MSC Divina or HAL Niew Amsterdam

Joal

We will be taking a New Year's cruise this December. Have been on the Niew Amsterdam twice before ( not on New Year's Day). We like HAL for different reasons, one being the crew, always polite and cheerful. The Ship is very nice, and the food has always been good.

We are undecided between the Niew Amsterdam and the MSC Divina. Never been on MSC, and some of the CC posts and comments about MSC have us somewhat concerned. On the other hand, everyone agrees the Divina is very beautiful, and the shows excellent. Has anyone experienced both ships? Would very much appreciate your input.

We have sailed on both. Granted, we had 24 days on NA, and only 3 on Divina. It was her first US cruise, and there were teething problems, most involving a very large group of travel agents who were probably boarded first, and assigned to early seating, forcing the rest of us into late seating at 9pm, not good for diabetics. But we enjoyed her and agreed she would be worth a second try. EM

I have not sailed on NA but have done a 7 night on MSC Divina. The food on Divina was absolutely the best we've ever seen! (We're at 30+ cruises with 5 different lines.) It was more Italian in scope (as to be expected) and was delicious. The buffet had everything under the sun! We also thought the shows were exceptional. One odd thing is that the theater is not designed for you to bring a drink in. Seats right next to one another, no drink holders or spaces to put an empty glass. No bartenders roving to sell drinks in the theater.

I have not sailed on NA but have done a 7 night on MSC Divina. The food on Divina was absolutely the best we've ever seen! (We're at 30+ cruises with 5 different lines.) It was more Italian in scope (as to be expected) and was delicious. The buffet had everything under the sun! We also thought the shows were exceptional. One odd thing is that the theater is not designed for you to bring a drink in. Seats right next to one another, no drink holders or spaces to put an empty glass. No bartenders roving to sell drinks in the theater.

Thank you for your input. Think we will give it a try. It will be for the New Year's sailing. After all, we will not know until we try it. Thanks again

We have sailed on both. Granted, we had 24 days on NA, and only 3 on Divina. It was her first US cruise, and there were teething problems, most involving a very large group of travel agents who were probably boarded first, and assigned to early seating, forcing the rest of us into late seating at 9pm, not good for diabetics. But we enjoyed her and agreed she would be worth a second try. EM

Thanks for your reply. Glad you like it. We are not demanding people, but some reviews are scary!

I have also been on both and I have to say, I was very happy with my Divina cruise. The ship is beautiful and the entertainment is amazing. I'd go as far as to say it's Royal Caribbean quality.

I wouldn't choose MSC for a European cruise though. Only if its on this side of the pond.

HAL is on my blacklist until they change their balcony smoking policy.

I have also been on both and I have to say, I was very happy with my Divina cruise. The ship is beautiful and the entertainment is amazing. I'd go as far as to say it's Royal Caribbean quality.

I wouldn't choose MSC for a European cruise though. Only if its on this side of the pond.

HAL is on my blacklist until they change their balcony smoking policy.

Thank you. Yes I think, everyone agrees on the beauty of the Ship, and the entertainment. Most negative comments have been about the food. We are not demanding, and do not expect gourmet food in the MDR, so I think we will be OK. In fact, with very few exceptions, we have enjoyed the food in every cruise.

Sorry to hear HAL is on your black list. We never had this problem with them. We like HAL very much, particularly the Indonesian crew. Think they are super.

Thank you. Yes I think, everyone agrees on the beauty of the Ship, and the entertainment. Most negative comments have been about the food. We are not demanding, and do not expect gourmet food in the MDR, so I think we will be OK. In fact, with very few exceptions, we have enjoyed the food in every cruise.

Sorry to hear HAL is on your black list. We never had this problem with them. We like HAL very much, particularly the Indonesian crew. Think they are super.

I thought the food was good. In fact, I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than HAL or any other mass market cruise line. It's typical banquet quality food served in an elegant atmosphere. Specific dishes aren't standing out in my mind, but I don't remember having any complaints.

As for HAL, I agree about the crew and I love their classic ships and itineraries. Unfortunately, I seem to have bad luck with getting stuck next to chain smokers and HAL is the only line still allowing it on balconies.

I thought the food was good. In fact, I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than HAL or any other mass market cruise line. It's typical banquet quality food served in an elegant atmosphere. Specific dishes aren't standing out in my mind, but I don't remember having any complaints.

As for HAL, I agree about the crew and I love their classic ships and itineraries. Unfortunately, I seem to have bad luck with getting stuck next to chain smokers and HAL is the only line still allowing it on balconies.

Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to this cruise. My main concern was the food, not that we expect gourmet food, but some posts were sort of scary.

We have been lucky with HAL Never had a problem with smokers. Guess it might be difficult to enforce non-smoking if people smoke in their balconies. Will write a review when we come back.