Cruise Galveston Oct 3rd or 4th - warning

caribill

If you are starting or ending a Carnival cruise in Galveston the weekend of October 3-4 2015, please be aware of a major road closure that can delay you getting to the port for your cruise or to the airport after your cruise.

Interstate 45 (Gulf Freeway), the main road between Galveston and the two Houston airports will be totally closed Saturday and Sunday for a one mile section on the mainland in the Clear Lake area.

I do not know if the frontage roads will be open or closed, but either way there will be traffic backups going both to and from Galveston on this highway.

Allow extra time for getting to from the port.

Carnival transfer busses will be subject to the same traffic conditions.

I read elsewhere that it will only be the northbound lane that's closing. The southbound lane will still be open, but you can count on it going slow as you pass the construction area. If you're cruising this weekend and it's not too late I'd get a hotel south of Webster or plan to arrive in Galveston early on the day of your cruise and camp out at a restaurant or coffee shop for a while.

I am so glad y'all mentioned this!! Here's the info from the TXDOT site:

Northbound from BAY AREA BLVD to EL DORADO BLVD. Total Closure. Closed continuously from 8:00 PM, Friday, October 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5. Detour:Motorist will exit Bay Area Blvd and re-enter at El Dorado.

Northbound from EL DORADO BLVD to FM-1959/DIXIE FARM RD. 2 Outside Lane(s). Closed continuously from 8:00 PM, Friday, October 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5.

I have an appointment Sunday morning right at 45 and El Dorado, so I guess I'd better find a back way! And I am about to pass this on to our Aggie Moms group, so everyone can alert their Sea Aggies who are likely heading up to The Holy Land for the game against Miss. St. on Saturday.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Roads closed, no worries as there is always the shoulder and the best thing is the speed limit doesn't apply to the shoulder but only the roadway! Just GO, baby GO!! :D

Seriously, leave yourself PLENTY of time to make it as for departures of anything it is better to be unfashionably early than OMG it leaves in 3 mins and we're 13 miles away sorta late.

Roads closed, no worries as there is always the shoulder and the best thing is the speed limit doesn't apply to the shoulder but only the roadway! Just GO, baby GO!! :D

Seriously, leave yourself PLENTY of time to make it as for departures of anything it is better to be unfashionably early than OMG it leaves in 3 mins and we're 13 miles away sorta late.

Like! haha

On US290 there aren't any shoulders right now, so we're left with "trying to flip vehicle over barrier" as an alternative. *sigh*

If anyone is cruising the weekend on Oct 17-18th, there is a 10k marathon in Galveston and along I45. Not sure how much impact this will have on the traffic.

I was trying to figure out why hotels were so expensive that weekend and pulled up a schedule of events. I am guessing there must be a lot of ppl staying in Galveston for the marathon .

I really hate to interject this here. (Okay, I like to interject) But I am picturing Sea Aggies on a Cruise Ship in the middle of a cow pasture.

I am so glad y'all mentioned this!! Here's the info from the TXDOT site:

Northbound from BAY AREA BLVD to EL DORADO BLVD. Total Closure. Closed continuously from 8:00 PM, Friday, October 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5. Detour:Motorist will exit Bay Area Blvd and re-enter at El Dorado.

Northbound from EL DORADO BLVD to FM-1959/DIXIE FARM RD. 2 Outside Lane(s). Closed continuously from 8:00 PM, Friday, October 2 to 5:00 AM, Monday, October 5.

I have an appointment Sunday morning right at 45 and El Dorado, so I guess I'd better find a back way! And I am about to pass this on to our Aggie Moms group, so everyone can alert their Sea Aggies who are likely heading up to The Holy Land for the game against Miss. St. on Saturday.

Thanks again for the heads up!

If you are starting or ending a Carnival cruise in Galveston the weekend of October 3-4 2015, please be aware of a major road closure that can delay you getting to the port for your cruise or to the airport after your cruise.

Interstate 45 (Gulf Freeway), the main road between Galveston and the two Houston airports will be totally closed Saturday and Sunday for a one mile section on the mainland in the Clear Lake area.

I do not know if the frontage roads will be open or closed, but either way there will be traffic backups going both to and from Galveston on this highway.

Allow extra time for getting to from the port.

Carnival transfer busses will be subject to the same traffic conditions.

It's very nice of you alert people.

Thank you for the heads up. I have never been to Galveston, but if it is Northbound only, it will not directly affect us getting into port, correct?

Hopefully not, but if there is a slowdown in one direction the cars in the other direction often slow down to see what's going on.

Hopefully not, but if there is a slowdown in one direction the cars in the other direction often slow down to see what's going on.

You can count on it. Rubberneckers and timid drivers will usually cause a slowdown as they pass the construction area.

I really hate to interject this here. (Okay, I like to interject) But I am picturing Sea Aggies on a Cruise Ship in the middle of a cow pasture.

ROFL!!! I'll have to pass that along to my Sea Aggie son. :-) So jealous of him anyway -- he can see the cruise ships docked right from his dorm window!

The signs state this is a late night closure and early morning opening. Traffic through the area isn't that heavy during those hours.

Also, TXDOT has opened a second lane on the access road, one that was previously blocked by barricades. Those driving down the evening before shouldn't encounter much of a delay. The freeway will be open by 5am on Saturday.

This construction has moved along quickly, and the slowdowns haven't been as long as I had expected.

Edited by BallFour4

having lived in the area in the prior century, I'm wondering if it makes sense to get off 45 around League City (Rte 96 Parkway, Exit 22) and take that to Rte 3 then left to the Beltway? Too many lights? Alt route everyone else will take?

The signs state this is a late night closure and early morning opening. Traffic through the area isn't that heavy during those hours.

Also, TXDOT has opened a second lane on the access road, one that was previously blocked by barricades. Those driving down the evening before shouldn't encounter much of a delay. The freeway will be open by 5am on Saturday.

This construction has moved along quickly, and the slowdowns haven't been as long as I had expected.

I posted wrong information above, the weekend will be impacted. For the poster that asked about Hwy 3 as an option I can share that route is crowded every weekend regardless of what the freeway traffic looks like.

The Metro Traffic Cameras will be helpful all weekend.

Edited by BallFour4

having lived in the area in the prior century, I'm wondering if it makes sense to get off 45 around League City (Rte 96 Parkway, Exit 22) and take that to Rte 3 then left to the Beltway? Too many lights? Alt route everyone else will take?

Hwy 3 is always slammed on the weekends. I live in the area around 96/646/518. 96 has blown up with development and while the road is very nice and wide, there are quite a few red lights and slow zones on your way to 146. Cops patrol that roadway pretty heavily. There are only 2 redlights from 45/96 exit to Hwy 3 but its almost always congested.

Sitting here thinking, If you are wanting to go WEST on I10 or beltway, you could take Hwy 6 exit and go to either Hwy 35 (redlights) to BW8 or to 288 to the beltway. 288 should be ok on the weekends but its been awhile since ive been on 288 on the weekends. If you want a more scenic route with more redlights, try Hwy 6 all the way to I-10

Edited by DobberDog
added alternate

We're on the Oct. 17 cruise. I know what can happen as Harbor Drive can get clogged but RT 45? WOW. I tried to warn those in our CC group that if they use a taxi they could get stuck in traffic and spend a fortune, Happened to us in NY recently where we wound up with a $190 taxi fare. This time we booked Carnival transfers just to be safe. Probably more money but hey, leave the driving to them.