Welcome to new NCL cruisers - are the promos attactring new customers?

jmele999

Do you think you get a better deal if you book a future cruise while on a cruise? I have heard that recently and I might just try it out when we sail on the escape.

Any thoughts on best deals? I thought 6 months out was good enough but now I think not.

There are two ways to get a future cruise credit - you can book a specific cruise and you are guaranteed at least one of perks on the promotion (UBP, UDP, etc) or you can simply put a deposit on a future cruise.

The cost for the future cruise credit is $250 but you get a $150 on-board to use on that cruise. However, please note that it is not an actual on-board but simply a discount on your $250 deposit so that you only have to pay $150 - does that make sense?

Future cruise credits are good for four years. We always buy one.

We're new to NCL (two previous cruises with Carnival). We were looking to try another line just to see what else is out there. With the KSF promo, NCL beat the competition's price by over $800 for a comparable stateroom and itinerary. And then there's the UBP, which was truly FREE when we booked back in March. We even managed to rebook our traveling companion's interior room in July to include the UBP. Yes, they were charging the 18% gratuity at that point, but his room category had fallen enough in price to cover the $60-something charge. We can't wait to sail next month.

We are new to NCL we have been wanting to try freestyle for a while we would like to get away from the formal dining on CCL and RCCL after 10 cruises it's not all that cool and all ports are fly to ports for us. When my DH saw the promo for the UBP we decided to jump on it. The cost of the cheers package on Carnival for the 2 of us is the same as another cruise fare. We are taking a trial run on the Jade in Jan. If we like it we will be booking more.

Yes we are new to Norwegian. we normally cruise on Royal but the new ship Escape seemed really fun and the lower price, drink package sealed the deal.. We also talked some friends into it as they are big drinkers and the UDP was a bargain to them. So next cruise is going to be a lot of fun.

100% without a doubt the promos got me to switch from Royal Caribbean. Not saying I won't go back to RC, and I have cruises booked with other lines, but the promos put NCL on the radar for me and got me to sign off on the bill. So...it worked here.

Ditto here. My mom and dad were loyal to Royal (probably 30-32 of their 35 cruises on RC) so I was pre-programmed...and truth be told when I'm looking at cruises Royal is probably my default first look. I've got a December cruise booked on the Jewel for two reasons, one being that it leaves from LA (easier to get to than the east coast) and the other definitely was the package of promos that came with the cruise.

We'll see how the December cruise goes but for my 2017 and on vacation choices I can see NCL in the mix from here on out.

We are taking our first NCL cruise in a few weeks. To be fair, we have only cruised one other time, so can't really have an opinion on which line suits us best.

We chose NCL based on sailing date ( DH vacation dates are not flexible) then on price, followed by departure port and itinerary.

We booked back in April, and I think we got a pretty good deal that included 3rd passenger sails free and the UBP including gratuities. But I have been watching the price for our sailing go up and stay up, so if I was booking a vacation today, NCL would be out of our budget and we would be going to a land based AI.

*Waves*

I just booked my first non-Carnival cruise aboard the Escape for December 2016. I've always been a creature of habit and since my family has defaulted to me to be in charge of all the planning/booking I've stayed with the mindset don't fix what's not broken. Well, we recently debarked the Carnival Sunshine and while it was probably one of our best cruises to date, I created a monster with my family I did not see coming. We had the "Captains Suite" which I know compared to NCL isn't so "sweet" but for Carnival, it's the largest cabin w/ balcony they have on a select few of their ships.

Well, my family enjoyed it SO much that they've now requested it be the only type of cabin they cruise in. I don't know if I got a "steal" for September, I knew the cabin was x2 as much as the grand suite but all the future dates I looked at had the cabin priced out for over $8k for any week I tried. It was then I decided to propose the idea to my family that maybe it was time to give NCL a try. I was met with a little resistance until I showed them a video of a Haven Suite from the Getaway - room 9316, aft penthouse. Not even a minute into this video and they were SOLD!

The only minor downside is that the cruise is only 7 days long and for last few years we've been doing strictly 8 day itineraries. However, I think all the amenities that the Haven comes with will hopefully offset the sadness over cruising for only 7 days. Now comes to the planning in which I feel like a complete fish out of water. Luckily I have over a year to do some thorough research and understand all the ins & outs. What I can't find I'll be sure to come running here with any and all questions.

Really looking forward to my first NCL cruise next year, hopefully it will be the first of many!! :D

I am booked on the Gem out of New York for January. I booked back in Feb. when the UBP was truly free. We have been on many cruises but never NCL. We choose NCL for many reasons. We generally like to at the end of september (our anniversary) or in January (to break up the winter). We were Carnival loyalist (the price is right), however we also like the convenience of cruising out of NY(where we live). We have a toddler who we cruise with and it is much easier and cheaper for us to not have to fly to florida. Carnival no longer cruise out of NY in the winter. We also wanted to try something different. The UBP Promo was just a bonus for us as our onboard account balance is usually mostly alcohol but we never drink enough to make purchasing the drink package worth it. O and I forgot they had the Kids sail free promotion when we booked as well, which is another bonus since we have a 3 year old and it the main reason, they won out over RCCL. That and the fact that we didn't have to travel to Jersey.

Edited by muffin83
Add kids sail free promo.

As far as I understand, the packages underwent a change, which I'm sure someone with more knowledge of that subject, will chime in with shortly.

However, for us, as far as I understand, we are grandfathered into the older packages. Therefore, we aren't subjected to the new charges on the beverage package, and aren't limited to the number of nights we eat in speciality restaurants, when using the dining package. But, I also assume that means we are limited to $11 drinks with the drink package.

We have the 'original' UBP promo for our Jun 2016 cruise too. It will be our second time having it before the new change. NCL pays gratuities. They won't lose a ton with us because we aren't heavy drinkers.

New/First time NCL customer, sailing tomorrow!

Reason? A 7 day trip to Bermuda on the Breakaway with the Ultimate Drink Package was the same price as Royal Caribbean's 5 day trip to Bermuda with NO drink package.

So yeah....SOLD.

Edited by MastaBlasta

We booked NCL Getaway for the week after Thanksgiving at the request of some friends who had already booked. We are loyal to Royal (with the kids) and Celebrity. We have status on both those lines. However, we couldn't pass up the price (699 pp in a balcony gty) with a booze package. So for us the promos were key in the booking decision.

Honestly, we had been anti NCL for years after several friends and family had less than stellar experiences on other ships.

We are optimistic that we will have a great time and we haven't gotten a deal like this in years. We know we will get more than what we paid for and for us that's important.

Edited by AZ ParrotHead

we booked our first NCL cruise after US customs dept decided no more CTNs in 2016. we were initially trying NCL to see if our kids might like it for a future family cruise. since then, NCL has decided to leave Houston so NCL is out for family cruises. we got a good price on our sky cruise and are looking forward to the inclusive beverages on the sky next year.

Just booked the Epic for Jan 2017 -- 4 night Bahama. Got a mini suite for the same price as a balcony together with a 5% AARP discount.

It wasn't the promos that cinched it -- although the Dining Package we opted for is a real plus, it's more of trying something different! We look forward to cruising on a different line, on a ship that is larger than those ships that typically do the Bahamas. Additionally, Epic will be at our closest port.

The Freestyle options, Comedy venues, variety of restaurants, etc. is what drew us.

Epic is scheduled to be home-based in Port Canaveral for just 5 months & then she returns to Europe. It remains to be seen if she returns to Canaveral the following winter.

Carpe Diem!

DW has always wanted to do a cruise. Early this year I asked if she would rather do a driving vacation up north or do a cruise; I don't have to tell you what she picked. We did a day cruise many moons ago from FL to Freeport, but this will be our first overnight one.

Looked around at the options for the week of our 25th anniversary in December. The best deal seemed to be NCL. I would have booked an inside, because for our first time we'll just be happy being there, but switched to an OV to get the UBP included. She drinks a little, I moderately, except if I'm on vacation and don't have many responsibilities. ;) I would say that the promos did help with the decision, but oddly enough, the big selling point would be that they serve Pepsi. I <3 Pepsi.

We've only cruised once- about 12 years ago on the Norwegian Sea....I remember being "parked" next to the Dawn when she was bran new. We were on the oldest and smallest ship of the fleet next to the newest and largest....About 18 months ago we booked a cruise on the Dawn- not to again be on an older and smaller ship- but rather the port (we can drive to New Orleans) and also the SKJ family suite is perfect for us (family of 5- with kids- no desire for a balcony. In the spring when oil prices really were bottoming, I checked back on the website and was able to rebook and get UDP, UBP, free DSC, and a $200 OBC(had been $300 lost $100 to rebook, fare also went up a bit, but more than worth it) Booked the same thanksgiving cruise for 2016, and also booked the star from Tampa in Jan 2017 (idea was we'd likely do one or the other, probably not both). When the Star repositioned, we rebooked into a 2 bedroom suite...they let us keep all the promos (better than what was then offered)- but did have to spend about 4-500 more for a 5 day cruise.....probably not as good as a value of the SJ, but the SC looks so sweet!

Over the last week I have noticed an increase in the number of posters who are new to NCL board. Has any else also noticed the same trend? Are the promos (free UBP, UDP, etc) attracting new customers?

By the way, welcome to the NCL board. We are happy to have you?

Actually no, I got the soft drink package but only found out that after booking. Last year I went on a cruise with thompson cruises, their cruise ship was docked next to Epic on the day we arrived and i wanted to have a trip on that ship.

• 3 months later...
I'm new, and we booked an inside so didn't get a promo! I booked because of the price (£400 for 10 days) and because I've always wanted to try cruising but didn't like the idea of set dining and formal dress. So, a winner all round for me! Have to say that although we didn't book for the promo, it nearly tempted us into a balcony so we could get a perk.

We have an inside on a 7 day eastern Caribbean on Epic. Somehow my agent included the UBP! If this isn't a valid deal, might they take it away on arrival? We were pumped about saving that thousand bucks! We would get our money's worth for sure...

We have an inside on a 7 day eastern Caribbean on Epic. Somehow my agent included the UBP! If this isn't a valid deal, might they take it away on arrival? We were pumped about saving that thousand bucks! We would get our money's worth for sure...

Promotions change all the time. You evidently booked during a period when insides qualified for a pick 1 or pick 2 promo. No worries... If the package is listed on your reservation confirmation... you got it!

New to site and NCL. I have sailed on two Carnival ships (Breeze and Sensation) and just got off Oasis of the Seas last month.

Was looking for Eastern itinerary for December 10th, 2016. With a preference of Port Canaveral. Which left 3 choices of Oasis again, the Carnival Magic or NCL Epic.

Was looking mostly at the Magic due to enjoying my first two Carnival cruises immensely. Had fun on Oasis but it just didn't live up to the hype overall. Just my opinion.

Was just about to book Carnival Magic when I noticed promotions for NCL. Glad I did. The free UBP definitely caught my interest. But then I saw studio cabins and was sold. Booked the Epic sailing Dec. 10th. As a single you just can't beat that deal. I'm sailing for roughly 300 less than what the Dream would have cost. And that's before figuring in alcohol.

Looking forward to checking out NCL. Definitely some unique things on the ship. Can't wait to hit the ice bar!!

Started on Home Lines Oceanic in the 70's and have been cruising ever since. Of late, mostly Princess and RCL. The promos were a deciding factor. Seemed like a good deal so we booked a suite on a Panama Canal LAX to MIA. Also got a nice OBC from our TA. Was too good to pass up so we'll give it a try.

Not directly on the topic, but the promos are what is keeping me with NCL. I'm all about value. I can't afford to waste money on a cruise. It may cost me going on another one.

Now, even Holland America is offering a free drink package promo. I never would have thought that would happen. Think that promo is working. It's a no brainer.

For those that don't like what NCL is doing with DSC, and 18 % gratuities just add those in are compare the price. It's not hard. I do it every cruise. If you don't like how they're going about it, I suggest go spend more money somewhere else.

Holland America offers the beverage package for a period and then drastically drops the cruise price when the promo ends. Very different from NCL. I sailed with HAL exclusively and very often for the past ten years but got fed up with this practice. Nobody there would listen when I would complain about the huge difference in prices, in the thousands, when they did this. Oh, they would offer the lower price but you had to give up the promo. That is precisely why we recently booked with NCL. A very good value indeed.