Tauck vs uniworld

Opschief

#1 Report Post

Old Today, 12:13 PM

Cool Cruiser

Default Tauck vs Uniworld

i'm planning a European river next year. I've been that most cruise companies actually dock they're River boats a few miles away from the destinations and bus you into the cities on the itinerary. I'm considering either Tauck or Uniworld. I haven't decided which River yet, more concerned with which of the two companies to go with. Though cost isn't the biggest concern, it does factor in. I understand both are all inclusive, any comments regarding the excursions anyone has been on with either or both companies would be helpful. Thanks

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

My sister and I took a Uniworld cruise along the Danube with my mother about ten years ago. We all really enjoyed it. Having done a Viking cruise along the Elbe the year before I thought Uniworld was better (also more expensive).

As far as I remember, we docked close enough to walk off the ship into the small towns most of the time. Even in central Budapest. It probably very much depends on your itinerary. And as it was quite a while ago, things may be different now. Hopefully someone with more recent experience will be able to help.

Beth

A good place to start is the " New to RIVER CRUISING??? START HERE!!!" link at the top of this River Cruising board. In particular, the second link in the first posting there, the "comprehensive guide," discusses all the major river cruise lines, including Tauck and Uniworld. The second posting explicitly compares Tauck, Uniworld, and a few others.

You may wish to be cautious about some replies you may well get to your question. Some folks are in love with a particular line, and view all criticisms of that line and/or praise for competitors as blasphemy.

At the end of the day, I think you won't go wrong with either Tauck or Uniworld.

Having only travelled with Uniworld, I can tell you your choice of itinerary and water levels will determine where your river cruise ship can / will dock. Nuremberg and Vienna along the Danube are two cities where you will be bussed, for sure. Nuremberg is about a 20 minute bus ride to the old town as the ship is docked in a canal in a somewhat industrial area. Vienna is a bit different. Again they provide a shuttle bus to take you to the centre of town, but it is quite scenic with all those gorgeous old stately buildings. If you are okay to DIY, Uniworld has docked about a 10 minute walk from the subway stop, and two stops later you are in the centre of the action.

In just about all the other stops from Budapest to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam to Basel you can walk into town.

Water levels are altogether another story. It all depends on the depth of the docking area as to where you can 'park ' in both high water and low water level scenarios.

Enjoy your planning!

At the end of the day, I think you won't go wrong with either Tauck or Uniworld.

I agree with that assessment.

As for being bussed into town, that is going to be totally dependent on itinerary as it can vary widely. For example, in Vienna, you will not dock in what most would consider a walkable distance into the city. The boats provide a shuttle. Same for Nuremberg, Wurzburg and others.

In some destinations the docking locations simply are not in the center, and in others they are. IMO, it is not a big deal as most bus rides are short.

Edited by caviargal

Based on our Tauck cruise in early August, everything was perfectly planned and worked like clock work.

In some cases, we docked within walkable distance... in a couple of cases, buses were used. Note in the areas where buses were used, it wasn't a matter of some "brands" had better spots than others... it was a case of the river was next to the attractions/downtown areas. In other words, your "distance" answers would be the same no matter which brand you pick on the Danube River.

While our cruise was the Tauck Family cruise, you may find my review interesting:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=512438

It would give you a glimpse into the ship, food, etc.

Here's an excerpt:

Since this was our first river cruise, we weren’t sure what to expect the interior of the ship to really be like. Of course we didn’t expect a barge with plastic fast food restaurant furniture, but we didn’t realize the ship would be as nice as it was. There was marble, etched glass, dark woods, wrought iron, brass and crystal. The look was very rich, warm and refined. Several times during the week, our ship would tie onto another ship at a dock and we would have to cross through that ship to get to land. Walking through the other ships was very interesting. Most of the other “brands” appeared modern, clean and maybe had some even had a few glitzy electronic screens in the lobby areas that we walked through. I would describe the Savor as more classy -- comfortably elegant but not stuffy.

I think the best comparison is with flying the newer long haul planes and comparing first class (Tauck) to Business class (Uniworld). For the vast majority of travelers, the additional amenities that one receives in first class is not worth paying the huge premium differential. For those where money is no object Tauck may be logical. Uniworld is a wonderful experience for the cost.

Pinotlover - With all due respect, you might wish to check current pricing of the two lines before implying that there is a "huge price differential" between Tauck and Uniworld, with Tauck being the more expensive of the two. Indeed, the quick check that I just completed for Amsterdam to Budapest cruises in September, 2016 (I chose that itinerary because it is the one that we are on with Tauck) seems to show Tauck as less dear than Uniworld in every category of cabin.

Further, several months ago, Tauck took the rather remarkable step of reducing our already-booked fare by USD 400 per person because of the strength of the dollar vs. the euro. Tauck's fares for many cruises in 2016 are lower than those for 2015, while Uniworld's are higher, despite the dramatic weakening of the euro.

Therefore, to the extent, if any, that Tauck's amenities compared to those on Uniworld are comparable to the differences between international first class and Biz, one is getting a bargain with Tauck, no?

Cheers, Fred

I'll readily admit that huge pricing swings occur. I typically book my trips 15 or so months out. In doing so, I have found that Uniworld offers of significant discounts for early booking and immediate payment provides deep discounts of 20-25% off the posted prices. This has given them significant price advantage over the other cruises such as Tauck. If one waits in the process, and those discounts disappear, I can see why the pricing could be close.

I guess the moral of the story in the discussion of pricing it is all a time capsule in general, in that cruise prices swing dramatically. This is the same as airline ticket pricing does. Today the price is this, next month it is something else. Look at all the offers we have been getting for free airfare for certain 2015 and 2016 cruises. It becomes a matter of when you look and when you book. I have friends that live outside of London, that can travel anytime, that get last minute offers both river and ocean cruises that are ridiculously cheap, as in about 100 Euro per day, the same with my brother living in Florida getting dirt cheap offers for unfilled cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. He and his wife got a 7 day cruise out of Miami, on Oceania, through his TA, for $750 each. for a cruise that left in 10 days. Guess we can say Oceania is a less expensive line than most all others based on that pricing? So, I'll readily admit that my time capsule pricing, for when I normally plan and book my own cruises, may well be different that what others see.

Pinotlover..I am like you and plan ahead so typically at least a year in advance or more. I have not been on Tauck or Uniworld yet. The reason I chose Tauck was for itinerary and timing, 300 sq. ft. cabin, dining opportunity for 2, and pre and post hotel selection. Those were the parameters for making my decision.

We had done 2 rivers cruises on another line and we did not care for it, therefore I was very critical this time when making my selection.

My review of the two lines revealed that, for most itineraries, Tauck requires pre- and post-cruise stays at locations and lodging of their choosing, along with associated expeditions in the selected locations. Uniworld, by contrast, focuses pretty much entirely on the cruise itself.

Either approach could be best for the individual traveler, of course.

Talked with several Tauck regulars on our last cruise with Uniworld. They all said the overall cruise experience was quite comparable.

My review of the two lines revealed that, for most itineraries, Tauck requires pre- and post-cruise stays at locations and lodging of their choosing, along with associated expeditions in the selected locations. Uniworld, by contrast, focuses pretty much entirely on the cruise itself.

Either approach could be best for the individual traveler, of course.

Talked with several Tauck regulars on our last cruise with Uniworld. They all said the overall cruise experience was quite comparable.

We were not required to stay in a pre or post cruise stay with Tauck...

I have only sailed with Uniworld and have two more cruises with them booked. But Tauck is also a line I'm considering and would probably be my next choice if they offered an itinerary that I wanted that Uniworld did not. If you plan on booking a suite with Uniworld on their 3 newer ships or a category 7 on one of Tauck's newer ships you will find a major difference. Uniworld's suites include butler service which is wonderful. We found the butler service really took the overall service over the top. The butlers provided included laudry service, room service, special dinner, etc...In 2016 Unworld will expand butler service to suites on all their ships that sail Europe. With that said I think Tauck would be a wonderful experiece as well. But for now the Butler service and returning guests credit and benefits keeps me with Uniworld. As others have said I don't think you can go wrong with either line.