Paradise...not so

LeanneS

As a guy who has never been classified as a 'clean freak' I am genuinely curious. What exactly would having a coverup, shirt on or shoes do for sanitation purposes for the buffet out by the pool? Wouldnt the more important thing be to make sure everyone uses hand sanitizer(which isnt enforced on Carnival)?

The cover-ups and shirts I see men/women put on after getting out of a pool generally leave the arms bear, so all is covering up is just the actual body, which im not sure how is making the buffet any more sanitary, I guess is my point...

Been on the Paradise twice. It was a little bit of a party boat but we managed to have fun. There were kids also.

We would do it again.

Usually in Sept. - April there are not usually as many kids and you an find some decent prices. Which is when we usually cruise.

Wonder if Summer with more Family's are actually less a party crowd?

Of course then you have lots of kids.

What exactly would having a coverup, shirt on or shoes do for sanitation purposes for the buffet out by the pool?...

As a rule of thumb, try to cover parts of your body that come in contact with seats or other surfaces any time you're near somewhere where food is being served. While it's almost impossible to prevent all contamination caused by hair, sweat and other body fluids being left behind, the best people can do is to try to minimize it by wearing appropriate cover ups, shirts, etc.

But putting sanitation aside, people should use some common sense. That a piece of attire is acceptable doesn't mean that it's pleasing to the eyes of others. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "Sweaty Smuggled Chewbacca Effect" (overly hairy men wearing tank tops with big cut offs and looking like they are smuggling a sweaty Chewbacca under each arm, sitting 2 feet from me at the lido buffet. Not what I want to stare at while I'm enjoying my lunch!) [emoji85]

Edited by Tapi

As a rule of thumb, try to cover parts of your body that come in contact with seats or other surfaces any time you're near somewhere where food is being served. While it's almost impossible to prevent all contamination caused by hair, sweat and other body fluids being left behind, the best people can do is to try to minimize it by wearing appropriate cover ups, shirts, etc.

But putting sanitation aside, people should use some common sense. That a piece of attire is acceptable doesn't mean that it's pleasing to the eyes of others. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "Sweaty Smuggled Chewbacca Effect" (overly hairy men wearing tank tops with big cut offs and looking like they are smuggling a sweaty Chewbacca under each arm, sitting 2 feet from me at the lido buffet!) [emoji85]

So theoretically, if someone is using the lido buffet to get food and then going back to their deck chairs, where they have been, there really isnt a true concern outside of the OP not wanting to see people in bikinis and without shirts on? I dont think we want to start policing people based on "pleasing of the eyes" as that opens a whole new level of discrimination.

I dont think we want to start policing people based on "pleasing of the eyes" as that opens a whole new level of discrimination.

I agree, raising concerns about sanitary issues is one thing, but if it's merely something that is not pleasing to the eyes, then keep it to yourself (or at the most share it with your travel companions for a laugh).

Edited by Tapi

I agree, raising concerns about sanitary issues is one thing, but if it's merely something that is not pleasing to the eyes, then keep it to yourself (or at the most share it with your travel companions for a laugh).

haha absolutely! I have no problem laughing with my friends when a "people of walmart" sighting happens.

So theoretically, if someone is using the lido buffet to get food and then going back to their deck chairs, where they have been, there really isnt a true concern outside of the OP not wanting to see people in bikinis and without shirts on? I dont think we want to start policing people based on "pleasing of the eyes" as that opens a whole new level of discrimination.

However, it really must be stated here that Carnival has a rule about requiring persons to be fully dressed (cover-ups are fine) and wearing footwear in the lido buffet. Enforced or not, that is their policy.

Seriously, how hard is it to throw on a cover-up and flip-flops, grab what you want, and then return to the pool area? I personally don't think that it is asking too much.

I think you will be okay. I think the four dayers that include the Fri, Sat, and Sun night are the worst.

Actually, I was just on the four day that included the Fri, Sat and Sun night on the Paradise. I had a ball, and I'm in Recovery from Alcohol so I don't even "party" - plus, being in Recovery, both me and my buddy who went with me, are probably a little more "sensitive" to people being wasted than the average person. Frankly, we didn't really get bothered much at all by the partying on the ship. I mean maybe I expected it, as I USED to be one of the people taking these cruises to Party, lol - but I didn't think it was out of control.

We ate in Lido a few times, honestly I noticed a few people in bathing suits grabbing a quick bite to take back outside, it didn't bother me too much - with the volume of people on any ship it's hard to police "Everyone"

But honestly we had a great time on the ship and would consider doing it again - I'd do the 5 day tho, the 4 day was just a little short. My next cruise is an 8 day :)

We are heading on the Paradise in a few weeks with my two sons, 13 and 11. We did the Sensation out of Cape Canaveral , a 3 day cruise last year, our first cruise. It was WILD!! But we all had a great time. I'm sure the Paradise will be no different . We enjoyed watching the drunks or saying repeatedly "jeez can they get any drunker" and laughing at the same time. We're pretty laid back and the kids enjoy the party and have a good time atmosphere too, if I wanted some quiet I definitely would not go on a Carnival cruise. The only concern I had on Sensation and will again is the kids wandering around by themselves, its not even so much a worry over someone purposely hurting them, but I have seen some stumbling down have no idea what they are doing drunks. One larger person falls and my skinny 13 year old is going to be sore! I like to relax and have fun, but keeping an eye on the kids comes first. Knock on wood, as long as the partiers enjoy themselves and don't get in my business and don't get dangerous, I say party on.

Just got off the Paradise this morning. This was the worst cruise that I have been on. The service and ship was fine. The food was awful on the Lido deck; it was ok in the dining room. The worst part was that it was a party boat. There were people drunk everywhere and people taking food and drinks into the hot tub. There was no dress code for the Lido deck buffet. Girls wearing bikinis, no cover ups; several men with no shirts on; and several people with no shoes. It was disgusting. It appears the dining room didn't have a dress code either. Carnival has gotten too relaxed with their rules. I am considering leaving Carnival. :(

FWIW my worst cruise ever was on the RCCL Monarch. Total ghetto (culture not race) cruise complete with drunken multi person brawl. Weekend cruises are ones I avoid on any line now.

The 7 day Carnival cruises are fine as are RCCL and everyone else.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

• 1 month later...

I think it depends honestly...we went on our 7 day Spring Break Cruise last year on the Glory and I'd always heard how horrible those were but the people were awesome..college kids with manners! They had fun but nothing over the top.

I've been on short ones that were awesome as well! On the flip side of that I've seen grown up sit in hot tubs for hours without going to the bathroom and drink beer after beer which leads me to believe your peeing in there! :eek: Ice cream cones and food in the hot tub on Lido where hoards of CHILDREN have taken over and not an adult in sight.

I'm not against someone having fun and letting their hair down...I just think you can do it and not annoy everyone in a 100ft radius. Don't be NASTY! Get out of the hot tub and go pee, throw your trash away, stop being the " look at me" drunk.. I edited this to say Paradise is my favorite small ship!

Edited by elainmir
Paradise is my favorite small ship!

Your experience is the reason I don't book 4 day or less cruises. I prefer 7 nt due to the different atmosphere. We really loved our 5 nt few years ago, but the crowd was little rowdier than our 7.

If you check reviews of other lines 3 and 4 day cruises you will find similar complaints. Cruise lines use their older ships on these for a reason, people are just looking for a cheap getaway.

It's your choice to leave carnival after this last cruise, but I think you may have same complaints with other lines' short cruises too, unless of course you pay through the nose for Disney.

Just got off the Paradise this morning. This was the worst cruise that I have been on. The service and ship was fine. The food was awful on the Lido deck; it was ok in the dining room. The worst part was that it was a party boat. There were people drunk everywhere and people taking food and drinks into the hot tub. There was no dress code for the Lido deck buffet. Girls wearing bikinis, no cover ups; several men with no shirts on; and several people with no shoes. It was disgusting. It appears the dining room didn't have a dress code either. Carnival has gotten too relaxed with their rules. I am considering leaving Carnival. :(

Party boat, drunk people everywhere, girls wearing bikinis with no coverup. My kind of cruise.

The four/five day cruises are notorious for being party cruises. It doesn't matter what line you're on. Next time try a seven or more day cruise. You'll see a better behaved crowd.

I'm doing a back to back to back on triumph in February. I've been on Carnival Triumph many times but it was always a five or seven day cruise it will be interesting to see and compare the 4 day & 5 day cruises on the same ship, in the same cabin, immediately following each other and see if there's any difference in the overall experience.

OMG, say it isn't so! :eek:

Dang, wish I had been there. :D

Edited by Who Cares?

I've been on Paradise twice. The last time in September she was in better repair than the first time. My cabin door opened w/o effort the 2nd time, the first it was a fight. Plus I was on a deck that was blue rather than orange and it looked so much better!

I didn't get off in GC. Was on Serenity and 2 maintenance guys came and were going to take my umbrella. I told them they could NOT do that. They got a supervisor who told me it was broken and they were taking all of them. I told them not unless they first brought one to replace it. He couldn't believe I wouldn't let the umbrella go. I'm fair skinned and burn in 5 minutes. Finally they brought a new one and exchanged them. Why don't they do this at night???? No one else had an umbrella until the next day.

• 2 months later...

Can't wait for my 4 day cruise in April...I love to have fun on a funship....and if you think if the Paradise party's...y'all should try the Elation out of New Orleans....wooohooo!!

I sailed on the Ecstasy to celebrate a friend's birthday. It was a 3 day cruise on Labor Day weekend. It was full of nasty drunks. You would not believe how disrespectful the passengers were to the crew members during the Muster drill. They were already nasty drunk. It was disgusting how they would talk to the bartenders when they reached their 15 drink limit. A man at the table next to ours ordered 6 Lobsters. Another man did not come in properly dressed for formal night. He started yelling how, it was his vacation that he paid for and he would dress how he pleased. Super rude. They allowed in in the dining room. Never again will I sail on a 3 day cruise. Had that been my first cruise, I would have never cruised again. It was my 24th cruise. I had never encountered such a crowd. On the 4 day cruises, it is mostly families and nice crowds.