Formal Attire for Women

resordanis

That was my line of thinking. It allows for more variety rather than wearing the same couple of evening dresses throughout the whole trip. Thanks. I assume mid-calf skirts are okay.

I get plenty of variety on my cruises as I take a different long dress for each formal night. No chance of me repeating the same dress twice. :D Great fun on a world cruise as I get to wear at least 33 long dresses, which I love.

:D

Good excuse to glam up! ;)

Personally I was underwhelmed by the adherence to the dress code on QV world cruise this year. Yes there were a lot of long dresses, some evening separates, some shorter dressy dresses; but also a good number of cardigans and elasticated trousers which I would swear were good old Crimplene.

Some of the outfits were "pop out for last minute shopping" casual, and no one on the staff batted an eyelid! And this is in bars and MDR not in the buffet.

Yes, maggiemou, we're going to have to repeat at least one formal outfit over the 18-day voyage. At the moment, we've agreed that whichever formal ensemble earns an unsolicited compliment during the first leg of the trip will be what we wear at the second "Cunard 175" shindig.

I pored through these forums during these last few weeks, and I found some truly classy dressers who sail on the QM2. (Thank god the official "fashion police" seem to have retired -- they may have tossed us overboard!) So if we can manage to translate our quirky tastes into something worthy of such a magnificent ship, we will be thrilled.

Hope you have a delightful time!

I get plenty of variety on my cruises as I take a different long dress for each formal night. No chance of me repeating the same dress twice. :D Great fun on a world cruise as I get to wear at least 33 long dresses, which I love.

How many suitcases do you take? I am struggling with fitting my outfits into two cases, one of which will be shipping to the ship. Any packing tricks to magic one's case into a Tardis?

I honestly didn't think when I started this thread I would get so many replies. We also have a baggage problem as our cruise starts in Sydney and finishes in Hong Kong so we have a flight one way. I also have seen formal clothes decline on Princess and Royal Caribbean so that is why I asked the question.

I will purchase 1 formal long gown and wear cocktail length dresses the other nights and hope that is acceptable. Problem is finding something suitable for my age!

Looking forward to our first Cunard cruise, just now hoping we look the part!

Thanks again.

We're first-time QM2 passengers. My husband and I are both 40, and I'm dealing with a debilitating genetic disorder that will force me into a mobility scooter most of this upcoming round-tip crossing (Oct 11-28). Eighteen days, all total.

But before I fell ill, I worked a job that required me to attend a good number of formal events, so I'm mostly prepared.

My husband has two full tuxes; one modern Christian Dior and one Frock Morning Tux. He also has one nice dark dinner jacket, one sports jacket, and one really weird "old west" costume tux jacket we plan to wear on the masquerade night.

I have two full-length gowns. The first I bought expressly for the crossing because it matches the morning tux's style (and it's a titanic dress: http://www.natayadresses.com/en/nataya-best-sellers/289-nataya-40007-new-titanic-dress-in-black-coco-.html). The second is a dress I wore for an awards ceremony. I have a '50s retro formal dress that will go with my husband's "old west" " tux. I have two formal-ish cocktail dress for the other two formal nights (both worn to upscale shows I've attended), and for the Ascot Ball, I have a velvet smart dress and accompanying jacket -- and a matching fascinator (which, as an American, I've never worn before).

We're eclectic dressers who hate slovenly clothing on a good day, so we welcome the QM2'sdress code. On the flip side, my health is very delicate right now, so I'll be spending most of the time glued to a mobility scooter. Which will totally crimp my attempts at style, I'm afraid.

*** on Edit: One huge thing my husband and I DON'T abide is uncomfortable shoes. Ballerina flats for me; mod, heel-less "beatle boots" for him. ***

Wow, your cruise wardrobe sounds fantastic! Just one comment, you say your health "will force me into a mobility scooter." Is this something new? If so, you might want to practice with a long skirt so you know how to manage the scooter and a long dress without running over or tearing the hem.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Wow, your cruise wardrobe sounds fantastic! Just one comment, you say your health "will force me into a mobility scooter." Is this something new? If so, you might want to practice with a long skirt so you know how to manage the scooter and a long dress without running over or tearing the hem.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Thank you! I've been using a low-end scooter on and off for about a year, but at the recommendation of one of medical advisers Cunard suggested that I contact, I upgraded to a small four-wheel go-go. (I'm fairly light, so I can get away with smaller travel scooters.) I've been practicing driving in a gown inside my house, and although it feels and probably looks silly, it'll work.

I even practiced riding "side saddle," and BOY did that look dumb!

Thank you! I've been using a low-end scooter on and off for about a year, but at the recommendation of one of medical advisers Cunard suggested that I contact, I upgraded to a small four-wheel go-go. (I'm fairly light, so I can get away with smaller travel scooters.) I've been practicing driving in a gown inside my house, and although it feels and probably looks silly, it'll work.

I even practiced riding "side saddle," and BOY did that look dumb!

Whether you've got potential long-skirt issues or not, practice is a good idea. I saw someone on a HAL cruise nearly back down a flight of stairs because she wasn't used to a scooter and didn't really know how to drive it. And you may feel silly driving around your house in a gown (I'm kinda giggling imagining it), but on the ship, think regal, like the Queen in a royal procession!

How many suitcases do you take? I am struggling with fitting my outfits into two cases, one of which will be shipping to the ship. Any packing tricks to magic one's case into a Tardis?

Nineteen suitcases on a world cruise and there are usually 33 formal nights Hence the number of long dresses. Don't even ask about my SHOES ;)

Nineteen suitcases on a world cruise and there are usually 33 formal nights Hence the number of long dresses. Don't even ask about my SHOES ;)

Just picking myself up off the floor :) 19... wow, going through customs must be fun. How do you transport them all? I thought I was overdoing it with 2 cases for a 2+ week cruise. But, I do want choice. Can anyone else beat 19 cases? Where do you store all the cases and clothes on the ship? I am trying out the courier service for one of my bags as I don't fancy crossing London with two cases. But the White Star service is pricey even for just one case. You're my hero! :D

Lack of restrictions as to the number of suitcases is a great thing about traveling on Cunard. But, I do not believe the "average" passenger brings as many as 19 bags, with the exception of perhaps Grills passengers on a full-World Cruise.

Grills accommodations on Cunard ships are in the minority. Most cabins are Britannia class. I can't imagine how 19 suitcases could be stored in a Britannia balcony or inside cabin.

Nineteen suitcases isn't a benchmark.

Maggiemou is obviously someone who takes (and enjoys) dressing-up very seriously. I think this is wonderful and I would love to see her in her many formal gowns. But, I have no interest in ever packing so many belongings (or owning so much formalwear) myself.

For our longest voyage to date (36 days) DH and I each had one large and one medium size suitcase and enough belongings for a comfortable time.

From my observations, many women bring basic black dresses or dressy black trousers and add different accessories/tops/jackets to create different-appearing outfits, rather than a different gown for each and every formal night (on voyages when there will be so many formal nights).

I'm not saying it is "wrong" to bring only gowns and to pack a different one for each formal night. I'm only saying---from my observations---that isn't what most lady passengers do.

Viva la differences! Some of us like to shop more. Some of us have more restrictive budgets. Some of us haven't changed dress size in many years. While there is a dress code for all, there is still a lot of variation how feminine dress is individualized on formal nights.

I would say that most passengers are affected by airplane baggage restrictions and pack accordingly.

At the same time, I do not suggest that someone who wants to go "all out" doesn't. Cruising is a wonderful opportunity to dress-up and enjoy dressing-up.

But, in my opinion and from my experience, formal dress on a Cunard ship is do-able and shouldn't be off-putting to all the ladies who prefer cocktail dresses and dressy trouser outfits and do need to conform to airplane suitcase restrictions.

Happy Sailing!

Jimmybean

It is good to see that the demand for steamer trunks is being maintained. On board storage might be problematic, however.

This is one of those times we men really get the advantage. Even with perhaps a white jacket from tropical climates and few extra fancy cummerbunds and ties, formal packing is still not bad.

I do use my father's 1930s steamer trunk as cocktail table at home. I suppose one could try some retro stateroom redecorating on arrival.

I have been on a cruise with maggiemou and I can honestly say her gowns are beautiful and yes she has a different one for each formal nights. Many ladies do.When you go to the ballroom you will be astonished by the dress both by men and woman. We love to go and watch so entertaining.

Maggiemou's wardrobe allows us girls to dream :p. Was wondering how many female travellers sneak one or two (or many more) of their outfits into their partner's suitcases (with or without them noticing)?

Overflow often happens from my suitcase to my husband's and certainly will on our upcoming WC sector. Three or four dresses and a few pairs of shoes at least will find their way into his case. I find shoes, toiletries and medications take up a surprising amount of space: I like to keep meds in original packaging while travelling through countries with different drug laws (sometimes legally fraught). My husband doesn't mind sharing his case-space, but was hoping Customs wouldn't publically pull his bag apart when we were going in different directions from Thailand once - home to Aus for him and me to Europe. His case was loaded with my not-needed tropical clothing, shoes & swimwear. It did look a bit strange! Packing dilemmas and long haul flights with ever stricter baggage restrictions are the price paid for long, lovely holidays far away.

I am amazed at the wealth of information I have received from starting this thread.

I am one of those that need to take into consideration a flight at the end of our cruise and also different climates!

I will try and purchase a formal gown (only 1 unfortunately!), but will probably wear twice (:eek:). Other than that, cocktail style dresses, two favorite black dresses and a series of skirts (formal) and long trousers combined with formal type tops! Do you all think that will be suitable? Hope so!

Thanks to all for the information:D

Just picking myself up off the floor :) 19... wow, going through customs must be fun. How do you transport them all? I thought I was overdoing it with 2 cases for a 2+ week cruise. But, I do want choice. Can anyone else beat 19 cases? Where do you store all the cases and clothes on the ship? I am trying out the courier service for one of my bags as I don't fancy crossing London with two cases. But the White Star service is pricey even for just one case. You're my hero! :D

I have to believe that she "ships" them to the ship but I don't know that for sure. We are doing our longest cruise to date (30 days) in the spring and I am considering doing that. We will probably have two large bags each and two carry ons. I don't want to drag all that luggage; since the cruise departs and returns from the US it is about $100 per bag to ship. Something to think about ....

I will try and purchase a formal gown (only 1 unfortunately!), but will probably wear twice (:eek:). Other than that, cocktail style dresses, two favorite black dresses and a series of skirts (formal) and long trousers combined with formal type tops! Do you all think that will be suitable? Hope so!

Thanks to all for the information:D

It will be fine. I bought a long skirt and top for my first Cunard cruise. On subsequent cruises I wore that for every formal. I had another outfit that I wore on all the semi-formal nights and then black trousers and a couple of tops for the informal nights. I had no problems with only 3 or 4 changes. I loved each outfit and so I was happy wearing it again.

However, since then I've started cruising several times a year and I now have multiple outfits, all picked up relatively cheaply at an outlet centre. I find the trick is to look for bargains whenever you go shopping, even if you don't have a cruise in mind. You can often pick up wonderful bargains, like £200 jackets down to £40, or even a dress for £20 down from £140. The cruise wardrobe soon fills. The trick is to find an outlet centre that sells brands that you like, and to go there with an open mind.