Sailing out of NY in January, should I be worried?

Lacaena

We have sailed out of Baltimore on a 8 nights cruise to Bahamas / Florida last February, President's Day week. When we returned I remember saying I would not be sailing out of Northeast in the winter again. The seas were somewhat rough, but mostly it was very cold and windy with outside decks covered with ice and unpassable unless you are wearing full winter attire. It put a damp on the whole "Carribean experience" expectation. HOWEVER, this year came and 10 nights NCL Gem cruise in January sounds very enticing. I am at a loss, too. Should we fly to Miami and take a week cruise on Getaway (been on BA twice, loved it) or should we try another Northeast winter sailing? What did you decide, OP? (and why?) Thank You.:)

In the winter it doesn't always make a difference. I went out of Port Canaveral with RCI last February, and we had horrible, not super cold, but couldn't enjoy the beach or the pool weather for most of it. I swore I would not go out of FL again in the winter, and would only leave from San Juan.

Then I looked at the flights and the stress of worrying about my flights in January/February out of NYC -- I look at the forecast as soon as the 10 day goes up and start freaking out, was too much for me and I ended up canceling the AOS out of San Juan and booked the Breakaway :) My compromise was the spa pass. I am of the a day on a ship is better than a day in December weather in NYC. i went to Bermuda in July a few years ago and it rained the entire time, still had an amazing trip.

Queenschick9b, Thank You. This is exactly what I wanted to hear because despite our last year's experience 10 days out of NYC with no flying involved appeal more to me the 7 out of Fl with air games due to weather conditions. Did you go on Gem before?

Lacaena,

When you get onboard there is one sure fire way to never feel rough seas or any kind of seasickness. All you have to do is:

1. board the ship

2. make your way to the pool and jump in

3. (and this is important) swim to the deep end and "tread water'

while you are treading water it wont matter how rough the seas get because you will be treading water and thus your body will be suspended in water. Your equilibrium will be tricked during your time in the pool.

Any time you feel the slightest bit of upset tummy..sickness..off balance due to rough seas you can use this method. After about 20 mins of treading water you will be slightly fatigued but you burned off enough calories to revisit the buffet and load up on the encased salt cured breakfast meats.

The above advice is provided free of charge.

i hope you have a great cruise and whatever is thrown at you...make the best of it...(and be sure to give a full review) we will be cruising 2 months after you in March!!!

Cheers,

Mark

This is the most interesting piece of advice! I think it might be a bit cold to jump in the pool in January! But I'll keep it in mind for the spa!

I'll be sure to do a review!!!

For those of you who recommended Bonine, is it going to make me sleepy? I know you can't say for sure, because everyone is different but I'd be interested to hear!

Thanks for all the great advice so far! I feel better :)

Queenschick9b, Thank You. This is exactly what I wanted to hear because despite our last year's experience 10 days out of NYC with no flying involved appeal more to me the 7 out of Fl with air games due to weather conditions. Did you go on Gem before?

No, but my co-worker is obsessed with the Gem. She is actually leaving tomorrow, but usually goes in early February. She is also a spa person, so that is where she spends the first couple of days down. She always says to me, she loves going from NYC because the moment you get on the ship you are on vacation, no matter what the weather.

We just love to cruise, we even have convinced the rest of our office to go on cruises. We are a little obsessed :)

Queenschick9b, that sounds good. Thank You for your response. I am waiting for final payment due date 11/08 and then will try to book a balcony room. I will probably get spa passes as well. I have read somewhere that if you pre-book passes on line before sailing there is a discount (at least on Gem, from regular $149/sailing to $120/sailing per person). We usually get one day passes once per cruise, but on this itinerary with 6 sea days, at lest three of them cold ones what you are saying about spa passes makes a lot of sense. Thank you, again. Enjoy your BA sailing.:)

We sailed on a Sunday at 4 pm had the outside sail away and were sunbathing by 2 pm on Monday

This was the jan 4 2015 ba sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have cruised out of NYC or NJ about 12 times and all were during January, February or March. About 24 hours into the cruise and about 500 miles or more to the South, it has always been shorts weather for us. As far as the seas??? We've seen worse leaving from Florida or SanJuan. Take your meclizine and watch the snow on the decks melt as you sail to warmer climes.

bosco

I have had zero side effects from bonine. Neither has anyone I know.

Why don't you take one before the trip for a day and see?

Many years back my Grandfather took a cruise to Bermuda, and precautionary they gave him Dramamine which does give the sleep hangover,. He was allergic. That ruined his vacation lol. My Grandmother decided to eat his food and hers'. She came home up 15, him down. They laughed for years

My wife and I sailed on the Gem out of NY last February on a 10-day cruise. We had a forward SE suite on deck 10. The cruise was great with relatively calm seas for the entire trip.

Here is a photo of the frozen Hudson just after we pulled away from the pier.

IMG_7564_zpst4mp24vy.jpg

It's CRAPSHOOT ... rough, calm.

We have sailed out of NYC in middle of winter 3 times - the seas were calm. Two were CTN but we went south as far as to MD/VA before turning around.

Once we sailed to Southern Caribbean on Spirit and the seas were calm going down and very slightly choppy going up.

Again, it's crapshoot.

My wife and I sailed on the Gem out of NY last February on a 10-day cruise. We had a forward SE suite on deck 10. The cruise was great with relatively calm seas for the entire trip.

Here is a photo of the frozen Hudson just after we pulled away from the pier.

IMG_7564_zpst4mp24vy.jpg

WOW!! Beautiful and interesting picture!!

We have cruised twice out of NYC in the winter -- once in January and once in February. Both times we had a fore facing suite. Once there were huge waves. Once the waves were quite calm. It was the first sea day that was rather rough, but by early afternoon all was fine. Get some Bonnie and take it as directed, or use the pills at the service desk. I think the sea conditions are part of the excitement of cruising.