Constellation Italy & Greece Cruise Review 9/10-9/18

fishersmom

We recently returned from our 8 night Italy & Greece cruise on the Constellation. It was our first cruise on Celebrity and we had a fantastic time! The crew was very friendly and the ship never felt too crowded. Embarkation in Civitavecchia was a breeze. We arrived at the port at 11:45am and were on the ship by noon. The ports (Sorrento, Sicily, Athens, Santorini, Rhodes, Istanbul) were awesome!

We had the Classic drink package and I thought we might upgrade but we decided not to. The bartenders were very good about serving what was included in the package and I never felt pressure to upgrade. My biggest complaint was that there was a shortage of bartenders in the pool area bars. I often had to wait 10-15 minutes for a drink.

The food in the main dining room was very good. We had Select dining and I had made reservations ahead of time online for the same time each night. We were seated at the same table with the same waiter almost every night, which I really liked. By the end of the cruise, our sommelier knew our names and what wine we wanted to drink. The food on the buffet (we ate there for breakfast and lunch) was OK but nothing special. The pizza was really good though. We had room service breakfast 2 mornings which was a nice treat. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants as we could not justify the additional charge.

I got a massage at the spa which was very expensive, but I guess that is to be expected. My husband tried the “pay-as-you-go” Wi-Fi, but it was extremely slow and frustrating. Our meet and mingle event was a sail away party on the helipad on the 2nd day which was really neat and attended by the cruise director and several officers. All in all, it was a great cruise and I would definitely sail on Celebrity again.

If anyone has any questions, I’d be glad to try to answer them.

We were on this cruise and really enjoyed it all.

We could find nothing to complain about. All crew and staff were fantastic. The Captain toured the boat daily at lots of different times of day. :):)

The food in the MDR was good and our waiters fantastic.

We had breakfast on our balcony most days which was delivered for the time wanted. Most days it was early.

We did try The Bistro on 5 which had a small charge. It was very good and not busy.

The only thing I could say was if you bought any thing you had to pay 22 1/2 tax on top.

Thanks for your reviews. I'm wondering why there was a 22.5% tax on anything you bought. I understood there's tax added in the sea within a 12-mile limit of Spain, but have not heard of any such tax in either Italy or Greece.

We recently returned from our 8 night Italy & Greece cruise on the Constellation. It was our first cruise on Celebrity and we had a fantastic time! The crew was very friendly and the ship never felt too crowded. Embarkation in Civitavecchia was a breeze. We arrived at the port at 11:45am and were on the ship by noon. The ports (Sorrento, Sicily, Athens, Santorini, Rhodes, Istanbul) were awesome!

We had the Classic drink package and I thought we might upgrade but we decided not to. The bartenders were very good about serving what was included in the package and I never felt pressure to upgrade. My biggest complaint was that there was a shortage of bartenders in the pool area bars. I often had to wait 10-15 minutes for a drink.

The food in the main dining room was very good. We had Select dining and I had made reservations ahead of time online for the same time each night. We were seated at the same table with the same waiter almost every night, which I really liked. By the end of the cruise, our sommelier knew our names and what wine we wanted to drink. The food on the buffet (we ate there for breakfast and lunch) was OK but nothing special. The pizza was really good though. We had room service breakfast 2 mornings which was a nice treat. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants as we could not justify the additional charge.

I got a massage at the spa which was very expensive, but I guess that is to be expected. My husband tried the “pay-as-you-go” Wi-Fi, but it was extremely slow and frustrating. Our meet and mingle event was a sail away party on the helipad on the 2nd day which was really neat and attended by the cruise director and several officers. All in all, it was a great cruise and I would definitely sail on Celebrity again.

If anyone has any questions, I’d be glad to try to answer them.

Thanks for the review :). We're on Connie next year.

How was the tendering in Santorini?

We had booked an excursion through Celebrity (Island of Santorini and Village of Oia) so we had separate tender boats that took us to a different dock area. I had read a suggestion to book excursions through Celebrity for the tender ports so that you have priority so that is what we did.

We had booked an excursion through Celebrity (Island of Santorini and Village of Oia) so we had separate tender boats that took us to a different dock area. I had read a suggestion to book excursions through Celebrity for the tender ports so that you have priority so that is what we did.

Thank you :). Did you enjoy your excursion?

Hartleykg, Was the tax just on purchases from the shops, or did it include the speciality restaurants too? Isn't Turkey (Istanbul quoted on first post) classed as a non EU port :confused:?

Just back from Constellation and agree about the friendly crew. Food was good everywhere. We ate in the MDR, the buffet, Luminae, Ocean Liners and Tuscan. All very enjoyable. Agree about the pizza. Delicious.

I felt and saw hard selling on this cruise for the Specialties and spa. I was up sold wine in Ocean Liners that hadn't been pointed out to me until the end of the meal. A bit sneaky. I had a poor experience in the spa using my Persian Gardens voucher. They were more interested there in selling me a treatment than taking care of me as a Persian Gardens guest. No showers working in there, none of the ambience improving electronic candles working, smelly shower cubicle. I would not have wished to spend $25 on the experience. All fed back.

We sat at the back of the ship a lot of the time and the staff at the Sunset Bar were all really great.

Thanks for the review :). We're on Connie next year.

How was the tendering in Santorini?

I was on the following cruise. Tendering in Santorini and the whole experience there was very good. It is very dependent upon the port load on the day though and when the various ships arrive. We were the only large ship there and had the one anchor point which gives a shorter tender ride. Minimal queues for the cable car coming down (we took a boat to Oia which included being bussed back to Thira, buses on the hour) and went early to beat the crowds which worked well.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

WE are on the Connie in April next year. My question is about Santorini. I understand that one can take a donkey ride up and / or down as opposed to the Gondola. Did anyone do it and what was the cost?

Hi Jeny,

We also did the ship's excursion in Santorini on our cruise on the Reflection this past May for the tendering reasons. We usually do small group tours but really enjoyed this one. Enjoy.

Vicky ( from the Infinity Iceland cruise)

Thanks, Hartleykg. Good to know the tax won't affect our Italy and Greek Isles cruise out of Barcelona, other than waiting until we're 12.5 miles out from Spain to avoid their tax.

Betsy

If your sailing does not visit a non-EU port you will be charged the current rate of Spanish VAT. We were on the same Constellation sailing and were charged 22% Italian VAT. The rate for Spain is currently 21% but from experience there is a reduced rate that is normally charged on board of 10% for beverage purchases, speciality restaurant charges and spa services.

Anything purchased in the shops will attract the standard 21% Spanish VAT.

There is no avoidance of the tax unless you visit a non-EU port.

If your sailing does not visit a non-EU port there will also be no duty free alcohol or tobacco sales.

Edited by peteukmcr

Thanks, Hartleykg. Good to know the tax won't affect our Italy and Greek Isles cruise out of Barcelona, other than waiting until we're 12.5 miles out from Spain to avoid their tax.

Betsy

It might

I believe any cruise that doesn't have a non EU port on the itinerary is liable to have VAT added to purchases made at the prevailing rate for the duration of the cruise. If your cruise calls in at one non EU port on its itinerary then the whole cruise is VAT free (Possibly only after it has left the territorial waters of the embarkation point).

The list of ports below are the ones that on my reckoning should at the moment mean your cruise is VAT free. If one or more of these ports isn't on your itinerary then look out for that VAT surcharge.

Gibraltar

Montenegro

Turkey

Russia

Faroe Islands

Iceland

Israel

Norway

Ukraine

The Canaries

Guernsey, Channel Islands

Not sure about The Azores

Those of you from non EU countries can claim back the VAT at a later point, if you keep the receipts.

We were also on this sailing and it was our first Celebrity sailing.

My review is here

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=513638&et_cid=2441714&et_rid=10393735&et_referrer=RCI+Party+Data

We had baggage issues due to British Airways and the mess that is Terminal 5 Heathrow where the baggage system fails on a regular basis.

However, the Celebrity staff, especially the concierge were outstanding.

It might

I believe any cruise that doesn't have a non EU port on the itinerary is liable to have VAT added to purchases made at the prevailing rate for the duration of the cruise. If your cruise calls in at one non EU port on its itinerary then the whole cruise is VAT free (Possibly only after it has left the territorial waters of the embarkation point).

The list of ports below are the ones that on my reckoning should at the moment mean your cruise is VAT free. If one or more of these ports isn't on your itinerary then look out for that VAT surcharge.

Gibraltar

Montenegro

Turkey

Russia

Faroe Islands

Iceland

Israel

Norway

Ukraine

The Canaries

Those of you from non EU countries can claim back the VAT at a later point, if you keep the receipts.

The Azores are part of Portugal and so may be considered part of the EU and so I suspect VAT would be charged.

The alternative of boat to Oia and bus back to Thira (ISTR 25E) works very well, and avoids both the donkey track and paying for a Celebrity excursion.

It was €20 in in August plus the €5 cable car down, but was only €10 plus the cable car last week, so this must be the off season price. Really good value.

Phil

Hi Jeny,

We also did the ship's excursion in Santorini on our cruise on the Reflection this past May for the tendering reasons. We usually do small group tours but really enjoyed this one. Enjoy.

Vicky ( from the Infinity Iceland cruise)

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the reply :). We may use some of our OBC for the ship tour (we'll do independent at all of our other ports). Glad to hear you enjoyed it :). My only concern was some reviews said that there could possibly be a long wait for the return cable car back to the ship. But even saying that, having watched a clip of the walk down, I think we'd easily be able to manage all the steps. Having climbed the fortress in Kotor this past August, I'm sure anything is possible :D.

Btw, hope you are well?

Jenny

It might

Gibraltar

Montenegro

Turkey

Russia

Faroe Islands

Iceland

Israel

Norway

Ukraine

The Canaries

Which is why I couldn't understand why they were charged the tax as Istanbul (Turkey) was mentioned in the OP's original post? Was it removed/swapped from their itinerary? I know our visit to Istanbul was brought forward by a day, was theirs removed totally?

Which is why I couldn't understand why they were charged the tax as Istanbul (Turkey) was mentioned in the OP's original post? Was it removed/swapped from their itinerary? I know our visit to Istanbul was brought forward by a day, was theirs removed totally?
Istanbul was the port of disembarkation so in effect by then the cruise was over and it wasn't just a port stop.

Glad to hear your trip went well. We are scheduled for 4/2016 and had been a bit concerned about the Greece ports. Keep hearing not to be concerned with money nor political issues there, but would love to hear from someone that has been there recently.

Any problems or challenges?

Glad to hear your trip went well. We are scheduled for 4/2016 and had been a bit concerned about the Greece ports. Keep hearing not to be concerned with money nor political issues there, but would love to hear from someone that has been there recently.

Any problems or challenges?

No issues whatsoever in Athens, Santorini nor Rhodes.

• 3 weeks later...
Sailing 11/4 on Connie. Looked at deck maps but couldn't find location of Sunset Bar. Have to meet tour group there first day so just wondering if any of you frequent Connie sailors could help me out. Thanks!
On the Constellation deck plans it's called the 'Oceanview Bar' on deck 10. Go through the Oceanview Cafe and head aft.691a3c0b6f8b9c07960cd722cc51ae37.jpg17c911a15e49da825084e99debfa4fd4.jpg Edited by peteukmcr