks: there are waiters in the buffet on Princess ships who go table to table and offer coffee, water, juice etc; on Cunard ships beverages in the buffet are self-service.

Touches like these make Princess buffet easier to maneuver and a more civilized experience than Cunard.

Hello,it is very difficult to reply to the above without causing offence.

I say this because it is just plain wrong.

On Cunard in the Lido there are several people dispensing Tea and Coffee and several other people carrying at least four varieties of soft drinks.

Rodger.

Hello,it is very difficult to reply to the above without causing offence. I say this because it is just plain wrong. On Cunard in the Lido there are several people dispensing Tea and Coffee and several other people carrying at least four varieties of soft drinks. Rodger.
Hi Rodger,

Like you I do not wish to cause offence :o . The above may have been your experience, mine over several trips on four Cunard ships, has been different.

The only time I have observed stewards dispensing drinks in a buffet, was in the Kings Court on QM2 was when there was a norovirus alert in place. Ropes prevented passengers getting near the machines or cups/glasses, we had to ask for what we required. After a few days at sea (transatlantic) this was relaxed as the outbreak had been contained and all went back to normal, ie self-serve.

In the Lidos on QE, QV (and QE2), and normally in the Kings Court on QM2, I have yet to see stewards dispensing drinks as a matter of standard routine, it has been self-serve, as far as I have observed. Unless something has changed recently of course that I am not aware of?

You were clearly very lucky :) , and equally clearly I've been unlucky so far :( !

Best wishes and happy sailings.

Edited by pepperrn

Foster 269 is correct. The serving of coffee and tea from insulated pots and also fruit juices by waiters in the Lido on the QE and QV has been going on for a while now. We've had it on our last three cruises. Each table is set with upturned mugs and milk in a small lidded jug.

When the ships were refitted, they removed the alcove seating areas (and thereby losing 20 seats) and installed areas for the waiters to prepare the drinks.

Foster 269 is correct. The serving of coffee and tea from insulated pots and also fruit juices by waiters in the Lido on the QE and QV has been going on for a while now. We've had it on our last three cruises. Each table is set with upturned mugs and milk in a small lidded jug.

When the ships were refitted, they removed the alcove seating areas (and thereby losing 20 seats) and installed areas for the waiters to prepare the drinks.

Really? We haven't been on the QE since spring of 2013 and the QM2 since 2014. I was unaware of this change (improvement) and I stand corrected…. A smart addition! Nice to hear about this!

I haven't been on Princess for a while, so hopefully this is not too dated.

Unless you are in the Grills or Britannia Club you have to eat in the main dining room at either the early or late sitting - there is no anytime dining. However, the Britannia restaurant is magnificent on all 3 ships, especially QM2, so it is a real treat.

The showers do tend to be smaller, but they have the individual bottles of toiletries which I prefer to the way Princess provides toiletries.

I love having a pub lunch in the Golden Lion - so that's a big advantage for me! You know you are not in a real British pub, but you can pretend you are. Also, if you enjoy quizzes, they have great quizzes there, but things can get quite competitive, especially when I'm on board.

It's not Downton Abbey, but afternoon tea in the Queens Room, with a harp playing in the background makes me feel quite posh.

The lectures on Cunard are great - I sometimes think I deserve a diploma by the end of a trip, but I do prefer the production shows on Princess.

I have never had a substandard voyage on Princess, but I totally love the Cunard experience. I hope you also have a grand time :)

Foster 269 is correct. The serving of coffee and tea from insulated pots and also fruit juices by waiters in the Lido on the QE and QV has been going on for a while now. We've had it on our last three cruises. Each table is set with upturned mugs and milk in a small lidded jug. When the ships were refitted, they removed the alcove seating areas (and thereby losing 20 seats) and installed areas for the waiters to prepare the drinks.
Thank you Ray66 for pointing out my mistake :o . I stand corrected. I haven't seen this yet, and look forward to it next summer. Thank you again.

Hello,it is very difficult to reply to the above without causing offence. I say this because it is just plain wrong. On Cunard in the Lido there are several people dispensing Tea and Coffee and several other people carrying at least four varieties of soft drinks. Rodger.
Hi Rodger,

My sincere apologies for doubting you :o . I'd never seen this happen on board normally, and had missed seeing the change reported here.

Now I'm wondering how long ago the Lido/Kings Court system was changed?

Thank you for mentioning this, and again my apologies :o

With all best wishes and happy sailings :)

Good morning pepper.

Thank you for the appology.Not needed but these are the manners we have come to expect from fellow Curnard people.

You are not the first nor will you be the last to doubt me.

My wife thinks there may only be three juices.She allways was picky,

Rodger.

We did a repositioning on Ruby Princess to NY last year then cruised back on QM2 so we feel well placed to compare.

We love the relaxed atmosphere aboard Princess and the exceptionally friendly crew. We like the loyalty system much better on Princess too. On the other hand, Cunard has a more formal atmosphere and it had an exceptionally traditional feel - but not quite Downton Abbey. We love all the extra touches which just seem to happen, like a welcoming bottle of champagne in an ice-bucket and the cabins are well laid out. We'd say the crew are definitely very polite but more reserved than Princess.