Price drops - how likely are they?

bwindi

I ask my question as I am considering a cruise in April 2017 - Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver and was wondering how likely price drops are.

I have had two experiences of price drops that have worked out well for me. So I guess my question is how likely or often does a price drop happen [the cruise if booked would be my fourth so I am not exactly a savvy cruiser yet – just working on it].

I am considering booking the balcony cabin I would prefer and take any price drop that comes. The prices for this cruise are not yet available [in the UK at least] but a Princess Cruise Consultant has advised that a mid-ship inside cabin is £2118pp – I appreciate it’s a three week cruise but it’s still a bit eye watering.

For an unusual itinerary, which this sounds like, price drops are far less likely. This is the type of itinerary that experienced cruisers jump on. If it were me and I'm willing to pay the current price, I'd book it.

I did this cruise three years ago on the Island Princess and fares went up, not down.

The more popular cruises that sell quickly rarely see price drops. It is all a matter of timing and how well that cruise has sold.

The current cruise we have booked has sold extremely well and the prices are now higher than when we booked.

On our Grand Med cruise the price dropped more than once. I think the cost of flying and the slow economy recovery had something to do with it.

Hard to predict.

Looks like a canal cruise. In the past the canal cruises have sold extremely well. As others have said I've really only seen the prices go up. Occasionally Princess might offer paying tips or a drinks package. If you really want the cruise I would book it. Worst case you can always cancel before final payment. Unless of course being from England you have different terms. Happy sailing.

In general it will be unusual to see significant price drops before final payment time.

Princess (and other cruise lines ranging from Carnival to Royal Caribbean) are trying to maintain pricing levels to avoid discounting that "cheapens" the image of the cruise line.

Instead, there will be promotions such as the "3 for Free" that have amenities such as free gratuities which effectively lower the cost of the cruise, but which do not lower the prince of booking the cruise.

Of course, if a ship gets close to selling out, prices will increase and there will be fewer promotions.

In effect, Princess is saying you should book early as pricing will not come down, at least by final payment time. It seems to be working as cruises for Carnival Corp cruise lines (which include Princess and Carnival) for the first half of 2016 are ahead of past years' bookings.

Now, after final payment is another question.

Of course by then, there may not be much of a selection, if any, of cabins available. There may be lower pricing, but without the amenities such as free AIBP or free gratuities. And the cruise lines have said they would rather sail with a few cabins unsold rather than have deep discounting in the final days before the start of a cruise.

Edited by caribill

We booked a 15 day Hawaii R/T from San Francisco under the AIBP back in July. The price now, without the beverage package (but prepaid grats which is TECHNICALLY worth $1500 less +/-) has gone UP $300 per cabin from when we booked. We're feeling pretty good about having booked when we did. (Not to mention not dreading the bill at the end for the bar bills, bottled waters, teas and all :D)

How long is a piece of string?

I don't think anyone here can tell you what is likely to happen with prices.

An itinerary that is seldom offered has, as a general rule, less chance than one that's offered a few times a year.