LIVE - Royal Princess - 10/11/15 to 10/31/15

KruzPrincess

Back again.

I forgot to answer the Perry Grant question before, so I jumped back on. So far, he has played every night. The times aren't set. It kind of depends on what else is happening in the Piazza each night. Sometimes, he plays 8 to 9 and 10 to late. Sometimes he just plays 10 to late. You will see his schedule in the Patter everyday, so you can plan for it. Right now, there is a steel band playing in the Piazza. I expect he'll start his show after that.

Tonight I saw a really charming movie on MUTS. It's a Canadian picture called The Grand Seduction. I really enjoyed it. Many people were laughing throughout. Tomorrow, will be football on MUTS. BTW, they also have the baseball games on the TV and sometimes in Princess LIVE.

Tonight was Italian night in the MDR and buffet. Tomorrow night is my favorite buffet specialty night: Bavarian Night. I call it WURST night. LOL. They are calling it Bavarian BIERFEST Night. I love the spaetzle.

Good night.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I was on the Royal Princess that was the first cruise ship to call on Dominica on October 5. I had booked a tour with Nature Isle Explorers and it went very well.

Yes, the damage was quite obvious in many places, and there was lots of visible destruction. We drove right by the yellow church and across the bridge it is next to in the youtube video. Obviously, some bridges are open and others are impassible.

We were able to see all the tourist areas planned -- the Champagne Reef, Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, the Botanical gardens and the overlook of the city. All were very beautiful. I had been to Dominica about 6 years ago, and the beautiful, unspoiled nature of the island is easy to see wherever you go.

Several of the roads around the island -particularly those by rivers - are somewhat washed away, but I never felt unsafe on them. You could see exposed water pipes along roads and banks that had washed away. We passed several road crews doing repair work.

There are major and minor landslides that are visible most places we went. They have cleared the roads and are continuing to improve road conditions. The worst damage I saw to the sights we visited was at Trafalgar Falls. The scenic pools below the falls have been destroyed by massive rock boulder avalanches, so it's just a jumble of boulders below them but the falls are still there, and the scenic rain forest you walk through to get there is still just as beautiful.

The ship had a lot of tours and I believe they all went off without a hitch as well, as I didn't hear a single complaint from other passengers.

If you plan on going to Dominica, I would advise you to continue those plans. The people are warm and welcoming (well, other than the folks over-zealously hawking their tours and taxis just as you exit the port area, but isn't it that way everywhere?)

Obviously, they need the tourism dollars, but you will not be walking into devastation. You will learn things, see things and experience things you can't learn on any other island.

I hope this information is helpful! :-)

KruzPrincess: Thanks for letting us tag along with you on your cruise. You can't tolerate the heat because you're from Minnesota! Ha! If you would be so kind to post your patters from this cruise, I would really appreciate it. We are doing this same cruise in January and reading the Patters makes the time go by faster.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your cruise(s).

Farmgirl63

South Dakota

Thinking of taking an upsell to a mini suite. Regarding the bathroom, besides a tub, is the shower larger than other cabins? What amenities are included with the mini suite, that are different from a balcony cabin? I realize, the cabin is larger & has a couch. 1st time considering a mini suite. Thanks.

Thinking of taking an upsell to a mini suite. Regarding the bathroom, besides a tub, is the shower larger than other cabins? What amenities are included with the mini suite, that are different from a balcony cabin? I realize, the cabin is larger & has a couch. 1st time considering a mini suite. Thanks.

Hi,

We are on the same cruise as you, I believe, Nov. 30.

We took a mini-suite upsell one time although on a different ship. We had 2 TVs, one facing the bed, the other towards the couch. It had a coffee table in front of the couch also. The tub, if I remember it correctly, was full size. We loved it. Also the pillows were bigger. I do not know about the Royal though. Maybe someone that has had this cabin on her will respond.

See you on Nov. 30th or on Herod's Tour.

Joan

Make sure to go to Crooner's instead of the Piazza (atrium to you).

To me, the Piazza is the whole central area, but indeed the Piazza may be considered the lower level (deck 5). Crooners is on deck 7 of the Piazza center area. I went to Crooners about a half hour before Perry started the night before last and every seat in Crooners was filled. Make sure you get there early. You can hear him from other areas, but if you want to see him up close...get there early.

Added: BTW, some ships have atriums in the center and the newer ships call it the Piazza. I may interchange those terms without thinking. On the Royal Princess it is called the Piazza.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Good day!

Yesterday was St. Thomas and I took the day off from doing much of anything. It was lovely. :)

Today is a sea day and I stopped by a jewelry seminar and didn't win anything!

Tonight is formal night and the big balloon drop in the PIAZZA. Today, they have costumes from the shows on display in the Piazza and cast members are there to answer questions.

To the person (I'm sorry I don't remember your screen name) who asked about Curtis Stone food. I finally had a opportunity to ask and the person didn't have a clue what I was talking about. She was sure I meant Norman Love. She said if it's a new celebrity chef they don't know anything yet. Of course, maybe the head chef knows more, but I haven't seen him to ask.

I have to say one of the things that I get a kick out of is the horn that plays the Love Boat theme. It makes me smile every single time. We were in port in St. Kitts with the Carnival Dream. At sailaway, the Royal played the theme song and everyone outside on the Dream clapped and cheered. It was a hoot. The Dream sounded their horn back and we played the theme song again. Happened a couple times. Loved it.

We were at Crown Bay in St. Thomas yesterday. It was a Sunday, so we were told shops in town would close early, but Crown Bay would remain open later. I didn't really pay attention, but if you are coming on a Sunday you may want to take this into consideration. Crown Bay was dead for activity. I miss being at Havensight.

The difference between the balcony and mini is important for me, but may not be for others. I really love the couch. This one is like 6 feet long and pretty comfy. Other ships have a love seat. For me, I like sitting upright and not lounging in bed while I watch TV. Shorter cruise in a balcony is fine for me, but I love a mini for a long cruise. The bathroom is larger and has a tub. I will post pictures of the cabin when I get home. You do get a larger table and footstools on the balcony of a mini. The balconies are so small, though, that it doesn't make a huge difference.

I will bring my Patters home with me to answer questions, but I do not have a scanner to post them. Also, I will post the names of shows and movies when I get home. More info will follow the cruise.

That's it for today!

The shower is in the full size tub. It is larger than showers in standard cabins.:)

Hey everyone.

Today is turnaround day and we are in Fort Lauderdale. I'm going to try to do some posting from my phone to save minutes. Sorry that my signature will post, but I don't know how to keep it from posting from my phone.

It took less than an hour to get off the ship, go through customs and get back on. Very smooth

After I got on I was going to try to take some pictures of open cabins. Funny thing....there were TA's touring the ship and I joined them. Princess had all cabin types open and marked on Riviera, so I went around and got picture of all of them. Hopefully I'll be able to sort them when I get home. There is a big difference between standard balcony and mini. I'm loving my cabin.

Everyone

I'm doing a couple separate posts so I don't lose something on my phone after typing a lot.

We missed Princess Cay yesterday. It was too windy to tender. It was a very windy day. The ceiling panels on the aft lido outdoor area were vibrating and making noise. Looked like they would come down.

Most traveled on my first 10 day cruise was 842 days.

Last night Perry Grant did a cabaret show in the Vista Lounge. 2 shows.

I went to dinner for formal night in the MDR and had lobster. Food was good. I had a nice time. Last night was American night.

Want to mention that Sabatini's has a dress code sign that states dress should match the dress for the MDR...meaning formal on formal night.

Everyone

They have added spooky movies for Halloween to the on demand movie selections.

Laundry: turnaround has been about 36 hours for Elite perk laundry. It's faster than I expected. I usually get it out around 10am and it's come back by 9pm the next day. I also did some delicates in the self serve laundry and you have to buy a token by swiping your cruise card. The machines so not take quarters. I washed and no dryers were available, so I hung my things in the bathroom!! It worked.

I have a new roll call to look forward to!!

That's it for now.

Forgot to mention the Curtis Stone menu again. I printed the info and took it back to the dining room person who said she didn't know what I was talking about. She read it and said she knew about it (same person half hour later!!!) and she didn't have a date it would start. The announcement I printed, tho, said roll out by end of year. First ship would be Golden, I believe. I won't copy the details here, but I'm sure you can find it in the website.

Want to mention that Sabatini's has a dress code sign that states dress should match the dress for the MDR...meaning formal on formal night.

Oh boy, that will get some folks agitated.

I'm watching the ship on Webcam. I see you're looking up the back end of the Oasis - what a monster. Also watched the Royal leave 10 days ago. Can't wait to be on it myself in March.

Wow, you may have just dropped a bombshell there! LOL! I agree with previous poster - this might get some folks really riled up if that is truly a new policy. Personally, we dress formally on those nights regardless of whether we were dining in MDR or specialty, but I know for some that's a deal breaker. I think it makes perfect sense, since Sabatinis is supposed to actually be a more "upscale" experience than MDR.

Thanks for the updates! Enjoy your cruise!

Wow, you may have just dropped a bombshell there! LOL! I agree with previous poster - this might get some folks really riled up if that is truly a new policy. Personally, we dress formally on those nights regardless of whether we were dining in MDR or specialty, but I know for some that's a deal breaker. I think it makes perfect sense, since Sabatinis is supposed to actually be a more "upscale" experience than MDR.

Thanks for the updates! Enjoy your cruise!

Ditto.

You could make the same argument about the Crown but for sure many folks apparently choose the CG or Sab's as an alternative on formal night to avoid the dress up.

Ditto.

You could make the same argument about the Crown but for sure many folks apparently choose the CG or Sab's as an alternative on formal night to avoid the dress up.

I will need to double check if the CG has changed policy. Stayed tuned. Now, whether they enforce is another thing. I'll let you all know if I find out more.

Getting ready to go to sail away meet & greet. Will see if anyone shows!!

EVERYONE:

Just wanted to jump back on with a clarification before people get upset. I went to the Crown Grill and they confirmed that formal night dining in CG is Smart Casual. I went to Sabatini's and they still have the sign about Formal Night dress code, but when I asked about it the gentleman told me that it's still Smart Casual. He said they would like it to be dressier, but they don't enforce anything. They said they don't want sloppy jeans, shorts, etc. So, sorry to pass on misinformation, but nothing has changed. Smart Casual in specialty restaurants on formal night is still in place.

Good night all.

EVERYONE:

Just wanted to jump back on with a clarification before people get upset. I went to the Crown Grill and they confirmed that formal night dining in CG is Smart Casual. I went to Sabatini's and they still have the sign about Formal Night dress code, but when I asked about it the gentleman told me that it's still Smart Casual. He said they would like it to be dressier, but they don't enforce anything. They said they don't want sloppy jeans, shorts, etc. So, sorry to pass on misinformation, but nothing has changed. Smart Casual in specialty restaurants on formal night is still in place.

Good night all.

Phew. That should stop the CC board from exploding :D.

Enjoy your cruise!