Another thing from the past

CSRAJ81

I remember horse racing on several of our earlier cruises. We began cruising in 2001. There were wooden horses with a number and color on them. Each horse had one passenger who was responsible to move the horse with each spin of the wheel or roll of the dice. I really can't remember how the number was chosen. When the number was revealed, the passenger moved their horse forward on the "track". The horse who reached the finish line first won and all those passengers who purchased that number ticket won. The money pool was split between the winners of the race. All this took place on the pool deck. It was a fun way to gamble.

I believe i did this on Princess a couple of years ago

Bring back the horse races! Ah, I still remember Engine Ed and the good time we all had onboard! ...Although...was EE the guy or the horse?

As a disclaimer...the black and white dress was passed on to a cruise critic member on the fashion boards many years later. I wonder if she is still a size 8...

LOL,

Coka:D

image.jpg.e7a2820982830d801d1f354f3a44538d.jpg

Another thing taken away from the past, they used to have the midnight buffet that was taken away and "replaced" with the blue lagoon which is great, but now i understand there is no more lobster :mad: For what we pay you would think a small lobster tail can be found! Even room service was added a charge from what i read :eek: Correct me if im wrong:confused:

And hotels used to have the "sanitized for your protection" band on the toilet seat.

That's gone too. Things change. No reason to live in the past. They also had skeet shooting before 9/11.

on my first cruise a million years ago I bid and won a horse to move through the race. we had to dress up the 'horse' too and we got prizes for the best dressed horse.

It was a lot of fun... same cruise is where I experienced my first midnight buffet...

Great stuff

Used to get those plastic shower caps, shoe polish cloth, and small notepad with a pen in our NCL cabins, not too long ago ... Dawn & Sea, then.

We still (selectively) collect combs, shoe horns, toothbrush & paste, dental floss, Q-tips, sewing kit, disposable slippers, razor & shaving cream, hand lotion, and, of course, shampoo & conditioner, etc. from our stays abroad ... mostly standard provisioning items traveling in tourist/business class hotels, not all of them deluxe or fancy - in "ordinary" accommodations - no suites. Almost all of them provided us with 2 comp'd 16 oz. or 20 oz. bottled water daily at no "extra" charge (well, it's built into the rates/charges) - one property rated solidly 4.5 stars on Trip******** has 2 mini-pineapple cake, sealed & wrapped inside a nice box on the coffee table (now, that's a nice touch over those mini "mints")

Back on cruising ... how expectations have changed on what's included & not, and, what's optional.

Midnight buffet ended shortly after I started cruising . But one thing i do miss is the price of drinks were not that bad and you didnt sweat seeing your tab at the end of the trip. Beers and some mixed drinks were like 3.50. I just miss the real steaks and shirmp in the main dinning room for food item. I dislike all the new dishes like fried chicken or some sorry looking piece of salmon or chicken breast with some weird garlic salty sauce on it.

Midnight buffet ended shortly after I started cruising . But one thing i do miss is the price of drinks were not that bad and you didnt sweat seeing your tab at the end of the trip. Beers and some mixed drinks were like 3.50. I just miss the real steaks and shirmp in the main dinning room for food item. I dislike all the new dishes like fried chicken or some sorry looking piece of salmon or chicken breast with some weird garlic salty sauce on it.

Chicken pot pie aint doing it for you?

On a sea day on the Jewel in 2010 we experienced the tail end of a hurricane (Isaac?) coming back down from Nova Scotia. The sun was out but it was still very blowy and bumpy, and they were trying to keep us all indoors. So they held one of those horse races in one of the big lounges (perhaps the Spinnaker?)