celebrity cruise to galapagos

yimmortal

i'm going on the celebrity cruise to the galapagos, i'm a photographer and i'm wondering how close they let us get to the animals, that way i will know what i'm going to need to bring for equipment.....

You will trip over seals as you get on/off the zodiac's, you'll be 6' from newly born seals and have birds sitting on their eggs/nest about 6 inches from you :) On the other hand, you'll also be on zodiacs passing penguins roosting on shore and have fields of red footed Boobies posing for group pictures...and perhaps albatross first learning fly from an open field.

I'd recommend covering at least 18-300mm (I'm a nikon person)....and I only took 2100 pictures on our cruise a few years ago.

Edited by ghstudio

Can't speak for camera equipment as I use "push here dummy" camera but having been to Galapagos with Celebrity I can tell you you may have to step aside for birds and animals. You must stay on designated paths and follow the instructions of the naturalist who will accompany you but you can really get up close and almost personal. Enjoy as it is an awesome experience.

We just did this cruise in July...

At times, you will get fairly close to certain animals...

There was one stop where we, quite literally, were able to walk right up to Blue Footed Boobies, Frigate Birds and others nesting and hatching chicks...On several stops, we were able to walk within feet of both marine and land iguanas and a lot of crabs...And Sea Lions were fairly close up in a number of locations--including just lying around in town when we did the shopping stops...lying on park benches, on steps to shops and buildings, etc. We walked by the fish market in Santa Cruz and the Sea Lions and Pelicans were lining up at the counter...When you visit the "farm" with the Giant Tortoises, you can walk virtually right up to them...

OTOH, there are times when getting that great photo is a challenge...

For example, be prepared to try to capture some birds in flight...

Also, often, you are touring in a Zodiac boat (a motorized rubber raft) and trying to capture photos while bouncing around several meters offshore...Also, during one excursion by Zodiac, you cruise through the mangroves and can see a lot of tortoises and rays just under the surface of the water--which causes other problems in trying to get a good shot...

Be prepared for all of these eventualities...

i'm going on the celebrity cruise to the galapagos, i'm a photographer and i'm wondering how close they let us get to the animals, that way i will know what i'm going to need to bring for equipment.....

I have been on both Galapagos loops. All I ever found a need for was a 70-200 or 100-400 mm lens. Both these lens were also shot on full frame bodies.

Here is a link to my web site so you can get an idea on how close you can get to the birds and animals in the Gala[agos.

I have been on both Galapagos loops. All I ever found a need for was a 70-200 or 100-400 mm lens. Both these lens were also shot on full frame bodies.

Here is a link to my web site so you can get an idea on how close you can get to the birds and animals in the Gala[agos.

Beautiful photos. Brings back wonderful memories.

Unless things have changed, there was a strictly enforced weight limit on luggage. We actually had to leave some of our luggage in storage at the Marriott in Quito. The night prior to flight we were required to assemble in lobby and have our luggage weighed and then repack in the lobby.