Transatlantic cruise/Champagne

Master0396

It does appear the a gherkin/dill slice are the same thing. But it matters not what you call it, it's still horrible.

British "cuisine" again? The two are utterly unlike: a gherkin is a small cucumber pickled (in an undefined solution) and ordinarily served whole, while a dill slice is ( obviously) a slice of a larger pickle which was (also obviously) pickled in a solution necessarily containing dill.

British "cuisine" again? The two are utterly unlike: a gherkin is a small cucumber pickled (in an undefined solution) and ordinarily served whole, while a dill slice is ( obviously) a slice of a larger pickle which was (also obviously) pickled in a solution necessarily containing dill.

They are still both pickled cucumbers, not two different pickled vegetables. Just that one is ruined by adding Dill (nasty stuff) 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A gherkin is a sweet pickle. A dill pickle is a larger sour version.

I have been receiving a large bottle of Pol Aker for many years. Since I don't drink I hand it over to any willing recipient.

I hope it's not the case that solo travellers get a half bottle whilst couples get full bottle if the solo traveller is having to pay double for the room per person. As it is, Cunard are saving on food if solo traveller inhabits a double room, so in reality there should be some kind of discount on cabin price any way. Any idea if any cruises offer slight discount on cabin price for solo travellers in standard cabin (rather than the new single cabins)?

Edited by new2crooz

I hope it's not the case that solo travellers get a half bottle whilst couples get full bottle if the solo traveller is having to pay double for the room per person. ...
I can assure you, from personal experience, that two people in a cabin can get a half-bottle, and a solo passenger can get a whole bottle.

Or the other way around.

As I said above, there is no pattern to it (that I've been able to detect).

Same goes for first-time or repeat passenger, long voyage or short trip, inside cabin deck 4 or deluxe balcony deck 11. You could get a half-bottle, you could get a whole bottle.

Depends if your lucky or unlucky (the lucky ones get the half-bottle ;) )

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pepperrn

i can assure you, from personal experience, that two people in a cabin can get a half-bottle, and a solo passenger can get a whole bottle.

Or the other way around.

As i said above, there is no pattern to it (that i've been able to detect).

Same goes for first-time or repeat passenger, long voyage or short trip, inside cabin deck 4 or deluxe balcony deck 11. You could get a half-bottle, you could get a whole bottle.

depends if your lucky or unlucky (the lucky ones get the half-bottle ;) )

hope this helps :)

this! :d

A gherkin is a sweet pickle. A dill pickle is a larger sour version.

I have been receiving a large bottle of Pol Aker for many years. Since I don't drink I hand it over to any willing recipient.

Any chance you're doing the NY RT Caribbean run in November????!!!!(haha!)

1st Cunard Cruise - balcony cabin Cunard fare - half bottle

2nd Cunard Cruise -inside cabin Saver fare - full bottle

3rd Cunard Cruise - balcony cabin Cunard fare - full bottle

4th Cunard Cruise - obs. Ocean view Saver fare - tbc

Always remove the gherkin from a McDonald's burger! I liked Wendy's burgers but don't remember if any vegetables were present :)

The building is still called "the Gherkin" because, try as they might, they simply couldn't find enough Dill... :D

Thank you for the explanation, Pepper… (It would take quite a lot of dill, wouldn't it?)

If only there was an explanation for the Pol Aker (the drink, not the bottle size), then all things would finally be clear.

Hope you will be booking a voyage soon. I keep looking (and wishing) but need a doctor's clearance first. Both Quebec and Caribbean discussions have me yearning!

In the meantime, your photos are so appreciated. Thank you!

They are still both pickled cucumbers, not two different pickled vegetables. Just that one is ruined by adding Dill (nasty stuff) 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's not just the nasty brine used in making the dill pickle - it is also the fact that the gherkin is made from a very small unripe cucumber while the dill pickle is made from a significantly larger one.

Hi jimmybean

... If only there was an explanation for the Pol Aker (the drink, not the bottle size), then all things would finally be clear.
I don't know if this helps to "explain" Pol, but in this photo you can see where it is rumoured that the "vineyard" is located (as you depart Southampton, on the right), where Pol is "grown", produced and finally, with loving care, shipped out in the vessel in the foreground ;)

...Fawley...

As you can see, the results will be an entirely natural concoction with no nasty chemicals at all :D

Hope you will be booking a voyage soon. I keep looking (and wishing) but need a doctor's clearance first. Both Quebec and Caribbean discussions have me yearning!
I sincerely hope you get that clearance very quickly (and very sorry to read that it is needed). Either sound great, esp the Caribbean for some winter warmth, do you the world of good (as my grandmother would often say), I'm certain.
In the meantime, your photos are so appreciated. Thank you!
No, thank you for the compliment :o

Sincere best wishes for your ever-improving health, and many happy sailings :)

Edited by pepperrn

Pepperrn - and that is why I didn't gift my bottle to you. There were some ladies down the hall celebrating with theirs and they were delighted to be given mine. Hey, if it made them happy:D