Using HAL for air travel?

meaclasact2

We are doing the Land/Sea trip next September - beginning in Fairbanks and ending in Vancouver. I know it's a way off but I did some preliminary checking on air travel from JFK NY to Fairbanks...not much to choose from and horrific flights.

Have any of you used HAL air choices and, if so, specifically for your Alaska trip that starts in Alaska?

Thoughts and/or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You might want to look over on the Cruise Air board at the pluses and minuses of consolidator air fares, which is what HAL uses.

Also, HAL will use the same flights you see. They don't have access to some secret flights. If the public schedules look ugly, well, what do you think HAL's offerings will be?

I will be trying HAL air for the very first time in a few days. I booked through them primarily because I know nothing about booking flights and I end in a different city than I start. It just seemed easier.

I also booked the transfer to the terminal from the airport with them. Good luck with whichever way you go.

We used HAL for air travel in August. Before I called, I already knew the flight I wanted and the airline. I had a couple of options that would work for me. They quoted a few possibilities and then I asked them if they could book the option I had previously researched. Not only did they do that, but we also got it for less! Our experience was great! We opted for the hotel and free shuttle offered by HAL. Again, the prices were competitive. Just know your stuff before you call and ask them for what you want!

We used HAL for air travel in August. Before I called, I already knew the flight I wanted and the airline. I had a couple of options that would work for me. They quoted a few possibilities and then I asked them if they could book the option I had previously researched. Not only did they do that, but we also got it for less! Our experience was great! We opted for the hotel and free shuttle offered by HAL. Again, the prices were competitive. Just know your stuff before you call and ask them for what you want!

I did precisely that when we cruised on RCI - I used their cruise air and it worked out perfectly and for less than what was being advertised on kayak. I'm hoping that HAL will do that as well. At this point I'm open for all options - we may have to fly into Seattle the day before and then take Air Alaska up to Fairbanks the next day...I want to see how that would work with HAL. Either way it is going to be a minimum of 13 hours traveling from NY to get there.

Thanks for sharing your experience...nothing like the voice of experience to help as a guide!

Alaska Airlines flies out of Newark(EWR) thru Seattle to Fairbanks. Just did a quick search of flights using a July departure date. Leave EWR at 7:40 connect thru Seattle and arrive Fairbanks late afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestion - EWR is quite a distance from where we live - JFK is the way to go for us. I am guessing that the Alaska Air flight you mention going out of Seattle is the same one I am seeing but with a connection from JFK. The flight gets into FAI at 430 - which is terrific.

Thanks again. I appreciate the search.

- we may have to fly into Seattle the day before and then take Air Alaska up to Fairbanks the next day...

I would give that idea very serious consideration. Remember, there's a 4-hour time difference between NYC and Fairbanks, and flying straight through makes for a long, exhausting day.

I find the ride to Seattle tiring enough, especially when you add in there is no opportunity for a decent meal to refuel the body on the way. Fairbanks is another long-ish flight. The overnight rest could make less to recover from, and make your time in Fairbanks more enjoyable.

Edited by RuthC

I would give that idea very serious consideration. Remember, there's a 4-hour time difference between NYC and Fairbanks, and flying straight through makes for a long, exhausting day.

I find the ride to Seattle tiring enough, especially when you add in there is no opportunity for a decent meal to refuel the body on the way. Fairbanks is another long-ish flight. The overnight rest could make less to recover from, and make your time in Fairbanks more enjoyable.

When I am ready to book the air I'll see what HAL has to offer in the way of a night over in Seattle...it would just be to get a good night of sleep and then get on the plane for Fairbanks the next day. Thanks again!

Personally I don't use HAL or any cruise line air arrangements. I've read here they've gotten better but when we first started cruising cruise line air was usually more expensive and less desirable routes and times. Kind of got us in the habit of booking our own air. Add that today both Mrs K and I are advanced status frequent flyers and with that status comes free luggage, preferred seats when traveling coach, priority boarding, and discounted airline club membership. There's not much incentive to use cruise line air. Obviously we're seasoned and frequent air travelers so we've also enrolled in TSA PreCheck which usually gets us through security quickly. We do what we can to make our travel as least uncomfortable as possible from sticking with one primary airline to knowing how to pack to scoping out the best routes and times to travel.

Edited by Randyk47