MITSUGIRLY BREAKAWAY's 1 last time for the year-review/pictorial

mitsugirly

Such an awesome review! Thank you so much for this. I am traveling with 2 friends on the BA in June to Bermuda, and I have them both addicted to reading this as well! Having said that, I'd like to ask your opinion on a couple of things, if thats ok!

As I said, i'm traveling with 2 friends - one is not a great swimmer, and the other has knee problems and can not do an excessive amount of walking, or any strenuous walking, but can do a moderate amount as long as she can stop and rest when needed. With that info, what beach(es) would you recommend? We would like to get some snorkeling in, but where water is not too deep or too rough. None of us have really been snorkeling before so the quality of snorkeling isn't as important as the water to us. Also, I'd like to get to St George and Tobacco Bay, but again, am worried about the amount of walking that might be involved. I was in Bermuda in 2012 on a diverted cruise (from Sandy on the Gem) so I didn't get to experience it to its fullest extent. Tobacco Bay was full of sea weed and looked like a dump, so I would like to experience it in its full beauty, if possible!

I also have an off topic question for you, if thats ok! I have a 2yr old at home, and was curious at what age you started taking Sakari with you, and how she adjusted to the kids areas.

TIA for your help!!!

Ok, so fairly easy snorkling, not rough water, not too deep, knee problems and not much walking.

Well...I do suggest Tobacco Bay of course. Great snorkeling, even if you have to stay around the edges toward the right of the entrance, you'll definitely be able to stand up and see a lot around there. Even going along the edges on either side will produce a lot of fish, sea fans and so on and you can stand at most of it. It's kinda a protected cove type area, so not too bad with waves.

If you go to Horseshoe, you could head right and there is "baby bay" which is also protected and you can snorkel. You'll see some huge parrot fish in the area, but not a lot of other things.

Snorkel Park (as much as others don't seem to care for this place because it's a "man made" beach, would be AWESOME for a very easy snorkel. You can stand up in most of the area and pretty far out. We seen a lot here (even an octopus) and super easy to do with not a lot of walking.

All the other places we have went to while there last year involves quite a bit of walking and probably isn't for your party. I'm sure others may be able to chime in and let you know of other places I have not been to yet. :)

I decided to check in and see if you had any more cruises booked. Turns out you've been busy since the last time I checked in! :cool:

I will be looking for your Carnival Breeze review in mid April. I will be interested to see what you think of her.

I'm glad Sakari is going to get her chance to sail on the Epic. :D We will be on our way back into PC aboard the Oasis when you sail, so wave at us if you happen to see her.

Update: Just checked your sail date. You sail on Nov 12, we return to port on Nov 13. If we do happen to pass each other we really would be on ships that pass in the night!

I just voted to name the polar bear cub Sakari. I think a girl who loves animals as much as your Sakari does deserves to have a bear cub named after her!

Edited by perfect match
Update

https://columbuszoo.org/namethecub

Did you see this? That the zoo is having a name contest for the polar bear cub and Sakari is one of the names chosen. Sorry to veer off topic but every time I see it pop up in my facebook feed I think of you.

YES!!! I have all my family and friends voting for it on a daily basis. Sakari would absolutely LOVE if this adorable little polar bear was named with her name!!! She would probably make me take her to the zoo all the time in order to see "her polar bear". She was SO excited last week when she brought home the news paper article her teacher gave her on it. :D

VOTE FOR SAKARI THE POLAR BEAR!! :)

12540831_10154008669133706_8528681403264043117_n-M.jpg

12509780_10154008669093706_7360361761548457177_n-M.jpg

I decided to check in and see if you had any more cruises booked. Turns out you've been busy since the last time I checked in! :cool:

I will be looking for your Carnival Breeze review in mid April. I will be interested to see what you think of her.

I'm glad Sakari is going to get her chance to sail on the Epic. :D We will be on our way back into PC aboard the Oasis when you sail, so wave at us if you happen to see her.

I just voted to name the polar bear cub Sakari. I think a girl who loves animals as much as your Sakari does deserves to have a bear cub named after her!

Hi Nancy! Yep, I've been a little busy. :D It's time for Sakari to get her Epic cruise and I won't have to listen to her complain about the only cruise ship we went on without her anymore. hehe

I will definitely wave if I see the Oasis. Lucky you. Some day I'll sail her!

Thanks for the vote. We have everyone voting daily. She would be so thrilled if this happens! She's such an animal lover and when we were there at Christmas for the zoo lights, she was so upset that the polar bears were not out that night. :( Hopefully by this summer the baby "Sakari" polar bear will be let out for the public to view. :D

Hmm, I just clicked on every one of them and they all work for me. :confused: What happens when you click on them?

I HIGHLY recommend Blue Kay for Costa Maya if you are not looking for an AI to go to. Jump on the $3 bus, first stop, no reservation or fees to get in and it's a HUGE beach...first on the Malecon. The food is priced good and tasted good. All 3 of us went there and drank (both alcohol and soda) and ate when we wanted and never went over $50 total. The beach was beautiful and the water was too. It had some decent snorkeling from shore in fairly shallow water too. :)

They are all working for me again. I was getting a "page not found" message. I wondered if you'd moved them to a private blog or something. Glad they are back!

Ok, so fairly easy snorkling, not rough water, not too deep, knee problems and not much walking.

Well...I do suggest Tobacco Bay of course. Great snorkeling, even if you have to stay around the edges toward the right of the entrance, you'll definitely be able to stand up and see a lot around there. Even going along the edges on either side will produce a lot of fish, sea fans and so on and you can stand at most of it. It's kinda a protected cove type area, so not too bad with waves.

If you go to Horseshoe, you could head right and there is "baby bay" which is also protected and you can snorkel. You'll see some huge parrot fish in the area, but not a lot of other things.

Snorkel Park (as much as others don't seem to care for this place because it's a "man made" beach, would be AWESOME for a very easy snorkel. You can stand up in most of the area and pretty far out. We seen a lot here (even an octopus) and super easy to do with not a lot of walking.

All the other places we have went to while there last year involves quite a bit of walking and probably isn't for your party. I'm sure others may be able to chime in and let you know of other places I have not been to yet. :)

Thank you so much for your response! That's pretty much what I was thinking! I must say though, that walk from Warwick to Horseshoe looks amazing! I'm tempted to do it on my own. Drop everyone at Horseshoe and meet them there! haha!

They are all working for me again. I was getting a "page not found" message. I wondered if you'd moved them to a private blog or something. Glad they are back!

Good' date=' I'm glad to hear they are working again. I haven't moved anything around on my host (which is a problem with some of my earlier reviews that I moved to another folder and it made the links invalid :( but organization is a must for me at this point with my cruising so I can quickly locate what I'm looking for) I will never make them private though, too many people out there depending on the pictures to help make decisions. :D

Thank you so much for your response! That's pretty much what I was thinking! I must say though, that walk from Warwick to Horseshoe looks amazing! I'm tempted to do it on my own. Drop everyone at Horseshoe and meet them there! haha!

You are very welcome. Yea, you could do the walk by yourself if you wanted. It's "fairly" simple for the most part and you can do it at your leisure, even if it's only to view or take pictures along the way. There's some great little bays along the way that would be perfect for your party with easy snorkeling and shallow water...it's just the walk that's involved. :(

You are very welcome. Yea, you could do the walk by yourself if you wanted. It's "fairly" simple for the most part and you can do it at your leisure, even if it's only to view or take pictures along the way. There's some great little bays along the way that would be perfect for your party with easy snorkeling and shallow water...it's just the walk that's involved. :(

It's definitely something to think about! It would mostly depend on how her knee feels on that particular day, but (according to her) as long as she can stop to rest if she needs, she's game for anything. And there certainly are some pretty nice spots for her to take a break while checking out the few haha

Were there lots of hills to climb up or was it a pretty level walk?

It's definitely something to think about! It would mostly depend on how her knee feels on that particular day, but (according to her) as long as she can stop to rest if she needs, she's game for anything. And there certainly are some pretty nice spots for her to take a break while checking out the few haha

Were there lots of hills to climb up or was it a pretty level walk?

For the most part, the land looked like:

PA070109%20copy-M.jpg

or

PA070138%20copy-M.jpg

PA070140%20copy-M.jpg

But there was a place that had the following...which is one of those things that "could" be tricky with a bum leg. It's one of those one foot in front of the other type of things.

PA070119%20copy-M.jpg

It might be a little hard to tell what the above is. But, it is a dug out area, maybe a foot deep that is the trail with rocks and grass surrounding it.

Yes, there is some walking up hill of course since the beach is down below and you will have to go up in order to follow the trail and make it so you are over looking the beach from up high. I personally didn't find it to be a strenuous walk or even much of a climb from what I can remember. Of course I went at my own leisure and we all did our own pace until it was time to stop and then everyone caught up.

Depending on if you would be walking down to the beach, you have to factor in how good she will be able to walk in sand. I sometimes struggle with that without a bum knee. :eek: :o Although most of the walk, she wouldn't necessarily have to walk down to the beach and can see if from the entrance or above, you would have to factor that she would have to walk the entire beach, in the sand, once you hit Horseshoe and it's a pretty long beach.

Hi Everyone! I had followed Kim's review of the Dream, I am home now from my cruise and land vacation with my friends and had a wonderful time with nice weather. We started out in San Juan and went to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grand Turk, and Jamaica. We ended up in New Orleans and stayed a few days to do the "Big Easy."

I was really pleasantly surprised at how nice the Carnival Dream was. It was lovely and not at all over the top garish like their early ships. Food, Cabin and service were great. I would definitely sail Carnival again on a similar ship.

Carnival had what they called a "Social internet package" for only $40.00 for the whole cruise and it allowed unlimited access to Facebook and Facebook messenger, so I kept in touch with FB and it saved me a lot of money by not trying to get on the internet to send e mails.

The only down side was that my cabin mate started to get sick on Sat. I had Zicam with me and started sucking on those zinc lozengers. When we got off the ship in New Orleans on Sunday she was able to go around with us, but that night she got really sick. I was really worried about her. On Monday she was too sick to go out with us. Of course I was concerned because I was sharing a room with her, but I kept on sucking those zinc things and vitamin C Hall's defense lozengers. She was so concerned about getting me sick and tried really had to stay away. We had lysol spray and kept using that. We took a cab together to the airport on Tuesday morning and she still wasn't feeling well. I believe when she got home she still was having chills and fever, so I hope she gets better.

So far, I am okay so stopped taking the zinc. I guess it works, but it also completely destroyed my ability to taste anything. I had a metallic taste in my mouth that pretty much made everything taste awful, even wine and beer. Lunch today finally started to taste right again. I was thinking that could be a really great way to lose weight because having things taste so bad I didn't want to eat or drink;) So, I will always sail with Zicam again. It you hear about illnesses going around the ship, this really does help to keep a person healthy.

Hi Everyone! I had followed Kim's review of the Dream, I am home now from my cruise and land vacation with my friends and had a wonderful time with nice weather. We started out in San Juan and went to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grand Turk, and Jamaica. We ended up in New Orleans and stayed a few days to do the "Big Easy."

I was really pleasantly surprised at how nice the Carnival Dream was. It was lovely and not at all over the top garish like their early ships. Food, Cabin and service were great. I would definitely sail Carnival again on a similar ship.

Carnival had what they called a "Social internet package" for only $40.00 for the whole cruise and it allowed unlimited access to Facebook and Facebook messenger, so I kept in touch with FB and it saved me a lot of money by not trying to get on the internet to send e mails.

The only down side was that my cabin mate started to get sick on Sat. I had Zicam with me and started sucking on those zinc lozengers. When we got off the ship in New Orleans on Sunday she was able to go around with us, but that night she got really sick. I was really worried about her. On Monday she was too sick to go out with us. Of course I was concerned because I was sharing a room with her, but I kept on sucking those zinc things and vitamin C Hall's defense lozengers. She was so concerned about getting me sick and tried really had to stay away. We had lysol spray and kept using that. We took a cab together to the airport on Tuesday morning and she still wasn't feeling well. I believe when she got home she still was having chills and fever, so I hope she gets better.

So far, I am okay so stopped taking the zinc. I guess it works, but it also completely destroyed my ability to taste anything. I had a metallic taste in my mouth that pretty much made everything taste awful, even wine and beer. Lunch today finally started to taste right again. I was thinking that could be a really great way to lose weight because having things taste so bad I didn't want to eat or drink;) So, I will always sail with Zicam again. It you hear about illnesses going around the ship, this really does help to keep a person healthy.

Sorry to hear about your friend, hope she had SOME fun on the cruise. Have you tried Airborne? I swear by that, it really works. It has zinc and all that good stuff for your immune system in it, and it comes in chewables (good tasting), dissolvable tablets, and gummies. Try that next time.

Christina

Kim,

I would like to say I have become a huge fan of your reviews and have read and reread them all over the last few months. (We are scheduled for our third cruise this month and first one on NCL, and I cannot wait.) I have a few things I would like to say and ask, so hopefully, I don’t wear out your patience as I can be a bit long winded!

First, your reviews are fantastic! I am very appreciative, and I am in awe of the amount of time it must take you between the original review and the plethora of responses. It truly is amazing!

Second, I lived in Columbus for nine years in the 90’s… J Sorry, I couldn’t resist that one since you have said you seem to always meet someone that knows someone who lives in Columbus!

Third, I relate a lot to you and your family. Mine is not nearly as large, but I am one year younger than you and have 28 and 29 year old step children and a 5 year old (son). Even though mine are only step children, I can really appreciate the dynamic between your kids. This is the first cruise that we are actually bringing one of our older kids with, so I’m looking forward to what will be a different experience for us this time around. (Also, my son is also a lover any all animals and sea creatures. He loves Wild Kratts and Octonauts, and I was wondering if Sakari enjoyed or enjoys those also.)

Ok, on to my questions… (sorry, I told you I would be long winded… J)

First, have you decided to go on your second Dawn cruise? Mostly, I am just curious, but that is the ship we are sailing in three weeks. I have read both bad and good reviews on the ship, but like you, we are not deterred one bit by the bad ones. We agree that the cruise is what you make it. If you plan for a great cruise, it’ll be great despite some of the details.

Second, unless Sakari is home schooled, I believe you have taken her out of school for some of your cruises, and I am wondering how you handle that. We haven’t even left, and already the school is sending us letters about unexcused absences and having a meeting with “the committee”. (Brayden has only missed four days of school so far this year.) We live in a very small country (TX) town (about 450 people), so policies are pretty tight and conservative. Is there anything special you do?

Anyone else that wants to chime in on the school question, please feel free.

Anyway, thank you for your time and putting up with my lengthy response and questions.

Jill

Hi Kim... just wanted to tell you that I'm a big fan of your reviews, and love to see the pics you take and live your adventures by reading them!

Will be going on the Getaway in May with the family... so wish me luck!! :D

Re:Schools.....Does your school system get funded by the daily attendance, or are they funded by how many students are enrolled on the first day of school? Most schools who depend on the daily attenance count for funds are extremely strict about absences because if the student is absent they do not get the daily stipend for him/her.

Schools who are funded by the total enrollement are not as worried about kids missing school, because they are being paid whether they are there or not. When I lived in Kentucky they were daily funded and they were always checking to see if a student was really sick. The elementary school Principal used to go and visit houses to check up on the kids. Now in Maryland, they are really laid back and just like parents to take school work with them if the kids are going off on trips. They are funded by the yearly enrollment.

Edited by CAC104

You can check with your school about a short term home study. Usually a week or more. They will give your son some work to complete and then they can get the funds and excuse his absences that way. You will get a lot of different answers because it is a state issue and every district does things differently.

Some helpful cruise critic advice: You will get more advice by starting a new thread specific to your issue as more people will see it. This is brought up on the family boards a lot too so check out a search there to see what others have done.

Kim,

I would like to say I have become a huge fan of your reviews and have read and reread them all over the last few months. (We are scheduled for our third cruise this month and first one on NCL, and I cannot wait.) I have a few things I would like to say and ask, so hopefully, I don’t wear out your patience as I can be a bit long winded!

First, your reviews are fantastic! I am very appreciative, and I am in awe of the amount of time it must take you between the original review and the plethora of responses. It truly is amazing!

Second, I lived in Columbus for nine years in the 90’s… J Sorry, I couldn’t resist that one since you have said you seem to always meet someone that knows someone who lives in Columbus!

Third, I relate a lot to you and your family. Mine is not nearly as large, but I am one year younger than you and have 28 and 29 year old step children and a 5 year old (son). Even though mine are only step children, I can really appreciate the dynamic between your kids. This is the first cruise that we are actually bringing one of our older kids with, so I’m looking forward to what will be a different experience for us this time around. (Also, my son is also a lover any all animals and sea creatures. He loves Wild Kratts and Octonauts, and I was wondering if Sakari enjoyed or enjoys those also.)

Ok, on to my questions… (sorry, I told you I would be long winded… J)

First, have you decided to go on your second Dawn cruise? Mostly, I am just curious, but that is the ship we are sailing in three weeks. I have read both bad and good reviews on the ship, but like you, we are not deterred one bit by the bad ones. We agree that the cruise is what you make it. If you plan for a great cruise, it’ll be great despite some of the details.

Second, unless Sakari is home schooled, I believe you have taken her out of school for some of your cruises, and I am wondering how you handle that. We haven’t even left, and already the school is sending us letters about unexcused absences and having a meeting with “the committee”. (Brayden has only missed four days of school so far this year.) We live in a very small country (TX) town (about 450 people), so policies are pretty tight and conservative. Is there anything special you do?

Anyone else that wants to chime in on the school question, please feel free.

Anyway, thank you for your time and putting up with my lengthy response and questions.

Jill

Aww thanks so much for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy my reviews.

Don't worry, my patience doesn't wear easily...if you've read my reviews (especially the ones that involve my oldest daughter Kendra and my grandson Brayden going), you will know I am very patient. :D

Oh wow, another fellow Ohioan. We live in Grove City, so I'm sure you know where that is. :) You must be one of the smart ones that was able to get out of here. :p Some day I hope I'm able to move...preferably south AND closer to a port!

It sounds like you can really relate to my situation. Isn't it fun to have a little one at our age. In 18 more days I'll be 50! I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that at this point. It was a major blow when I turned 40...now 50? Where has the time went??? I don't want to admit I'm getting old(er). :(

Yes, Sakari watches Wild Kratts but didn't know what Octonauts is. She just said "I never ever ever heard of it" so we'll take that as a no. LOL She has been into a new game daddy got her on xbox that you build your own zoo and take care of the animals. If she's not doing that, she's playing Mindcraft (building cruise ships on there believe it or not!) or drawing of course. She doesn't watch a lot of t.v. but does like shark week and the Animal Kingdom type shows. She has taught me more than I could ever want to learn about animals. She was telling me how many different types of "cats" there are last night...as in tigers, lions, jaguars, mountain lions, and so on...she just about named them all...even ones I am not sure I have heard of before. LOL She's a character for sure. If your son is an animal lover, I'm sure you can relate. hehe

Ok, as you can tell, I'm long winded too. On to your questions.

No, I have not decided to go on the Dawn again. To be honest, it was our least favorite ship to date. I'm not sure why, I just don't care for that class ship (with the Star being my next least favorite). But, if I wanted to go back to Bermuda (which I do) I would pick the Dawn again, or the Breakaway...which ever suited our budget or time frame. Honestly, I really don't care how I get someplace (I just usually want it to be a ship I haven't sailed on before but since the choices are limited going to Bermuda...) and I make the most out of whatever I'm on. I don't hate the Dawn, it's just not a favorite of mine. If they don't change the ships around next year, and the Dawn still goes to Bermuda, I will probably be back on it. It wouldn't be my pick if I could pick, but I would definitely be back on it. If that makes any sense. LOL

As for school. We usually cruise around October or November. It usually depends when everyone in the family can get away together to cruise and that's usually when it ends up being. So, she usually misses that week of school. However, Sakari NEVER misses school otherwise. Those are usually the only 5 days she misses during the school year (fingers crossed this continues and she doesn't get sick or hurt to have to miss any more). I always let her teachers know the week she is going to miss and they have me fill out paperwork. They give her a HUGE packet of school work to do while she's gone and we work on that on the plane, in the hotel and on the ship. That is our rules. Then she'll turn that in when she returns for acceptance and grading. So far, so good. Since each time we take her out is in the fall, it happens during a different school year each time, so like I said, it's only 5 days and that's honestly usually less than most children miss during the school year that don't go on vacation like this.

I honestly believe that visiting the places we go to, the various things we do, exposing her to different cultures and countries, is a great experience for her and I'm pretty sure it fulfills any social studies/possible history lessons in school. Just saying... I know her class was studying Mexico and their culture, piñatas and Mexican Independence Day. We have been in Mexico during this before and the different things she had on her paper are all things she has experienced before. I think it kinda makes it neat to know these things first hand. Just my thoughts.

Edited by mitsugirly

Hi Kim... just wanted to tell you that I'm a big fan of your reviews, and love to see the pics you take and live your adventures by reading them!

Will be going on the Getaway in May with the family... so wish me luck!! :D

Why thank you. I appreciate it and I'm glad you like the reviews and pictures.

You will have a blast on the Getaway. So much to do on the ship and she's beautiful. :)

Just spent last few days reading this review. I have been on the Breakaway twice already and reading about your trip helped prime me for our 3rd trip in May.

I always love to get another persons' perspective on an island. Thank you, I will make stops at some of the beaches you have suggested. Have you're been to Sea Glass beach? Not far from the Dockyard. It is something to see.

Again, Thank you for all the time and effort, it is much appreciated!

Just spent last few days reading this review. I have been on the Breakaway twice already and reading about your trip helped prime me for our 3rd trip in May.

I always love to get another persons' perspective on an island. Thank you, I will make stops at some of the beaches you have suggested. Have you're been to Sea Glass beach? Not far from the Dockyard. It is something to see.

Again, Thank you for all the time and effort, it is much appreciated!

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read the review and comment. I hope you have a great time on the Breakaway...round #3! :D

Yes, we have been to sea glass beach. It is located in my first Bermuda review from our Dawn cruise a few months prior to this Breakaway cruise. (You'll find more beach suggestions in that review as well and can see all the places we have been to in Bermuda in my signature line too). :)

Aww thanks so much for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy my reviews.

Don't worry, my patience doesn't wear easily...if you've read my reviews (especially the ones that involve my oldest daughter Kendra and my grandson Brayden going), you will know I am very patient. :D

Oh wow, another fellow Ohioan. We live in Grove City, so I'm sure you know where that is. :) You must be one of the smart ones that was able to get out of here. :p Some day I hope I'm able to move...preferably south AND closer to a port!

It sounds like you can really relate to my situation. Isn't it fun to have a little one at our age. In 18 more days I'll be 50! I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that at this point. It was a major blow when I turned 40...now 50? Where has the time went??? I don't want to admit I'm getting old(er). :(

Yes, Sakari watches Wild Kratts but didn't know what Octonauts is. She just said "I never ever ever heard of it" so we'll take that as a no. LOL She has been into a new game daddy got her on xbox that you build your own zoo and take care of the animals. If she's not doing that, she's playing Mindcraft (building cruise ships on there believe it or not!) or drawing of course. She doesn't watch a lot of t.v. but does like shark week and the Animal Kingdom type shows. She has taught me more than I could ever want to learn about animals. She was telling me how many different types of "cats" there are last night...as in tigers, lions, jaguars, mountain lions, and so on...she just about named them all...even ones I am not sure I have heard of before. LOL She's a character for sure. If your son is an animal lover, I'm sure you can relate. hehe

Ok, as you can tell, I'm long winded too. On to your questions.

No, I have not decided to go on the Dawn again. To be honest, it was our least favorite ship to date. I'm not sure why, I just don't care for that class ship (with the Star being my next least favorite). But, if I wanted to go back to Bermuda (which I do) I would pick the Dawn again, or the Breakaway...which ever suited our budget or time frame. Honestly, I really don't care how I get someplace (I just usually want it to be a ship I haven't sailed on before but since the choices are limited going to Bermuda...) and I make the most out of whatever I'm on. I don't hate the Dawn, it's just not a favorite of mine. If they don't change the ships around next year, and the Dawn still goes to Bermuda, I will probably be back on it. It wouldn't be my pick if I could pick, but I would definitely be back on it. If that makes any sense. LOL

As for school. We usually cruise around October or November. It usually depends when everyone in the family can get away together to cruise and that's usually when it ends up being. So, she usually misses that week of school. However, Sakari NEVER misses school otherwise. Those are usually the only 5 days she misses during the school year (fingers crossed this continues and she doesn't get sick or hurt to have to miss any more). I always let her teachers know the week she is going to miss and they have me fill out paperwork. They give her a HUGE packet of school work to do while she's gone and we work on that on the plane, in the hotel and on the ship. That is our rules. Then she'll turn that in when she returns for acceptance and grading. So far, so good. Since each time we take her out is in the fall, it happens during a different school year each time, so like I said, it's only 5 days and that's honestly usually less than most children miss during the school year that don't go on vacation like this.

I honestly believe that visiting the places we go to, the various things we do, exposing her to different cultures and countries, is a great experience for her and I'm pretty sure it fulfills any social studies/possible history lessons in school. Just saying... I know her class was studying Mexico and their culture, piñatas and Mexican Independence Day. We have been in Mexico during this before and the different things she had on her paper are all things she has experienced before. I think it kinda makes it neat to know these things first hand. Just my thoughts.

I do remember where Grove City is. I lived north of there off Morse Road (actually in Columbus).

It is fun having a little one at this age... keeps me/us young. The older two are not mine (by birth), and thankfully neither lives with us (anymore); however, they are good "kids", and we have a good relationship. Thankfully, no grandchildren yet!

Octonauts is on Disney, I think, and it's all about sea creatures. We are extremely limited in what we will allow Brayden to watch, but that is one of his favorites.

I appreciate your responses regarding the Dawn and school. I do understand about the Dawn. We are actually booked on her a second time next January, but that was mainly because of the four ports and the fact that we got a suite for under $3000 for four people (along with all of the suite benefits - UBP, UDP, free gratuities, and free internet). We just could not pass that up. And it's after the refurb, so it'll be interesting to see the differences. Currently, we have only cruised out of N.O. and Galveston. We cannot really afford to add the airfare, so that's it for the time being.

As for school, I wish I could say that Brayden hasn't missed any. He is actually a very healthy person... I think mainly because we haven't put him on antibiotics when he gets sick. We have always let him fight it. But he has bad fall allergies, so he fights against that and gets sick more easily than other times. And he seems to get the stomach bug that goes around once a year... how does Sakari avoid that?! Lucky her!! But I will see if our school offers any sort of home study program (as someone suggested here). If not, oh well... As you do, I feel these experiences are extremely valuable... especially since we plan to move to the caribbean within five to ten years.

Thanks again for your time! :)

I do remember where Grove City is. I lived north of there off Morse Road (actually in Columbus).

It is fun having a little one at this age... keeps me/us young. The older two are not mine (by birth), and thankfully neither lives with us (anymore); however, they are good "kids", and we have a good relationship. Thankfully, no grandchildren yet!

Octonauts is on Disney, I think, and it's all about sea creatures. We are extremely limited in what we will allow Brayden to watch, but that is one of his favorites.

I appreciate your responses regarding the Dawn and school. I do understand about the Dawn. We are actually booked on her a second time next January, but that was mainly because of the four ports and the fact that we got a suite for under $3000 for four people (along with all of the suite benefits - UBP, UDP, free gratuities, and free internet). We just could not pass that up. And it's after the refurb, so it'll be interesting to see the differences. Currently, we have only cruised out of N.O. and Galveston. We cannot really afford to add the airfare, so that's it for the time being.

As for school, I wish I could say that Brayden hasn't missed any. He is actually a very healthy person... I think mainly because we haven't put him on antibiotics when he gets sick. We have always let him fight it. But he has bad fall allergies, so he fights against that and gets sick more easily than other times. And he seems to get the stomach bug that goes around once a year... how does Sakari avoid that?! Lucky her!! But I will see if our school offers any sort of home study program (as someone suggested here). If not, oh well... As you do, I feel these experiences are extremely valuable... especially since we plan to move to the caribbean within five to ten years.

Thanks again for your time! :)

Yep, I know Morse Rd well. My hubby use to work at Dennis Mitsubishi. :D

It does sound like you got a heck of a deal for the Dawn. I wouldn't pass that up either. Congrats to you! I really hope you have a blast (I know you will since it sounds like you are a lot like me and have a good time no matter what). :)

• 3 months later...

Hi Kim I have to say that I LOVE your reviews and truly appreciate all of the time and effort that you put into them. I have read most of them and was on hiatus from cruising due to school and would vicariously cruise through your reviews. Yesterday I booked the Breakaway and the first thing I did was reread this review :D

Thanks again because of your review I am that much more excited than I already was!

Edited by friskat

Hi Kim I have to say that I LOVE your reviews and truly appreciate all of the time and effort that you put into them. I have read most of them and was on hiatus from cruising due to school and would vicariously cruise through your reviews. Yesterday I booked the Breakaway and the first thing I did was reread this review :D

Thanks again because of your review I am that much more excited than I already was!

Thanks for the nice comments and I hope you have a wonderful time on the Breakaway. Are you going to Bermuda or the Caribbean?