Africa & Silversea: Upcoming Cloud, Other Sailings??

TLCOhio

We are now at less than three months till we head to Cape Town and doing our South Africa to Mozambique cruise on the Silver Cloud, plus then our time for Victoria Falls. AND, then three different safari camps in Botswana as a part of overall adventure escape from the Midwest winter cold in late January and February 2016.

From the Los Angeles Times Nov. 3, they have this headline: "Best country in the world? Botswana, says Lonely Planet" with these highlights: "When you think of places you'd like to visit next year, does Botswana pop to the top of your list? It did for Lonely Planet. It also ranked Botswana as the 'it' country, calling it 'invigoratingly wild.' "

From the Independent newspaper in London/UK, they noted: "The land-locked African country, which will celebrate 50 years of independence next year, is known for its rare combination of desert and delta, as well as its vast array of wildlife. A total of 17 per cent of the country is dedicated to national parks and in 2014 the Okavango Delta became Unesco’s 1,000th World Heritage Site."

Lots of newspapers and others played up these results and it certainly helps building up our excitement for visiting this areas of the world, especially being in Botswana that has placed its priority on quality, ecco-tourism. Their long-term plan is to not want too much development and/or over use of these key, fragile areas with their scenic/wildlife wonders.

Their LP publication also named Transylvania in Romania as the best region and Kotor, Montenegro, as the best city. They noted that if you are looking to stretch your dollar on your vacation, Lonely Planet gave their top recommendations as best for value as: 1. Estonia. 2. Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi in Vietnam. 3. East Africa. Lots of very good options for future travel!!

Full stories at:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/california/la-trb-lonely-planet-2016-travel-20151101-story.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/botswana-tops-lonely-planets-list-of-best-places-to-visit-in-2016-a6710751.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 31,963 views for these postings.

From the Telegraph newspaper in London/UK yesterday, they have this headline: "25 reasons to visit South Africa right now". The sub-head notes: "With the pound hitting an all-time high against the rand, it has never been cheaper to visit South Africa. But there's more to the country than good value" This profile offers lots of ideas, suggestions, pictures, etc., for reasons as to why people should be visiting this nation, Cape Town, etc.

This in-depth listing makes things there seem so wonderful. Glad that we are scheduled to depart Jan. 26 and arrive in Cape Town Jan. 28. It does take some time and patience for getting there. Seems, however, that it will be worth it, right?

Among the reasons cited are: "As Britain prepares for winter – with predictions this week that we’re facing three months of storms – the southern hemisphere is enjoying the start of summer. " It gets cold in the midwest of our country and we like a plan to go south at this time of the year.

This story makes this bold statement: "Cape Town is the world’s best city!" They cite: "So say Telegraph Travel readers. 'You really can’t overstate the case for visiting Cape Town,' says Pippa de Bruyn, a resident of the city and author of our expert guide. 'First, there’s the in-your-face beauty of a craggy mountain range that drops precipitously into a glittering sea, its flanks carpeted in green. Then there’s the pristine white beaches lapped by – it must be said – a chilly Atlantic, their curves defined by giant granite boulders to bake on, and burbling mountain streams in dappled forests.' "

Below are five different South Africa pictures that I pulled up from the Bing website. The pictures tied in with what posted on this story that helped inspire me to added some visuals for this CC Board posting. After our early 2016 visit, I will have many more pictures to share on these CC Boards.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africaandindianocean/southafrica/11988578/25-reasons-to-visit-South-Africa-right-now.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 188,864 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is an amazing view from the Bing website selection that seems to sum up the drama in and around Cape Town with its Table Mountain, the coastal areas, their Cable Car ride/views, etc. Also below is a night shot of their main harbor/shopping/dining areas, etc.:

Nov2015PixsA6%201_zpsl9up5uci.jpg

Nov2015PixsA9_zps4gjvkb6d.jpg

Nov2015PixsA8%201_zpsib4hoez7.jpg

This London newspaper profile had a nice picture about the penguins at Boulders Beach south of Cape Town. Inspiring and fun??!! Like this cute picture from Bing? Visiting here and seeing these penguins is on our schedule. The second shows an interesting elephant action view. Looking forward to seeing lots of great wildlife in South Africa, including the Big Five!:

Nov2015PixsA5%201_zpsf2rxcyes.jpg

Nov2015PixsA7%201_zpsire8v6qj.jpg

Does anyone know who might be the CD and HD for the upcoming December Cloud sailings in Africa?

On another CC board this above question was asked. Thought I would share here that starting Dec. 20 at Mombasa, Kenya, Allan King will be getting on the Silver Cloud for three months as the Cruise Director. Remember Allen? See below for a visual of him from earlier this year when we did the Amazon River and Caribbean with him and the fine Silver Cloud staff.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,002 views.

Here is Cruise Director Allen King during our Amazon River cruise earlier this year. Such a super pro, fun jokes, wonderful spirit, always on the go, friendly, etc. This visual gives a little sampling for the Scottish Kilt that he was proudly wearing one evening.:

SCSeaDaysA41_zpsvr35ffpn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From the London/UK Telegraph newspaper earlier this month, they have this headline: "New Zealand ahead in battle to be the world's best country" with these highlights: "More than 20,000 have already voted in Telegraph Travel's annual awards - but which country do you think is the greatest on Earth? There are 14 categories in all, each voted for by readers, but perhaps the most prestigious is the award for the world's best country."

South Africa is, so far, running in third place behind New Zealand and Maldives. Also in the top ten, in order after South Africa are: Namibia, Japan, Australia, Burma, Tanzania, Botswana and Mauritius. In their poll for the best city in the world, Cape Town has been the top winner for the past three years among their readers.

Agree from our early 2014 experiences that both New Zealand and Australia merit being in the Top Ten. Looking forward to checking out for the first time both South Africa and Botswana in just two months.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/australiaandpacific/newzealand/12000386/New-Zealand-ahead-in-battle-to-be-the-worlds-best-country.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,726 views for this posting.

Found out yesterday who will be the guest lecturer for our Feb. 2-12, 2016, Silver Cloud, ten-day sailing. My guess is this individual will also be doing some other sailings while the Silversea ship is in this part of the world.

His name is Rob Prentis. As s a guest lecturer, he is a fifth generation South African. He has majors in English and History from the University of South Africa and post graduate qualifications from the University of Cape Town. Rob taught English literature and history for some 40 years and was a school headmaster for 25 years. He has experienced life in South African over the past 65 years. This includes from the days of segregation to the birth of a free nation. He views education at the forefront of building this new nation. Rob started his own company, Edgeworld Tours, six years ago and has done programs with many groups, including for National Geographic.

It will be nice to have traveling with us an expert to answer questions, do programs and guide us in understand this unique part of the world.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 55,420 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Another totally pointless poll Terry.I certainly loved travelling to Namibia,Burma and Botswana but I would never live in those countries.So the poll would make sense as the most enjoyable country to travel in but "World's Best".Hardly.

Found out yesterday who will be the guest lecturer for our Feb. 2-12, 2016, Silver Cloud, ten-day sailing. My guess is this individual will also be doing some other sailings while the Silversea ship is in this part of the world.

His name is Rob Prentis. As s a guest lecturer, he is a fifth generation South African. He has majors in English and History from the University of South Africa and post graduate qualifications from the University of Cape Town. Rob taught English literature and history for some 40 years and was a school headmaster for 25 years. He has experienced life in South African over the past 65 years. This includes from the days of segregation to the birth of a free nation. He views education at the forefront of building this new nation. Rob started his own company, Edgeworld Tours, six years ago and has done programs with many groups, including for National Geographic.

It will be nice to have traveling with us an expert to answer questions, do programs and guide us in understand this unique part of the world.

Terry!! I knew that this guy sounded familiar from your description! Had to go way back on the Cooler for this previous story...

In East London we had a great tour! Our tour guide was a retired headmaster at the local primary school. It was supposed to be a half-day (morning) visit to Khaya le Bantu village, but there was a problem of some sort or another - I think the village was overbooked - and we ended up having to switch the tour to the afternoon. No problem - he took us around the city in the morning for an impromptu city highlights tour! We made a number of stops along the way, including a stop at his school where we met some of the kids.

Robert Prentis was our tour guide that day in East London! Super nice fellow, so excited to share his city and his country with us that day. I think he will be a great guest lecturer - lucky you!

You can tell him how much we enjoyed our impromptu tour with him that day. Doubt he'll remember but you never know. Here are a few pictures from that day. The school where he was Headmaster is called Hudson Park Primary School, and it is beautiful! Here is the main entrance, and the atrium within:

DSC_10K_8008.JPGIMG_0924.JPG

Here he has all of the kids lining up to sing for us. Rob is the man at the far left, facing the edge of the picture, with grey hair...I think he was collaring a few stragglers! When we were there almost 5 years ago, he hadn't been retired for long. You could clearly see that the kids knew who he was, and he knew them by name, and there was a great mutual respect there. When he told them to line up and sing for us, that was exactly what happened!

DSC_10K_8011.JPG

Here is some of the artwork that decorates the school:

DSC_10K_8013.JPG

And a photo of an exhibit about the school's history. Even though it won't show up clearly in this small picture, Rob's picture is in the middle column of the big montage - one row up from the bottom, right hand picture. His predecessor is in the left hand picture.

DSC_10K_8012.JPG

So cool that he's still doing things with SS! I hope you enjoy him as much as we did!

Terry ,what plans do you have for Cape Town.

Wine country?

Not sure if you have time but if you do try to get out to Robben Island. A lot of history about Nelson Mandela and the other Political Prisoners. If you do, purchase tickets on line.

Keith

Terry!! I knew that this guy sounded familiar from your description! Had to go way back on the Cooler for this previous story...Robert Prentis was our tour guide that day in East London! Super nice fellow, so excited to share his city and his country with us that day. I think he will be a great guest lecturer - lucky you! You can tell him how much we enjoyed our impromptu tour with him that day. Doubt he'll remember but you never know. So cool that he's still doing things with SS! I hope you enjoy him as much as we did!

Keith1010: Terry ' date='what plans do you have for Cape Town. Wine country? Not sure if you have time but if you do try to get out to [b']Robben Island[/b]. A lot of history about Nelson Mandela and the other Political Prisoners. If you do, purchase tickets on line. Keith

Appreciate these helpful follow-ups from both JP and Keith.

I have sent an e-mail to Rob Prentis and will share with him your wonderful experiences in East London with him. It seems that his charming personality and knowledge of this South African history will be very beneficial for us during our cruise.

On Keith's excellent suggestions, we have a few things lined up during our five days there in Cape Town including two different private tours that would include: One day seeing the new and old city, experiencing various different cultures and architectural designs, cable car up Table Mountain, visiting Langa as township settlement to sample the history of apartheid at Cape Town’s oldest township. On another day, we would do a private Cape Peninsula Tour. This would include traveling along Chapman’s Peak Drive, a walk through the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, viewing the historical lighthouses, back along the False Bay to Simon’s Town to view the African Penguins and visiting Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens.

On Robben Island, I have received some very mixed comments from people who have been there. Many say it is super important and interesting. Know all about its unique history there!! BUT, others have told me that things on this trip/tour are rushed and that you really do not get the interaction there with the past prisoners there as promised. Still considering that potential. Added info and insights??

With the wine options nearby to Cape Town, we have heard great things, too. BUT, we have visited lots of wine places in California, New Zealand, France, Italy and Germany. Still considering these options and potentials. Understanding that the mix of Dutch and British architecture styles, plus the beautiful settings, makes things very worthwhile.

As Keith would say, it is good to have so many nice options!! Glad we have five days here rather than only a couple days in high-rated Cape Town.

Added reactions, views, tips, suggestions??

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,932 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry, we've been to Cape Town several times.

When we went to Robben Island there was a guide who we interacted with who was a political prisoner. This was a few years ago.

If you don't have time then skip the wine tour because you need a full day for it. But if you have the time it was quite impressive. This last time around we not only went to Stellenbosch but also to Paarl, and Franschhoek valley. The vineyards were great and the towns very special.

For some of your touring of Cape Town and even the nearby area I might have done it with HOHO bus. There have two different lines and it actually is great.

Keith

I agree with Duct Tape, the wine country is superb in all respects and well worth visiting.

Not only is the scenery stunning and the ambiance of the wineries beautifiul, but the wine is excellent, as well.

I would recommend taking a driver and as a frequent visitor to Cape Town from the UK, these are some of my favourite wineries

In the Stellenbosch area:-

Waterford, http://www.waterfordestate.co.za

Tokara, http://www.tokara.co.za

Rustenberg http://www.rustenberg.co.za

Thelema, http://www.thelema.co.za/range/thelema

Hidden Valley - great for lunch with a superb view http://www.hiddenvalley.co.za

On the way to Franschoek:- Boschendal - go for their classic picnic as another option for lunch.

http://www.boschendal.com/eat-and-drink/picnics

Franschoek:- Le Petit Ferme - another lunch recommendation with a wonderful view.http://www.lapetiteferme.co.za

Somerset West:- Vergellen http://www.vergelegen.co.za - another good lunch venue.

You might be advised to book ahead as they can get busy in season.

We are boarding the Cloud on the 22nd of Feb, so reports from the earlier cruises will be most welcome.

Boarding Cloud in under a week now. I'll try to post info for Terry and others about port details etc. Thanks for the info on the CD.

Keith1010: Duct Tapes post reminded me to post some photos. Terry' date=' one of our wine visits was with a wine maker. I too have been to many vineyard around the world. [b']Love this area.[/b] Keith

Banjar: I agree with Duct Tape' date=' the wine country is [b']superb in all respects[/b] and well worth visiting. Not only is the scenery stunning and the ambiance of the wineries beautifiul, but the wine is excellent, as well. I would recommend taking a driver and as a frequent visitor to Cape Town from the UK, these are some of my favourite wineries

duct tape: The South Africa vineyards are some of the most beautiful in the world with great restaurants. IMHO Robben Island is a must.

Keith1010: Terry' date=' we've been to Cape Town several times. When we went to Robben Island there was a [b']guide who we interacted with who was a political prisoner[/b]. This was a few years ago. If you don't have time then skip the wine tour because you need a full day for it. But if you have the time it was quite impressive. This last time around we not only went to Stellenbosch but also to Paarl, and Franschhoek valley. The vineyards were great and the towns very special. For some of your touring of Cape Town and even the nearby area I might have done it with HOHO bus. There have two different lines and it actually is great. Keith

Appreciate all of these various comments, experiences, details, pictures, etc., from Keith, duct tape, etc. Very informative and helpful!!! We will continue to talk with people who have been there, weigh our options, etc. Fortunately, we have five days in Cape Town, allowing lots of flexibility to make various things happen and sample a nice/wide variety of the wonderful options that are there. Keep it coming!!

Looking forward to hearing more from Critically Cruising as and after you are on the Silver Cloud for in and around South Africa, etc. Those insights will be very interesting. Don't be shy! Share as much as possible.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,495 views.

Also consider Tokara for the incredible views. They have a very nice restaurant which can be a great lunch stop.

Agree wholeheartedly with Vergelegan and Boeschendal. We visited then and enjoyed...

Edited by jpalbny

The actual vineyards that we saw and places that we tasted wine were some of the best I have ever been to in terms of the beauty and overall ambience.

We find that it's great to visit places around the world because while there are similarities there are many differences. In fact, just tasted wine a few weeks ago in the Texas Hill Country and was quite impressed. The key is to do this with a private tour and do leave the places up to the guide. Terry, those towns that we visited were stunning too.

The challenge is you can spend a couple of weeks in Cape Town just like any city. So, in the end, figure out what works best for you both.

The botanical gardens are another beauty and you can spend a lot of time there.

Terry, have a fall back plan for table mountain. Some times it has to close due to winds and sometimes the visibility is poor. You just never know.

Keith

Does anybody know who the Captain will be in March from Cape Town up to Barcelona please?

I'm I missing something; What could be so important to find out who is driving the ship. I can see the crew doing the laundry would be nice to know. Or knowing the sous Chef would help you decide where you want to eat. But the driver of the ship, really... Can't think of any one ever asking who the hotel director is when checking into the Four Seasons Hotel chain...

Leaving in a few days for Nairobi to connect to the Cloud later this month. I guess I should call Emirates Air and find out the captain's name before I get on this massive Airbus A380. Does anybody know?

The actual vineyards that we saw and places that we tasted wine were some of the best I have ever been to in terms of the beauty and overall ambience. We find that it's great to visit places around the world because while there are similarities there are many differences. In fact, just tasted wine a few weeks ago in the Texas Hill Country and was quite impressed. The key is to do this with a private tour and do leave the places up to the guide. Terry, those towns that we visited were stunning too. The challenge is you can spend a couple of weeks in Cape Town just like any city. So, in the end, figure out what works best for you both. The botanical gardens are another beauty and you can spend a lot of time there. Terry, have a fall back plan for table mountain. Some times it has to close due to winds and sometimes the visibility is poor. You just never know. Keith

swindy: Personally I think the personality of the Captain makes a big difference to the "feel" of a cruise. I am hoping it is Captain Palmieri as he is often the Captain for the South Africa cruises.

carefree cruise: What could be so important to find out who is driving the ship. I can see the crew doing the laundry would be nice to know. Or knowing the sous Chef would help you decide where you want to eat. But the driver of the ship' date=' really... Can't think of any one ever asking who the hotel director is when checking into the Four Seasons Hotel chain... Leaving in a few days for Nairobi to connect to the Cloud later this month. [/quote']

Appreciate these many added notes/comments of wisdom from the ever-smart Keith. Yes, we will be flexible to consider the weather in doing some of our options in and around Cape Town on the various days, make schedule adjustments as needed, etc. These added details on their nearby wine areas does sound very interesting and attractive. Great, as Keith would say, to have so many good options and potentials.

On the ship Captain, that person is doing much more than "driving the ship". As we have experienced on two different sailings with a smaller ship such as the Silver Cloud, the Captain "sets the tone" and leads by example. Especially on our most recent Amazon River-Caribbean cruise on the Silver Cloud, our Captain was very visible and active, checking on the smallest details, staying on top of the operations, etc. It was impressive to observe his excellent leadership. That makes a tangible difference with the staff and for us as customers!!

Good luck to carefree cruise in making your final arrangement for your upcoming Africa sailing adventure, etc. Looking forward to hear more in the future, what you enjoyed most, tips and secrets for us, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 127,981 views for this posting.