Welcome to new NCL cruisers - are the promos attactring new customers?

jmele999

People aren't getting the UBP "free" though, right? Or are they mostly not noticing the extra charge(s)?

Yes. One of the promos is free UBP. $64 a day if I am correct. For 2 people for a 7 day cruise that works out to be $896! Yes if you are referring to having to pay the gratuity then I guess you would technically not be right in the sense that it is not 100% free, but it is still a savings of $896 for people who would have bought the package. That's a steal in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the last week I have noticed an increase in the number of posters who are new to NCL board. Has any else also noticed the same trend? Are the promos (free UBP, UDP, etc) attracting new customers?

By the way, welcome to the NCL board. We are happy to have you?

On RCL we turned Diamond on our last cruise (80+ nts), however our next is on NCL:eek:

Last April I was looking for an early December Houston/Galveston trip. The price for NCL and RCL was within $100 or so, itineraries of course don't matter much out of those two ports BUT NCL was offering UBP/UDP etc, Royal wasn't so NCL got the nod, kinda fancied a change too:)

Let's hope it works out as I've already booked a Canal trip on NCL for 2017 :D

I was referring to the subject of this thread, newly-booking NCL customers who may not notice the service charges OR be aware that it used to be free literally, not just figuratively.

I don't use the drink packages; NCL is just quite obviously more weaselly than most with their wording, and I feel like I'll have to be extra careful with the fine print if I sail with them again. To me it's less about perceived value and more about how shady they are.

Shady? As in any sale, read the T&C, pretty simple.

Edited by pspercy

People aren't getting the UBP "free" though, right? Or are they mostly not noticing the extra charge(s)?

Most of them are newer on NCL so they are privy to what the old pricing was before Mr Del Feo.

I'm not naive enough to think they are giving it to me for free.

There was also an earlier post saying they are glad NCL no longer lets you reduce tips onboard. OOPS I mean DSC because they are looking out for their staff.

Since the staff isn't getting all of the money since the 2 new hikes this year they are looking out for themselves as well.\

Bill

I get what you mean but some are getting it for free. I saw on TZ that you could book a 7 day on the Star from Tampa in an inside for $399 including UBP. Which to me seems like they're giving either the cruise or UBP away for free.

To answer the initial question the promos didn't bring me back. I'm going to the Med and the itinerary was everything I wanted. Plus the the price was fantastic. I think we picked the dining package but it really wasn't a deciding factor at all for us.

I'm new, and we booked an inside so didn't get a promo! I booked because of the price (£400 for 10 days) and because I've always wanted to try cruising but didn't like the idea of set dining and formal dress. So, a winner all round for me! Have to say that although we didn't book for the promo, it nearly tempted us into a balcony so we could get a perk.

For us it was the ports. We can only sail in a very narrow window in may because of the kids school schedule ( its summer hols in india in may) and ncl was the only line offering venice Athens istanbul Rome naples florence barcelona amongst others. No other cruiseline gets to all these ports in may and these are on our bucket list .

Sent from my SM-G850Y using Tapatalk

UBP definately attracted us to NCL. Being D+ with RCI means our bar bill is not huge but as we tend to do longer cruises it does add up.

First tried the Jade a couple of years ago, booked in the UK including UBP. As there is so little difference between the two lines, we decided to do the Transatlantic on the Getaway last year, again including the UBP.

Loved the Getaway even though the weather on the crossing was poor (well it was January)

Soon we board the Vision of the Seas for the crossing followed by a seven night Caribbean. We were due to stay on the Vision for another 19 nights but seeing the prices on the Breakaway, also for 19 nights, we swapped.

We saved over $200, including the flights from Tampa to JFK and an overnight hotel in NY, and we get the drinks package included. We also have a balcony on the Breakaway as opposed to an outside on the Vision.

We have been sailing with Royal for just over 10 years and love the product. We have noticed recently that prices are creeping up, especially on the newer, bigger ships. NCL's pricing may have increased to include the 'free' offers but the value for money NCL offers does seem, IMHO, better.

We have also booked the 3 night dining package for each cruise on the Breakaway which is also better value than Royal.

We have the Epic booked for 21 nights in February as the prices were just too good to say no to!

Pete

OP - answer to your question is Yes UBP has bought us in as new customers - we have done 3 with 4 booked.

Not directly on the topic, but the promos are what is keeping me with NCL. I'm all about value. I can't afford to waste money on a cruise. It may cost me going on another one.

Now, even Holland America is offering a free drink package promo. I never would have thought that would happen. Think that promo is working. It's a no brainer.

For those that don't like what NCL is doing with DSC, and 18 % gratuities just add those in are compare the price. It's not hard. I do it every cruise. If you don't like how they're going about it, I suggest go spend more money somewhere else.

Over the last week I have noticed an increase in the number of posters who are new to NCL board. Has any else also noticed the same trend? Are the promos (free UBP, UDP, etc) attracting new customers?

By the way, welcome to the NCL board. We are happy to have you?

I'm brand new, leaving on my first cruise ever on the Dawn tomorrow!

There were a couple of things that swayed me toward NCL; first was the port, which is super convenient for me leaving out of Boston since I live in NH. I really didn't want to have to bother with an airport for this vacation.

Next were the promos, and aside from any gratuities, I knew the included UBP would be a great deal for both my boyfriend and I.

The promos have been great. I booked a cruise for this January back in February and paid less for my suite then I did the previous year and received more with the UBP, UDP, and on board credit. They are doing a great job with the promos to entice people for a great value and a fun vacation.

I have only sailed NCL once on the Getaway, but have 2 more booked at this time (Getaway and Escape ) The promos are a definite factor seeing as I paid over $400 for a drink package on my last Carnival cruise with a $10 per drink limit...

For us it was a mix of things. We have cruised before (CCl, RCI, DCL) and were looking for something for our anniversary. NCL had the only ship for what we wanted. HOWEVER we probably wouldn't have booked the cruise at all if we didn't have the promos.

In addition, I typically do a TON of research before making a decision like this so I was on the boards reading reviews and comments. Thank you to those who have posted and provided info and feedback. It has helped a lot.

Yes, for sure for me. I've done 7 Carnival cruises. I was able to get a buy one get one free rate, $100 obc, and free UBP. So, for a family of 4 to be all in at under $1200 in a balcony for Western Med. was fantastic! I'm excited to try a new line as I was getting a bit bored with CCL.

Everyone always talks about how great NCL treats its suite guests. I figured it was time and the promo's pushed it that much quicker.

You will love the suites. And they treat you great I used to just get balcony cabin but was upgraded to Haven and since then I have always booked a suite or haven.

We aren't "new" to NCL - we sailed once in 1998 and again in 2011. But we only sail once every 18 months or so as a family and even less often without kids. I wanted to do something for our 20th this year and we compared all-inclusive land-based vacations and all of the main stream cruiselines. My first choice is always itinerary!

That being said, the promotions were what made NCL come out on top. I was able to get a suite with UDP, UBP (the old ones where I don't pay gratuity), all gratuities, and a $200 OBC for only about 20% more than a balcony room on Princess, RCI, Carnival (only other lines I looked at). It ended up being about 20% cheaper than an all-inclusive land based vacation - not counting the fact that I save time and money on airfare leaving out of Tampa versus flying to Jamaica. And I get to go to 4 different ports rather than one location like a land-based. I am not sure we would have selected NCL without the promotions that basically made our trip totally all-inclusive!!

To all the new cruisers on NCL - Welcome and enjoy your trips!

Regarding the reasoning of why some people pick UBP promo despite the T&C and/or service charges - Because its alot more doable in getting your money's worth than paying the regular full price of the UBP. I totally understand - miminum of 9-12 drinks total or 3-4 a day for a 7 day trip under the promo compare to a minimum of needing to drink 8-10 alcoholic drinks under the regular UBP package. Perfect promo for even port-extensive days![emoji3]

No need to explain it to a non-drinker like me - I completely get it especially for the moderate drinkers.[emoji16] Enjoy your drinks!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

We have been diehard Disney fans for a lot of years: cruises & parks. I'll just put that on out there. I've done 12 Disney cruises in 4 years. For me, I've been reading all the excitement with NCL's new ships, the prices are downright bargains compared to Disney, and the promos are generous even after paying the service fees for the UBP. Won't deny I've been getting bored with Disney's offerings. The menus, the activities, the shows, itineraries....it's grown repetitive. I'm not paying the obscene prices for the interesting itineraries. I'm not paying premiums for Star Wars or Halloween theming because I don't really care for either. And if I have to have Frozen garbage shoved in front of me one more time I think my head will explode. So there's that.

NCL was a breath of fresh air for me. We booked our first NCL cruise on the Getaway about a month of so prior to sailing. We took the "free" UBP promo. I knew going in that I had to pay the service charge for it. I knew we'd get our money's worth. (We did. Saved receipts. Bar drinks came up to over $800. I didn't pay that much in fees so we did fine.) I have no problem paying the service fees/gratuities. I prepaid mine so it was done and I didn't have to think about it again. And Freestyle dining! I LOVE this! I am sick to death of eating at an assigned time & place. I love having choices. Lots of choices. We had a fabulous time for 7 glorious nights as opposed to the 3 nights the same money would've gotten us on Disney.

So for us, we jumped over because of price & value. The promos are lagniappe!

Yup, new passenger here. Booked on Escape for February. We've done 4 RCI cruises (none of Oasis class) and one Celebrity cruise. We are now cruising with our young kids, and RCI has yet to add any good water slides to its ships (which is changing). We were looking at Carnival Breeze vs. Escape and choose Escape because of the water park and the free beverage package. The itinerary was much better on Carnival but we like amenities/entertainment on the Escape better. We will sail on an Oasis class, but I'd like to have another "go-to" cruise company for the Caribbean besides RCI. I wish NCL's larger ships would expand itineraries though to places like Antigua, St. Kitts, etc.

To me it's less about perceived value and more about how shady they are.

It is rather shady, truthfully. I guess if they are being technical (and they are) you are getting "free" beverages but not the gratuity. So a "free" beverage promo is correct but misleading. If you go on the website it has a little asterisk after the UBP but I couldn't find the terms that match the promotion. You only find that out if you do a mock booking or actually book.

We had the UBP on Holland America and it was truly free, but I don't really mind paying the gratuity. That's much better than the $500 bar bill my husband and I racked up on our Radiance of the Seas cruise. Spent a lot of time in the champagne bar. :D

Edited by sctexan