QM2 Grills refit pics

Ray66

I think the new Grill rooms look good and probably lovely when we actually see them . I think the restaurants are very stylish and much better than before. My main query is I have been seeing in various websites that the Grills on the QM2 after the refit are to have open seating so you can sit where you like. One of the reasons I like Grills on Cunard is you have your own table where you can eat when you like, get to know your waiters and if on a big table get to know the other people during the trip. As someone with mobility problems I am always given a table near the entrance , if it is a free for all , I might have to walk the length of the restaurant to find a seat. The waiters will not get to know people and thus get less tips so I don't think they will be happy. Maybe Cunard is testing this out with a view to rolling it out on all ships - I really hope not ! Why can't they retain the distinct style of their ships or do they want to be like any other cruise line? Is what I am reading true and if so what do others think?

No I didn't see it in the Cunard release but in other news reports such a usatoday who said 'The makeover of the Grills restaurants will bring more tables for two, increased space between tables for privacy and additional loose tables that can be reconfigured to accommodate different party sizes. The eateries also will switch to an open-seating plan, allowing passengers to sit with whomever they like or dine alone'. I really hope it is not the case.

No I didn't see it in the Cunard release but in other news reports such a usatoday who said 'The makeover of the Grills restaurants will bring more tables for two, increased space between tables for privacy and additional loose tables that can be reconfigured to accommodate different party sizes. The eateries also will switch to an open-seating plan, allowing passengers to sit with whomever they like or dine alone'. I really hope it is not the case.

Open seating for dinner would not be a wise move by Cunard. Seeing the issues that arise with this arrangement at lunch in the MDR indicate that it would be problematic for dinner.

I think solo passengers would be gravely disadvantaged by this measure.

All said, the wording is coming from USAtoday (not exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity), so ill refrain from throwing stones at Cunard for the time being.

Open seating for dinner would not be a wise move by Cunard. Seeing the issues that arise with this arrangement at lunch in the MDR indicate that it would be problematic for dinner.

I think solo passengers would be gravely disadvantaged by this measure.

All said, the wording is coming from USAtoday (not exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity), so ill refrain from throwing stones at Cunard for the time being.

I share your view on this and hope "open seating" is NOT the case! (This is why I will never, ever, book NCL with its "freestyle" dining!) One of the delights of PG dining for me is the camaraderie of the same table mates throughout the voyage. That's gone if I'm to be seated with a different group of people at every meal.

I share your view on this and hope "open seating" is NOT the case! (This is why I will never, ever, book NCL with its "freestyle" dining!) One of the delights of PG dining for me is the camaraderie of the same table mates throughout the voyage. That's gone if I'm to be seated with a different group of people at every meal.

I didn't mind open seating for lunch in the MDR. It does allow people to meet additional people. However, I have noticed on Cunard and Princess that there is often a placement issue as lots of passengers lunching want two seated tables or there are odd numbered groups occupying larger tables. Every time I have lunched under open seating there has always been a wait unless people are willing to be 'slotted in'.

Last year I decided to give open seating dinner a go on Princess (after a bad MDR table matching experience on the previous Princess cruise). The wait staff were perplexed when I showed up alone and proceeded to seat me far away from pretty much anyone else on a table by myself (not at my request). It was a little lonesome and it proved difficult to get any wait service. After two nights of the same poor treatment, I ended up selecting alternative dining and room service for the remaining nights.

In my experience, open seating is generally okay for breakfast and lunch (even with its inherent problems). However, the ability to get to know dinner table mates over a period of time is something I enjoy about cruising. If Cunard takes this away then I doubt I'll bother cruising with them very often.

Of course, there will be others who love the idea of open dining. Perhaps this is part of Cunard chasing new blood. But I'm not a fan (if indeed it is true).

I didn't mind open seating for lunch in the MDR. It does allow people to meet additional people. However, I have noticed on Cunard and Princess that there is often a placement issue as lots of passengers lunching want two seated tables or there are odd numbered groups occupying larger tables. Every time I have lunched under open seating there has always been a wait unless people are willing to be 'slotted in'.

Last year I decided to give open seating dinner a go on Princess (after a bad MDR table matching experience on the previous Princess cruise). The wait staff were perplexed when I showed up alone and proceeded to seat me far away from pretty much anyone else on a table by myself (not at my request). It was a little lonesome and it proved difficult to get any wait service. After two nights of the same poor treatment, I ended up selecting alternative dining and room service for the remaining nights.

In my experience, open seating is generally okay for breakfast and lunch (even with its inherent problems). However, the ability to get to know dinner table mates over a period of time is something I enjoy about cruising. If Cunard takes this away then I doubt I'll bother cruising with them very often.

Of course, there will be others who love the idea of open dining. Perhaps this is part of Cunard chasing new blood. But I'm not a fan (if indeed it is true).

Let's hope it isn't true and never happens.Like you I love having my own table in the evening with same people and waiters and choose Cunard for this purpose.

Yes - I think this is one of the niceties of the Grills & Club when you opt for a big 8/10 table - it usually is good fun. Not had a bad table yet - some oddities occasionally - but in fairness they may think the same about me.

Yes - I think this is one of the niceties of the Grills & Club when you opt for a big 8/10 table - it usually is good fun. Not had a bad table yet - some oddities occasionally - but in fairness they may think the same about me.

I've opted for a large table in Jan as always. I'm hoping for good table mates! I've been very lucky with Cunard and table mates. I love the diversity of passengers on board, all with incredible life stories and travel tales.

The 2017 world voyage booklet still mentions having a table "reserved" in the QG restaurant for all 3 meals.

While the press release does say that guests "enjoy open seating" it is written in the present tense and so l think the author of the article has misinterpreted what open seating means in relation to Cunard i. e. there is no 1st or 2nd sitting in the grills restaurants and has added the word "switched" which is certainly not in Cunard's press release.

Like you l hope the status quo remains.

M-AR

We do enjoy a table for two in the Q's grill, however I do enjoy having the same table, same waiter, same neighbors, every night. We too, would be sad to see this go. It's one of the things that makes Cunard unique.

The 2017 world voyage booklet still mentions having a table "reserved" in the QG restaurant for all 3 meals.

While the press release does say that guests "enjoy open seating" it is written in the present tense and so l think the author of the article has misinterpreted what open seating means in relation to Cunard i. e. there is no 1st or 2nd sitting in the grills restaurants and has added the word "switched" which is certainly not in Cunard's press release.

Like you l hope the status quo remains.

M-AR

Indeed, the term "open seating" is misused so often, especially in reviews, but I'm surprised to see it in a press release. It would be so much less confusing if people would call it what it is: single sitting - or one sitting - with flexible dining times. This is the way it was when ships had First Class, even though the times were far more flexible on Cunard than on any other line on which I travelled First.

As others say I hope Cunard does not go to open seating. I have gotten used to it at breakfast and lunch in Britannia, but when in the Grills I like to know where we are sitting at each meal.

Indeed, the term "open seating" is misused so often, especially in reviews, but I'm surprised to see it in a press release. It would be so much less confusing if people would call it what it is: single sitting - or one sitting - with flexible dining times. This is the way it was when ships had First Class, even though the times were far more flexible on Cunard than on any other line on which I travelled First.

As others say I hope Cunard does not go to open seating. I have gotten used to it at breakfast and lunch in Britannia, but when in the Grills I like to know where we are sitting at each meal.

Maybe I'm being unfair and they really are saying what they mean. I suppose I am clutching at straws a bit regarding maintaining current arrangements.

I've read both the UK and US press releases and it's only the US version which mentions open seating so who knows?

M-AR

Hopefully something was lost in translation!

That is my thought! The U.K. PR and media manager is a Cunard diehard and l am certain he wouldn't make a terminology faux pas or allow a press release to go out error strewn. My earnest hope is that he didn't issue the US version!

M-AR