Type 1 Diabetic and first time on a cruise?

misshollyday

So I'm type 1 Diabetic and next week I'll be heading of to embark on my first cruise. Usually whenever I travel by plane I take a letter with me from my doctor, stating that I'm going to be carrying medication and sharps (needles) at all times. I've never actually needed to present this letter to anybody but it's made me feel better having it just in case, however last year my doctor pointed out that i really was unlikely to need such a thing, as diabetes is so common now, so I'm wondering if it's really necessary to pay the fee and to have the letter written?

Has anyone else got experience of traveling with medication/needles?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have never been asked for my letter either, but is it worth the small fee say compared to the fuss and possibly missing your ship if you did meet a jobsworth customs agent?

You are paying far more than that for your cruise anything up to several thousand depending on your cruise line, cabin choice etc.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

You will not be asked for proof of your diabetes! Bringing insulin and needles is NOT a big deal....especially in this day and age when more and more folks have diabetes.....

If you need a sharps container, you just tell them. Most cabins have dorm-style fridges which are fine for a weeks storage of insulin. Most insulins don't need to be kept cold while in use anymore. If you need a medical fridge, you can request it in advance. All cruise lines have "special needs" depts.

I have type Ii and have never brought a letter along or asked for one. The only thing I do when flying is bring along the pharmacy medication containers showing the name of the pill. The TSA has never questioned my meds either.

I too am a Type1 diabetic. I print off all medications and items needed for my medical care off my Kaiser website with the name and number of my doctor.

What I found odd was your doctor charges for a letter of your meds and such???

Heck.....I would type up my own letter with all my medical items and the name and phone number of my doctor for free...WTH?!

We travel alot and I always take a letter with me cause all it takes for 1 individual to ask questions and hold you up. I too have never been asked for it but I choose not to tempt the gods.

Even TSA doesn't flinch when the buzzer goes off becuase of my pump and I always bring needles too in my carry on just in case my pump fails. So many traveling diabetics it will most likely not be an issue! Just be prepared for any inevitability.;)

I too am a Type1 diabetic. I print off all medications and items needed for my medical care off my Kaiser website with the name and number of my doctor.

What I found odd was your doctor charges for a letter of your meds and such???

Heck.....I would type up my own letter with all my medical items and the name and phone number of my doctor for free...WTH?!

We travel alot and I always take a letter with me cause all it takes for 1 individual to ask questions and hold you up. I too have never been asked for it but I choose not to tempt the gods.

Even TSA doesn't flinch when the buzzer goes off becuase of my pump and I always bring needles too in my carry on just in case my pump fails. So many traveling diabetics it will most likely not be an issue! Just be prepared for any inevitability.;)

It depends on which Norfolk Misshollyday comes from, the U.K. Or Virgina.

In the UK although visiting a Doctor and normal healthcare is free extras like a letter for travel are charged for so the Doctor can make extra money.

Travel advice is also slightly different as to what you need.

But as others have said it depends one how risk adverse you are, I like to have a letter, it costs me £15 less than a decent bottle of wine with dinner so why not have it?

So I'm type 1 Diabetic and next week I'll be heading of to embark on my first cruise. Usually whenever I travel by plane I take a letter with me from my doctor, stating that I'm going to be carrying medication and sharps (needles) at all times. I've never actually needed to present this letter to anybody but it's made me feel better having it just in case, however last year my doctor pointed out that i really was unlikely to need such a thing, as diabetes is so common now, so I'm wondering if it's really necessary to pay the fee and to have the letter written?

Has anyone else got experience of traveling with medication/needles?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Type 2 here and cruise agent w/ 31 cruises to date..make sure you get a FRIDGE that is cold..many of current fridges on cruise ships are ROOM TEMPERATURE , not cold for your insulin...I use Victoza, which is also injectable, but not insulin...call ASAP and make sure the fridge is cold, not room temp...letters are not necessary anymore, BUT it never hurts to take it just in case some wise guy gives you a problem..hope this helps...have a great cruise!!

Big Al

only likely a good idea to carry pills and insulin with prescription bottles and box saying what it is...not only makes it easier for Customs or other government functionary but if you run out you have the right name for stuff...also carry a copy of your prescriptions for the same reason

nobody expects a letter for insulin..but if you have one from the past carry it

Have never been asked either. When I fly I bring my pharmacy pill containers, filled with meds. When I drive I just fill up my daily holders and go. Neither TSA or the cruise security has asked what was in my containers.

Have never been asked either. When I fly I bring my pharmacy pill containers, filled with meds. When I drive I just fill up my daily holders and go. Neither TSA or the cruise security has asked what was in my containers.

Me neither. Could you imagine if TSA went thru with a fine tooth comb everyones prescriptions.......the line would cross over multiple borders.

Me neither. Could you imagine if TSA went thru with a fine tooth comb everyones prescriptions.......the line would cross over multiple borders.

Just a thought. I carry prescription meds in my luggage. I was stopped once by the DEA in the baggage claim area (before customs on an international arrival from Madrid in Chicago) when the sniffer dog found something.

Turns out it was an apple I forgot about that was in my bag. (DEA watches for agriculture issues as well, at least that day in Chicago.)

I had to open all my luggage for a detail inspection of everything. In the process they found my pill box plus a small bottle of a prescribed cough syrup. Not a question of any kind, so I asked. (I tend to do that more than I should.)

The DEA agent says they are only interested in controlled substances and nothing I had was even remotely in that classification. But, in response to a question, he also said it's always a good idea to carry a prescription list for all meds brought on board, preferably prepared on the letterhead of a doctor or pharmacy.

He also said he didn't know what the rules are for other countries so that list should help a lot if an issue is raised.

I have chronic asthma. The reason I travel with a detailed list of my medications is that I may not be able to breathe well enough to tell the emergency doctor what medication I'm taking. I can hand them the laminated list if I'm in the middle of an attack. Also on that list is my emergency contact person and their phone number.

Just another thought. You never know when you're going to wind up in a hospital, and the doctors need to know things like you're type 1 diabetic, or you have asthma, or you're allergic to roses, or whatever your health issue may be.

I'm not diabetic, but reading this thread makes me want to know.., does the ship provide a sharps container for y'all??

I always bring my own, but I don't think they will provide one for you..you must bring everything...

I'm not diabetic, but reading this thread makes me want to know.., does the ship provide a sharps container for y'all??

I know that NCL had a card in the bathroom stating that if you needed a sharps container to let the steward know and they would provide. I'm sure if you check with the access/special needs desk, they can add that to the reservation.

Carrie

I also have Type I diabetes. I have traveled all over the world and have never once had anyone ask for my doctor's letter. Cruise ships as well as hotels will provide a sharps container. The cruise ship will provide a little medical fridge also.