Upgrades vs Upselling

ChrisB123

I know friends that got a visit from the "upsell" fairy a few weeks ago for their Mexican Riviera cruise. $400pp for a suite...... Thanks, but no thanks.

Same fairy visited a friend of mine for her South Pacific cruise on the Golden out of Sydney - 10 nights $400pp from a premium balcony to a mini suite. Not sure if it's worth it.

I think most of the Upgrades are to a cabin of the same type, but in a higher category. There is no charge for these.

Upsells are usually to a better type cabin, ie from an inside to an ocean view. There is a charge for these.

Princess marketing and yield management have been focusing on upsells rather than free upgrades. They are even letting cabins go empty. This the strategy for the future however long it lasts. Expect an offer to pay for that upgrade although there might still be some free upgrades.

Edited by Pam in CA

So true, on our 16 cruises with Princess we had 3 times a free upgrade from OOV to balcony, all to the top deck forward (Riviera or Aloha).

This was the first time they offered the upsell and because it was to Caribe deck we took it.

Theo

funny I came across this thread, I got a call from the upsell fairy today, we are booked in a deluxe balcony guaranteed (something I never do, but the deal was to good to pass up) Princess offered us the chance to pay to go into a mini suite, which would have been the exact same cost as booking one now figuring in what we paid for the balcony, heck of a deal, i declined.

I thought the whole idea was freeing up the less expensive rooms (thus, upgrading those already in one) which would make more room and more $$? Thanks for the info Pam. Is this just an experiment or has it and will it be standard now?

To put these upsell offer into better perspective, it helps to post the length of your cruise and if the offer amount is per person, or cabin total. A $299 upsell on a 4 day cruise is a huge difference than a 14 day voyage.