Formal Attire for Women

resordanis

Oh dear I am obviously not the right person for cruising!!!

I have gone on 2 week cruises with 10kg hand luggage only.

Next is QM2 and I had planned to take one suitcase for hubby and I to share on a 16 night cruise. Have done 3 months travelling around Europe in the middle of winter with 12kg not a cruise though.

Guess I need to rethink my cruising wardrobe for the next cruise.

You sound like a resourceful person, Tara Jane --- an interesting fellow traveler.

The joys of sailing on the QM2 include (in my opinion) much, much, much more than what is derived from pride in one's apparel. While I'm a firm believer in (and supporter of) the "dress code", there is a range of how the ladies' dress code is executed --and both sides of this range are equally acceptable.

Long gowns are lovely. And, equally lovely are attractive cocktail dresses and fancy-trousers with fancy tops-- items which can take up less room in a suitcase.

There are practical considerations when packing (for most of us) and there is cleverness the helps meet the co-challenges of suitcase size and Cunard's dress code. ...Based on past experiences you described, I have faith you will have no trouble complying with Cunard's dress code and also have a great time onboard.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks Jimmybean,

I am feeling a bit more comfortable after reading your post. I usually wear nice black pants and fancy top on formal nights on other ships and have never felt I stood out as being "underdressed". I had been getting the vibes that I would be made to feel like poor cinderella if I wasn't all gowned up for each formal night. But the cinderella story had a happy ending and I hope my QM2 cruise will also.

Thanks Jimmybean,

I am feeling a bit more comfortable after reading your post. I usually wear nice black pants and fancy top on formal nights on other ships and have never felt I stood out as being "underdressed". I had been getting the vibes that I would be made to feel like poor cinderella if I wasn't all gowned up for each formal night. But the cinderella story had a happy ending and I hope my QM2 cruise will also.

I agree with you Tara Jane, I was starting to feel I would be underdressed on my Queen Victoria cruise. On Princess and Royal Caribbean my formal wear has always been more than adequate, and felt I always looked the part (so to speak) but was starting to regret booking this cruise.

I have made some small purchases, that haven't broken the bank, and now feel I will be fine. No gowns, but suitably attired I hope.

Unfortunately, not like you, luggage and suitcase weight is now going to be my next problem. Our toiletries, medications etc. weigh more than you one suitcase, I think!:eek:

Thanks Jimmybean,

Please do post on Cruise Critic after you sail! I really enjoy reading descriptions and impressions from others after their voyages. I look forward to hearing how much you like the QM2 : )

Jimmybean

We are getting on the QE on Wednesday (our first cruise on Cunard) and I have to say I am very doubtful whether I have the right clothes or not. Formals are easy as I have a huge stack of gowns gathered over the years BUT it's the rest that worries me - hey ho only time will tell!

Mary

Thanks Jimmybean,

You will fine honestly I have one all in one black crepe with black bugle beads that I got in a charity shop which has done at least 4 cruise/tranalantics a couple of silky trousers and various tops that mix and match, various scarf's and shawls and some trips not all of them get out of the cupboard.

To the lady who is having trouble finding something have you tried finding consignment shops close by we have 2/3 here very small town and long gowns are always in the window. My s in law Who never buys anything cheap actually bought at least one at a C store and wore iin QG

We are getting on the QE on Wednesday (our first cruise on Cunard) and I have to say I am very doubtful whether I have the right clothes or not. Formals are easy as I have a huge stack of gowns gathered over the years BUT it's the rest that worries me - hey ho only time will tell!

Mary

Mary, you're off on your holidays. You'll have a great time on a superb ship. You have read a few opinions on the subject of clothes, some comments rather conservative but remember, there will be around 2000 passengers on QE, many of whom might not have read this thread ;). Cunard give guidelines and I can assure you although most of the passengers follow them, there can be loose interpretations at times. 'Correct' clothes are not the be all and end all for everyone.

It sounds as if you're prepared so go and enjoy the cruise and just remember, no one will be marking you out of ten.

Mary

As long as you are fairly smart you will be fine. Remember only a few post here and the other 2000 have never heard of CC:) enjoy your cruise.

You will be astounded just how many people look like they forgot to look in the mirror:eek: Last TA I saw a young man that seemed to be in the same clothes everytime I saw Backpack and all daytime and evening, obviously not in the main dining room:)

Wow Victoria great minds and all that

Edited by electra2008

As long as you are fairly smart you will be fine. Remember only a few post here and the other 2000 have never heard of CC:) enjoy your cruise.

You will be astounded just how many people look like they forgot to look in the mirror:eek: Last TA I saw a young man that seemed to be in the same clothes everytime I saw Backpack and all daytime and evening, obviously not in the main dining room:)

Wow Victoria great minds and all that

Electra, we're singing from the same hymn sheet. :)

Only three weeks to go to our cruise and I think I have most of my clothes just need one more top for daytime,another wrap and some dressy earrings and perhaps another necklace. My big problem has been shoes,cannot wear any of my evening shoes due to swollen feet etc so have had to buy wedges,flat shoes and what my partner calls 'granny sandles none of which are very elegant or pretty but will have to do.

It's so easy for men,my partner has just bought one pair of sandles and a couple of new shirts whilst I have been trying to sort out all my outfits since we booked the cruise!

We are staying in New York first so need to take warm clothes as well.

Hope everyone else is not worrying too much about Cunards dress code,I've decided it's not worth worrying about,if I'm underdressed on the informal nights so be it I just want to enjoy myself....

Only three weeks to go to our cruise and I think I have most of my clothes just need one more top for daytime,another wrap and some dressy earrings and perhaps another necklace. My big problem has been shoes,cannot wear any of my evening shoes due to swollen feet etc so have had to buy wedges,flat shoes and what my partner calls 'granny sandles none of which are very elegant or pretty but will have to do.

It's so easy for men,my partner has just bought one pair of sandles and a couple of new shirts whilst I have been trying to sort out all my outfits since we booked the cruise!

We are staying in New York first so need to take warm clothes as well.

Another option for shoes is ballerina flats, even ballerina slippers. I broke my toe just before a QE2 cruise, and couldn't wear my pretty shoes. But little satin ballerina slippers were soft enough not to press on the sore toe.

Thanks for the comments! However having spent the best part of an hour folding mine and his garments I now think my biggest problem is going to be the battle for the iron in the laundry room LOL

M

Good luck with the launderette! Take an old cotton handkerchief to use as a press cloth, as the sole plates are often less than pristine.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

It really is not worth worrying about the clothes. Do the best you can. Most people are forgiving. Those who are not, remember that you do not know the circumstances.

One example: A few years ago I had friends over from Australia. They planned their first trip on QV, booking it while they were over here in the UK. A couple of weeks before the cruise they went to Budapest for a week ... which turned into 2 weeks when flights were cancelled due to the Icelandic volcano and ash cloud. All the stress brought on a minor TIA in the husband. Somehow they managed to get back to London, and their daughter got back from Riga, arriving the day before the cruise. Unfortunately all of the cruise documentation (including their tickets) was in the post office waiting for them to collect it, but they had no time to get there before leaving for Southampton. They therefore did not know the dress code as they had relied on reading it up in that last week. Their clothing was adequate but Wadia felt embarrassed on formal nights in a dark sports jacket instead of a suit. (That clothing had been fine on other cruise lines.) He skipped the first formal night but his wife and daughter talked him into going to the second one. Everyone was fine with that except the photographer - who studiously avoided their table!

In other words, you will get all sorts of advice here from people who love Cunard and the dress code, but once on board the ship you will find a lot of leeway. Do your best and just enjoy.

Edited by fantasy51

You will be worn out at this rate.

Have a wonderful cruise and wear what you like.

When we started cruising as grown ups a few years ago, I had already started on my holiday wardrobe - being not at all bothered by nature - which includes a lot of chiffon-y things which go with trousers and are very light. Sale bargains. Once off the cruise they are washed, ironed and put back in the case. In case.

The other week in Scotland, I bought a long dress for four quid in Asda! Ha ha. That dress is for summer though.

Next Cunard is January. It will be jeans and a fleece during the day and my posh frocks on a night. Winter clothes take up so much space.

I cruised on Cunard for the first time last year and did worry about what clothes I should wear as perceived it as far more formal than any other cruiselines. I need not have worried, what I wore was fine. If other people didn't like it - too bad. I felt good and I enjoyed my cruise.

Cunard is not as grand as I thought it would be - in fact the food was much better on Azamara, Celebrity and even Royal Caribbean! Shock, horror!

I am looking forward to my next Cunard cruise in December on QV and not fazed by any of it. If you can walk and talk at the same time and don't wear shell suits or baseball caps you should be absolutely fine!

:-)

Enjoy your cruises.

Edited by Deeliteful

This has been a lovely thread. It has been a joy to read. We are on Victoria on 3rd November. Great, but I've put on weight as my husband had a silent heart attack in May on QV ( I eat under stress :()I also fell on Thursday morning whilst on a walk. I now have swollen & bruised knees, hand & arms & cuts on my hands, knees & left arm!!

Hey ho. We are going on our favourite ship, so a couple of long sleeve tops/boleros & stretchy dresses will do :D:D

To the ladies worrying, please don't. You will look fabulous!

I cruised on Cunard for the first time last year and did worry about what clothes I should wear as perceived it as far more formal than any other cruiselines. I need not have worried, what I wore was fine. If other people didn't like it - too bad. I felt good and I enjoyed my cruise.

Cunard is not as grand as I thought it would be - in fact the food was much better on Azamara, Celebrity and even Royal Caribbean! Shock, horror!

I'm so glad you did not have to worry about your clothes once you were onboard. As for the food, that was interesting. I am not a foodie and eat a limited range of food and cannot comment. However, on my last cruise I travelled with a friend who appreciates good food and thought that Cunard's food was much better than he had experienced on Royal Caribbean. Tastes vary. As for Azamara and Celebrity, from the price differences and the comments on here, it is no surprise that you preferred their food.

Cinta, I am sorry to hear about your husband's health issues and your accident. I hope it does not stop you enjoying yourselves. You're obviously committed cruisers if you can return after a heart attack on the ship. Cunard must have done all the right things in the circumstances. :)

I'm so glad you did not have to worry about your clothes once you were onboard. As for the food, that was interesting. I am not a foodie and eat a limited range of food and cannot comment. However, on my last cruise I travelled with a friend who appreciates good food and thought that Cunard's food was much better than he had experienced on Royal Caribbean. Tastes vary. As for Azamara and Celebrity, from the price differences and the comments on here, it is no surprise that you preferred their food.

Cinta, I am sorry to hear about your husband's health issues and your accident. I hope it does not stop you enjoying yourselves. You're obviously committed cruisers if you can return after a heart attack on the ship. Cunard must have done all the right things in the circumstances. :)

Thank you. He had a silent heart attack. He knew he was unwell & went to the doctor as soon as we got home. He thought that he had really bad indigestion. Thank goodness he wentas he was taken straight into hospital from the doctors. He is very well again now :)

Thank you. He had a silent heart attack. He knew he was unwell & went to the doctor as soon as we got home. He thought that he had really bad indigestion. Thank goodness he wentas he was taken straight into hospital from the doctors. He is very well again now :)
Hi cinta

I am very pleased to read that Mr. Cinta is very well again now, may I sincerely wish you a full and fast recovery from what reads as a very nasty fall.

A huge Bon Voyage for next month and your QV cruise (from the big city with the bright lights to the south of you (:)))

Edited by pepperrn

A silly question but when we leave New York on our cruise in two weeks time and spend three days at sea it will be cold to start with.

Can experienced cruisers tell me if cruisers go straight into summer clothes ie shorts,cut offs and tee shirts or do you start off wearing long trousers and long sleeved tops? Same query at the end of the cruise. Just need to know if I need to pack several pairs of long ? Summer trousers or just cut offs for me and shorts for him.

Thanks

A silly question but when we leave New York on our cruise in two weeks time and spend three days at sea it will be cold to start with. Can experienced cruisers tell me if cruisers go straight into summer clothes ie shorts,cut offs and tee shirts or do you start off wearing long trousers and long sleeved tops? Same query at the end of the cruise. Just need to know if I need to pack several pairs of long ? Summer trousers or just cut offs for me and shorts for him. Thanks
When I left New York for the Caribbean on QM2 a few years back (then it only took two days to reach our destination) I was very glad to have some top layers & long trousers the first day on our way south, other passengers were dressed similarly. By the second day it was warmer (but still breezy out on deck), but there were some wearing shorts, and the outside pools were being used. The reverse was of course true on the way back north. It can be very cold out on deck off the North-East coast in November. Edited by pepperrn

I am on the leg Melb-Hong Kong, I have cruised QM2 previously and had one long dress and then got away with cocktail frocks but this was only 7 day cruise, will be on QV for 24 with 5 formal nights, but I am sure I will be fine, your outfits seem perfectly fine to me, and luck was in your side with picking up sale items. I found on QM2 that only those attending the dances after dinner were the majority who wore long frocks.