Can a PVP give better than published rates?

wantocruisemore

We have a PVP that calls every couple days, usually when I search for cruises. He normally leaves a message about there's a special promotion he wants to discuss. In prior cruises I have always just booked on my own so I can check for price drops. I don't want to have to rely on getting in touch and going thru a PVP or a TA to do this. So can a PVP give better than published deals? And if so, would I have to then go thru them for price drops? I'm capable of searching rates etc. What exactly are advantages of a PVP?

Simple answer is No. They can only quote the published rates that CCL offers which includes any promotions being offered at the time. You also would either go thru the PVP for price drops or if not available you can go thru the CCL 800 number.

We have a PVP that calls every couple days, usually when I search for cruises. He normally leaves a message about there's a special promotion he wants to discuss. In prior cruises I have always just booked on my own so I can check for price drops. I don't want to have to rely on getting in touch and going thru a PVP or a TA to do this. So can a PVP give better than published deals? And if so, would I have to then go thru them for price drops? I'm capable of searching rates etc. What exactly are advantages of a PVP?
Edited by SHayesShip

A PVP is not like a TA. When I book through my PVP I can still manage all of the price drops, payments, changes, and such on line without involving him. He is there if I need to link in other reservations or deal with dining assignments and other issues where it helps to have an insider. I have often booked on line or on board then just let my PVP know my booking number. He gets linked to the booking and then can help if needed. They don't get commission, but they do get "credit" for the bookings they make, are linked to, or help with. They do have quotas to meet.

They can get you into rooms that aren't listed as available on the website. Ours was able to get us into a Grand Scenic OV on the Sunshine (shown as not available on website) from a "regular" Scenic OV for only $30 more. Pretty good deal for 100 more sq/ft for four people on an 8 day.

They can get you into rooms that aren't listed as available on the website. Ours was able to get us into a Grand Scenic OV on the Sunshine (shown as not available on website) from a "regular" Scenic OV for only $30 more. Pretty good deal for 100 more sq/ft for four people on an 8 day.

Yes, but so can a Customer Service agent if you call the 1-800 number. So not really an added benefit.

Correct. When we were looking at the Sunshine instead of the Breeze I wanted a specific deck of spa cabins. They weren't available online for me to book. So a pvp can help you with that, but if you don't want to be assigned a pvp any 1-800 agent can help you with that as well.

I have a great PVP she just calls if there's a deal she thinks I may be interested in or thinks I should know about.

I could book it all online myself, in fact I'm usually online looking while talking to her and booking but she makes sure everything is correct and if I need to make any changes I call her and it's handled. It's nice having a relationship with someone there if something happens who will advocate on your behalf.

It also to helps keep someone employed opposed to just using a computer.

At Walmart would you rather go through self checkout or a register when you have a lot of stuff to check out?

In what ways? I usually book myself through the website as well and wonder what services they would provide if we began to use one.

A good PVP can get better cabins not listed on the site, help you with changes and upgrades, provide good advice on room locations and you get more of a personal touch vs. just dealing with the first person that picks up the 800 number.

I typically search for cruises myself, then call my PVP so I can get the best cabin and location.

PVP's can do more than you can. First off, if you book with them, they can get rooms you cannot see are available, not just after the fact, but they can make a recommendation based on what they see, vs you looking at what it shows, I got an L shaped cabin, and my family members lined up next to my cabin, even though online showed that some rooms were not available. I could have called after, but now I'm booking and calling.

After the booking, everything is the same for you, unless you need help, in which case you have a specific and regular contact at carnival, and when they are off duty, you can still just talk to anyone there. My PVP helped get my mother in laws cruise on the mardi Gras added (her only other cruise ever) so she could get the past guest rate and OBC.

Last year, our PVP put a note on our booking that it was our anniversary, and champagne appeared on the second night.

I also wanted to try a Cove balcony on the next cruise after this upcoming one, PVP suggested a room based on feedback surveys from other customers for us. We don't have access to those, they actually do, and can research any issues, like engine noise complaints, above or below bad areas. I cannot guarantee it, but my PVP knows I dont like kids ( ok to be honest, I don't like how terrible some parents are with kids, and don't trust kids to have been raised properly) he gave me a list of rooms available, I picked one, and he said I might want to pick a different room, because "there's often families with an 8 and 10 year old next door to that room"

Great PVP's are hard to find, but can make a huge difference

Edited by pbsteve

A good PVP can get better cabins not listed on the site, help you with changes and upgrades, provide good advice on room locations and you get more of a personal touch vs. just dealing with the first person that picks up the 800 number.

I typically search for cruises myself, then call my PVP so I can get the best cabin and location.

sounds like you have a good PVP that has actually been on a cruise.:)

Bill

They can also search for discounts you may be eligible for. For example my wife is a retired FAA employee. We sometimes get a considerable discount for that.

That's a good point, I would have never known I had a pack and play rate if it wasn't for my PVP. She called one day, I missed the call, and listened to a message telling me I have a free cruise to Alaska and multiple other sailings. For that call alone I am extremely grateful and will always use her as my PVP

• 3 months later...

One benefit of having a PVP is that they can check if there is a closet or some other bnoise making thing next to your cabin. Also can see what is above your cabin. Don't want to end up next to a Laundromat or under the disco!

How does one get a PVP and what do the letters mean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last time I had to get a new pvp (previous pvp apparently was no longer a pvp) I called and asked to speak to a pvp.

I asked a question about booking an upcoming cruise and listened to the answer with three different people.

A real question that I already knew the answer to.

Then I said that I was still thinking and needed to talk to my travel companions and would call back later.

The first was impatient.

The second had a heavy accent that I had trouble understanding.

The third was patient and articulate, so I booked through her.

I want a pvp who I can communicate well with and who knows more about booking cruises than I do.

I do my own research and then call her.

Usually I could handle it all online myself, but I like talking to a familiar human being.

And on several occasions she has been extremely helpful.

Oh, like when I had to cancel at the last minute due to illness and she walked me through exactly what I needed to cancel and to file the insurance claim.

Yes, I could have done it by myself, but I was sick and it made it so much easier.

Plus, I like dealing with the same person and hearing a familiar voice.

No, we are not best friends, but through time and bits of conversation I have learned about her grandkids and dogs and various stuff.

We have been dealing with her for about 8 years.

She calls out of the blue once or maybe twice a year.

And she has been a pvp for a long time.

A good pvp is a definite plus.

Edited by mzloolue

No they don't they are just a pain in the A>>

Edited by riclop

One benefit of having a PVP is that they can check if there is a closet or some other bnoise making thing next to your cabin. Also can see what is above your cabin. Don't want to end up next to a Laundromat or under the disco!

Actually the laundrymat is very quiet.

On my recent last minute present cruise, my PVP called me on Christmas and said he had noticed I was looking at cruises. He quoted me a rate $40 cheaper per person than I could find online even with all possible discounts online. I had been tracking prices for the previous few weeks almost every day, so I was happy to get a balcony cheaper than expected.