Rccl travel insurance

berylde

We are cruising in December with someone who has alot of health issues. I had signed up for RCCL's insurance, but I called their insurance company and found out their are restrictions on their cancellation policy.

So, I will have to look elsewhere. Anyone have a recommendation for a private insurance company?

We are cruising in December with someone who has alot of health issues. I had signed up for RCCL's insurance, but I called their insurance company and found out their are restrictions on their cancellation policy.

So, I will have to look elsewhere. Anyone have a recommendation for a private insurance company?

These are good sources to try:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

If you buy the insurance when you book, the exclusions are waived.

Or within 14-21 days depending on the carrier.

I very much like using Steve (owner) at the Trip Insurance Store or any of his staff...so helpful and knowledgable.

(888) 407-3854

Call them with any questions you have about trip insurance.

If you buy the insurance when you book, the exclusions are waived.

RCCL's Cruisecare does not provide a pre-existing waiver as other insurance companies provide if the policy is purchased within 10-14 days ( Varies by policy and carrier).

RCCL's Cruisecare policy will not cover any pre-existing condition in which the person has been treated for within 60days of the cruise. Refer to page 8 of this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

Edited by xxoocruiser

May be a dumb question. Is it when the deposit is placed or when you make

final payment?

In order to have a pre-existing waiver the policy must be purchased within 10-14 days (varies by policy & carrier) of the initial booking which is the date deposit was paid)

Edited by xxoocruiser

I have read many posts on CC advising/recommending/commenting against purchasing cruise line insurance. I'd be interested in hearing from cruisers who have actually purchased both types (cruise line and other insurers) at one time or other what your pro's and con's are for one over the other?

For those cruisers who have actually purchased cruise line insurance at one time and then bought insurance from other insurance carriers on a different but similar cruise, did you find the cost difference to be the only negative against purchasing cruise line insurance? Or were there significant shortcomings in cruise line insurance vs others? Were there issues in getting claims processed or reimbursed from cruise line insurance?

I've purchased both (cruise line vs other cruise insurers) on 2 different cruises and couldn't see much of a difference, however I did not do any 'deep diving' comparisons. I have not had the need to file any claims, luckily! Important for me was medical and medical evacuation coverage, other coverage wasn't important for me.

Thanks,

It likely ISN'T covering preexisting if you wait until final payment.

This varies by company. We buy insurance through CSA that covers if purchased within 24 hours of Final payment, as long as you are fit to travel on day of insurance purchase.

We've also done many other companies and just adjusted the coverage as we added items (land based tours more so than cruises). Book with just the deposit amount, then add airfare, and then final amounts. They do adjust the premium, but you're covered for issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MonDreamr1

I have read many posts on CC advising/recommending/commenting against purchasing cruise line insurance. I'd be interested in hearing from cruisers who have actually purchased both types (cruise line and other insurers) at one time or other what your pro's and con's are for one over the other?

For those cruisers who have actually purchased cruise line insurance at one time and then bought insurance from other insurance carriers on a different but similar cruise, did you find the cost difference to be the only negative against purchasing cruise line insurance? Or were there significant shortcomings in cruise line insurance vs others? Were there issues in getting claims processed or reimbursed from cruise line insurance?

I've purchased both (cruise line vs other cruise insurers) on 2 different cruises and couldn't see much of a difference, however I did not do any 'deep diving' comparisons. I have not had the need to file any claims, luckily! Important for me was medical and medical evacuation coverage, other coverage wasn't important for me.

Thanks,

I have only booked outside insurance, but often the policy coverage is higher and I find that for me it's cheaper (I'm 40-- for someone older, this isn't necessarily the case). Either way, you need to read each policy to know what you are getting. I also tend to combine multiple travel vendors, such as air or land tours, so I'm covering everything.

In summary:

Coverage is often better with outside carriers

Pre-existing wavers are possible with outside carriers

Ability to insure the full trip, if using multiple travel vendors

Yes, it's cheaper-- but this isn't usually my deciding factor.

It likely ISN'T covering preexisting if you wait until final payment.

I have read the policy and it definitely covers pre-existing plus my TA says it covers. It has great coverage and it is not very expensive. We are older people (67 & 65) and are glad that we don't have to pay a lot for it.

We actually had to use it this past April because my DH got very sick 4 days before we were to leave on our cruise and it covered everything that it was supposed to.

RCCL's Cruisecare does not provide a pre-existing waiver as other insurance companies provide if the policy is purchased within 10-14 days ( Varies by policy and carrier).

RCCL's Cruisecare policy will not cover any pre-existing condition in which the person has been treated for within 60days of the cruise. Refer to page 8 of this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

RC Cruise Care does provide a pre-existing condition waiver provided the condition did not WORSEN in the 60 days prior to purchasing the waiver. The operational word is worsen.

I have read the policy and it definitely covers pre-existing plus my TA says it covers. It has great coverage and it is not very expensive. We are older people (67 & 65) and are glad that we don't have to pay a lot for it.

We actually had to use it this past April because my DH got very sick 4 days before we were to leave on our cruise and it covered everything that it was supposed to.

That's great-- what company?