Iphone

MMPERRY2006

Are you meaning to be available by phone? Or using it for emails/texts. If by phone, not sure what the costs of international calls are. If text and email, just use wifi and turn off cellular thru airplane mode. You'll have to pay for wifi on the ship but the prices are ok if it has the new packages.

Edited by Hoosierpop

The crazy bills are data usage. Go ensure that data roaming is off. It's an option in your settings. That's the default setting. No data roaming, no surprise bills.

For non-data, most US carriers charge around $2 per minute for making and receiving calls, 25-50c for sending a text, $1 for sending an MMS, and incoming texts and MMS are often free. That shouldn't break the bank if it's critical that you stay in touch. And if you don't answer or make any calls, or don't send any texts, you won't have a charge. Those rates are typical international rates and generally apply onboard and on land.

Edited by realjd

I usually just put it in airplane mode while on the ship and on islands. I can still use it for picture taking. If I do notice there is WiFi I might connect to that but then turn it back to airplane mode

I think this is the safest option, the new internet plans will work by hooking up to the ships wifi even in airplane mode. I usually use my iPad instead because I can still message using WIFI and no dataplan so no Huge charges.

you should also turn off the push notifications. go to setting--mail,contacts,calendars--fetch new data--turn off push.

this will keep your phone from down loading info if you accidentally turn it on without it being in airplane mode. if this happens out of the us you will have a big bill when you get home.

Actually, somethings data roaming is needed. We geocache and if we have trouble finding what we are looking for, data roaming can be very helpful. We turn it on, use it briefly, and turn it back off. We always buy a data package for this reason, though we keep data roaming off until we need it.

I usually just put it in airplane mode while on the ship and on islands. I can still use it for picture taking. If I do notice there is WiFi I might connect to that but then turn it back to airplane mode

After you put your phone in airplane mode, you can go and manually turn wi-fi back on... so there would be no need to turn it off airplane mode to get wifi :)

Edited by cruisinparamedic

Thanks!

I will be turning off data and push notifications and going to airplane mode then using ships wifi! $5 a day is well worth it! I don't want to read my email but I need to keep the phone close.

Do you know if FaceTime will work with the Social Media package?

Catalina is part of Los Angeles county. It's only "22 miles" (as the song says) off shore.

Many restaurants in Ensenada have Wifi. Many are along Ave Primera/Ave Lopez. Look for the crew with laptops.

Doubt FaceTime will work. It barely works on the full strength ship wifi.

FWIW calling on you cell from the ship is $2.49/minute. Calling from the cabin phone is $0.99/minute.

Edited by SadieN

The few hours south of the border shouldn't be worth worrying. I did just read where a provider was considering Mexico and Canada the same as being in the US, as far as service is concerned.

T Mobile

Some of the replies have missed what you asked about; you need to be available for a call not Internet data. Airplane mode disables that call option. As a business owner where a quick decision can pay for my cruise in profits here is what I do.

Disable all Background App Refresh in Settings/General

Turn off Cellular Data in Cellular

Turn On Data Roaming

Set the phone to Do Not Disturb

Tag your contacts with Favorite for those you want to be able to ring through

Hello Vacation. This works remarkable for me in not having outrageous bills.

Edited by BallFour4