Snorkelling - which beach

champagne lover

I know this has been asked before, but perhaps in a different way this time. When there in November we are doing a private taxi tour first and will get dropped at the beach about 11.30. We are looking for a beach with chair (with still some available late morning), good snorkeling from the beach and a place for a snack lunch. Should it be Coki, Sapphire or Secret Harbour? Votes please !

There are 5 ships in port that day with well over 16,000 passengers.

As a former St Thomas resident, I would, and will, avoid Coki. Sapphire is my favorite beach for a little bit of everything, but we are stopping at Secret Harbour after the botanical gardens & tour.

f you want more info, e-mail me. See you on board!

For a midday beach stop where there will stil be plenty of lounges, snorkel and other rentals, and even natural shade it's Sapphire, no question, especially on a busier day. Secret Harbor has limited lounges and umbrellas and space as compared to Sapphire and if you're not there early on a busy day you may be out of luck. You can reserve lounges and other rentals ahead of time at aadivers at SH, but their cancellation policy is stiff if you don't make it there. Coki will still have lounges but it will be a mob scene there...

Sapphire has room for more people but rarely gets that many because the drivers suggest Coki and Magens.

Edited by blue_water

Sapphire is less congested in the water (with people) and very good snorkeling along the reef, and you may spot a sea turtle or ray in the seagrass. A nicer snorkeling experience for most but it's a matter of preference. You may like Coki better. You could visit Coki first then taxi to Sapphire and try both, short taxi shouldn't cost more than $5pp...

Edited by blue_water

Thanks O2B. Was hoping there would be taxis there so we can go back when we feel like it, rather than having to have a set pick-up time. Also, I'm wondering how reliable they are to come back.

Does anyone know if one of the restaurants or bars there will call one for you?

We are thinking about Sapphire also. Does anyone know if there are taxis waiting there to get back to the ship? We won't have working phones there and we've never been there so getting back is always a concern.

You likely will have phone service. I even get great service on my cheap Tracfone.