Question on late embarkation for ship overnighting in port

kjwent

I've got flights to Quebec that have changed, and now I am arriving late on Day 1 of the Serenade OTS cruise departing 10/19. The ship overnights in Quebec and doesn't leave until 10/20 at 3pm, but I've been told a couple times by RCI reps that I will not be able to board because they will be closed. However, two TA's are telling me there will be no problem. One TA told me they notified RCI of my flight and I'll be fine.

I've also searched the RCI boards here and found a reference to an Emergency Team that needs to be contacted so they can make arrangements for my late arrival. Has anyone run into this? Any idea what that Emergency Team phone number is? I'm waking up in the middle of the night because I'm dreaming about arriving in Quebec and having all the doors locked.

Appreciate any info.

I would contact the airlines and have them change your flights. If you were originally set to fly to make embarkation and now your flights get in too late, the airlines should change you (I think if the change is >2 hours or something they have to)

Good luck!

Yes, call the airlines!!

I've got flights to Quebec that have changed, and now I am arriving late on Day 1 of the Serenade OTS cruise departing 10/19. The ship overnights in Quebec and doesn't leave until 10/20 at 3pm, but I've been told a couple times by RCI reps that I will not be able to board because they will be closed. However, two TA's are telling me there will be no problem. One TA told me they notified RCI of my flight and I'll be fine.

I've also searched the RCI boards here and found a reference to an Emergency Team that needs to be contacted so they can make arrangements for my late arrival. Has anyone run into this? Any idea what that Emergency Team phone number is? I'm waking up in the middle of the night because I'm dreaming about arriving in Quebec and having all the doors locked.

Appreciate any info.

I was on the Legend last year that overnight in Quebec and people were allowed to check in after hours. One person posted that they contacted Emergency Services and told them of their planed late arrival. I have also read that is not necessary but I would be a good idea to contact them beforehand.

Some things to keep into account. Your are boarding at Pier 30, I am on this cruise too. The most important thing to keep in mind you will have to handle your own luggage if you board after hours. Pier 30 has a temporary terminal and a removable gangway. On the Legend we boarded on deck 5 so the gang way so there were a few segments to this gang way. As I remember this temporary gangway was a little steeper then the permanent terminals I have been to.

This is the link to this cruise Roll Call. This is a huge Roll Call with 382 registered for Meet & Mingle. This thread is also on it 3rd part.

Shak

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47930124#post47930124

Thanks to Clarea and Shak for the information. I have contacted the email address that Clarea posted and got back an automated email saying they would handle my request in the order it came in. If I don't hear back from them in a week I'll call the number you provided.

Thank you Shak for for the Pier info and advice about luggage. I figured we'd have to handle our own luggage once I found out there wouldn't be any staff. I am more sick about getting checked in and getting my boarding card than handling luggage. We'll manage -- take our time and get on board. That's the main thing.

I've never been on a cruise that overnighted in the departure port, and didn't realize that check in would only be for a limited number of hours -- live and learn. Originally we were only about an hour late -- now we're closer to two hours. For those suggesting flight changes, my TA and I both have tried that. At this date, aside from the astronomical cost involved, most of the flights on American called for overnighting in the layover city and taking the exact flight I'm already on. Even looking at 2 days out from departure there was nothing. I've read the Roll Call for this cruise and people have said they are even flying into Montreal and taking the train to Quebec because the flights into Quebec are so limited. I hate everything about plane travel, this is why we drive to Florida to take the majority of our cruises!

If and when I hear from Emergency Services I'll post their response. Thanks to everyone.

Thanks to Clarea and Shak for the information. I have contacted the email address that Clarea posted and got back an automated email saying they would handle my request in the order it came in. If I don't hear back from them in a week I'll call the number you provided.

Thank you Shak for for the Pier info and advice about luggage. I figured we'd have to handle our own luggage once I found out there wouldn't be any staff. I am more sick about getting checked in and getting my boarding card than handling luggage. We'll manage -- take our time and get on board. That's the main thing.

I've never been on a cruise that overnighted in the departure port, and didn't realize that check in would only be for a limited number of hours -- live and learn. Originally we were only about an hour late -- now we're closer to two hours. For those suggesting flight changes, my TA and I both have tried that. At this date, aside from the astronomical cost involved, most of the flights on American called for overnighting in the layover city and taking the exact flight I'm already on. Even looking at 2 days out from departure there was nothing. I've read the Roll Call for this cruise and people have said they are even flying into Montreal and taking the train to Quebec because the flights into Quebec are so limited. I hate everything about plane travel, this is why we drive to Florida to take the majority of our cruises!

If and when I hear from Emergency Services I'll post their response. Thanks to everyone.

The people that check you in and handle your luggage may not be ship personnel so that is why you may be a little confused. I believe both end at 5pm.

I don't think you will have any problems getting on board. Be sure to visit the Roll Call. See you in 2 weeks.

Shak

Edited by Shak

I got the following message back from:

Charmain Cooper

Customer Support

Guest Travel Services

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Good Day,

Hope this email finds you well.

Please note your flight arrival will be okay due to the ship overnight into port.

Depending on the time you arrive if the port agents are not available you will be responsible to carry on your own luggage.

If you have any further questions you can call our 24 hour line at (800) 256-6649 press option 1 twice.

So it seems I can stop waking up at night worrying about this cruise and just get ready to have a great time. Thanks to everyone for their help.

My first RCI cruise was 19 years ago, so this is dated information; but ...

I was taking a 2 week cruise R/T from Singapore. I let RCI book my flights. I landed at the airport at 11pm. (That was the scheduled time.) By the time the van got to the pier it was midnight.

Check in occurred at the Purser's desk.

Aloha,

John

ps: That was the LAST time I let the cruise line book my flights; besides the late arrival, I had an 8 hour layover at Narita.