Victory vs Sunshine. 2.0 upgrades?

cruisenewbie79

Hi All,

I’m faced with a dilemma and I am so indecisive so I have come here seeking help. My dilemma is this: I’ve been so excited to take my first cruise that I booked the first great deal I came across. I booked the Carnival Victory, 5 night Bahamas in May.

But now I have discovered CC and I have literally spent the last week obsessed with reading reviews and forums. I’ve learned that the amenities from ship to ship within the same cruise line differ greatly. I learned about 2.0 upgrades!

I’ll be traveling with the DD16. We want to be those shipmates that you laugh at because we are standing around with your mouths hanging open in awe of all the ship has to offer.

So, I found another cruise on the Carnival Sunshine -same 5 night Bahamas itinerary for April. This ship is slightly more expensive ($100 total) plus we will be charged an additional $100 in administrative fees for switching our booking.

So which do I pick- Victory or Sunshine? Is it worth the extra money for the upgrades?

Although they are both great ships I would spend the little extra and go with the sunshine. There's a reason it costs a little more! I am sure there will be different opinions on here. But... No matter which one you choose you will love it...have an awesome time

I have been on both and love both. Since your destinations are the same, I would use the Carnival website to do a direct ship to ship comparison. Ask yourself how much time you think would spend in the sports court, or eating a a place that perhaps Victory doesn't have. For example, DH LOVES Guy's Burgers, and I liked having the JiJis, sushi and Cuchina - but you are going to pay for those (except Guys) as well, so keep that in mind when you are adding up costs. If the extra bells and whistles of the sunshine are worth the price difference, then I would do it.

• 2 months later...
Hi All,

I’m faced with a dilemma and I am so indecisive so I have come here seeking help. My dilemma is this: I’ve been so excited to take my first cruise that I booked the first great deal I came across. I booked the Carnival Victory, 5 night Bahamas in May.

But now I have discovered CC and I have literally spent the last week obsessed with reading reviews and forums. I’ve learned that the amenities from ship to ship within the same cruise line differ greatly. I learned about 2.0 upgrades!

I’ll be traveling with the DD16. We want to be those shipmates that you laugh at because we are standing around with your mouths hanging open in awe of all the ship has to offer.

So, I found another cruise on the Carnival Sunshine -same 5 night Bahamas itinerary for April. This ship is slightly more expensive ($100 total) plus we will be charged an additional $100 in administrative fees for switching our booking.

So which do I pick- Victory or Sunshine? Is it worth the extra money for the upgrades?

We have sailed on the Sunshine 3 times this year and once on the Victory last year. The Sunshine is better; especially if you like beer. The Sunshine has their own beer "Thirsty Frog" (It's really an Ale) SUPER. The sunshine also has a nicer Serenity area by the waterfall.

We just got off the Victory. Family of 6. Loved, loved, loved it! All the cruises I have been on we have never had a staff like on the Victory.....

We didn't miss the extras. The ship was clean and our balcony cabin was great. I have not been on the Sunshine but I wouldn't change.

This is the OP.

Thank you for all of the responses. Based on the majority of the responses I decided to switch to the Sunshine. I feel that the Sunshine will have more of a WoW factor for us first time cruisers.

From the responses it got the feeling that comparison of the two ships was similar to a comparison of old downtown Las Vegas vs. Vegas strip hotels.

I have been on the Victory and loved it, but given the choice I would go with the Sunshine, again for the extra food options, and probably more that would be interesting for 16yr olds.

ah...just saw your post OP, you made a good choice IMO.

Edited by SMSACE6