NZ RCCL cruise starboard or port balcony? Also sickness?

Hi Guys,

Would love to hear some experiences. Just wondering in your opinions which is better? Starboard or Port balcony for a cruise to NZ (+ through the 3 sounds).

Also my 44yo husband's last cruise was 25 odd years ago to Vanuatu's Islands and he got so seasick he had to see the nurse twice, the pills they gave him didn't work so he had to have the injection.

Anyway! He is petrified of getting that sick again. I keep saying cruising has improved in 25 years etc etc, but the fact is I haven't cruised NZ before so I don't really know what the seas will be like and how a large ship like Explorer OTS will handle them.

Can anybody share past experience? We will be sailing in December.

I should also add that we go to Tassie on the spirit every year and he never has a problem. I know its smaller seas and a much smaller boat but is it all comparative?

Thanks so much in advance!!

We cruised to NZ on Voyager (sister ship to Explorer) in the first week of Jan this year. I was surprised at how stable she felt during our 2 week cruise. I took seasick tablets the night before the cruise but stopped taking them after the first day because there simply was no need for them.

We did 3 ports of the North Island (we also did Fiji). We had a port side balcony. Happy to be on the port side and would chose the same ship of the ship again. We cruised Auckland - Tauranga - Wellington and when we docked at each port, our balcony faced out to the water.

Milford sound is the highlight of the trip and it is and in and out so it doesn't make a difference which side you are on. As a general principle the best side to be on is the side which spends the most time facing the shore. A couple of years ago I was on a cruise and we spent a day heading down the coast from Cape York. The scenery was absolutely amazing and I would have missed it if I had been on the ocean side.

I will assume you are going through the Sounds first which means you should get a Portside balcony or an aft-facer for the best views.

We have cruised NZ many times on many ships but mainly Royal Caribbean. We have also done the cruise on the Voyager. It sounds like your husband will be okay but there is Bonine on board for purchase if those seas upset the Explorer. I was the kid who couldn't spin around without throwing up and I find ships like the Voyager to be friendly and when those seas have been up on smaller ships, the Bonine does the trick.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Cheers

Di

I will assume you are going through the Sounds first which means you should get a Portside balcony or an aft-facer for the best views.

Not sure if this helps, but If it is on Explorer departing Sydney on 2nd December then the sounds are last :)

We've been through the Fjiorland a few of times and you would not get the best impact by viewing just from your balcony or whatever on either side. While in Fjiorland you have land on both sides. I think it best to get up on deck to take it all in, even if it's raining which is most of the time. Take a raincoat and rug up. The ships we've been on did 360s as well.

Edited by lyndarra
typo

If you can go on the Spirit of Tassie without any worries, he will be fine going to NZ.

I always find the first night heading out of Sydney or Melbourne can be a bit rough, but as the other poster said, GINGER. Even at dinner I sip ginger ale, and yes, green apples. There's also so many natural things to get from the chemist too.

Precaution is better than feeling sick then having to deal with it. Eh. Especially if you're having a great time. Lol.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!!

We just got our cabin allocations for our trip leaving December 2nd on Explorer of the Seas :) 6520 & 6522 so right up the very front & port side. Im sure he'll be ok, if not we will definitely try all the remedies suggested!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!!

We just got our cabin allocations for our trip leaving December 2nd on Explorer of the Seas :) 6520 & 6522 so right up the very front & port side. Im sure he'll be ok, if not we will definitely try all the remedies suggested!

Wifey also packs Travelcalm, from the Chemist (the Ginger one:D) and takes it a day or two before we leave.

Oh and she gets seasick in the bath I think, but we've sailed through 40 foot seas with that combination and she's been fine.

In all honest I don't think it makes much difference, they move the ship around so both sides get plenty of views.

I was referring to being on the Portside for going "up" the Coast - the land will be on their Portside:)

You are correct in respect to the Sounds but this time we have taken an aft-facer on our NZ Princess cruise for the outstanding views.

If the ship is starting at the Bay of Islands and working its way down the Coast, then obviously Starboard is the side to be on.

It is amazing how close to land they go.

Cheers

Di