Never cruised Holland America: couple dining questions

piglettravels

Or you can order from room service, and have your dinner delivered to your stateroom.

Just to clarify - you can order from the main dining room menu and have it brought to your cabin. You do not have to order off of the room service menu.

Also, with the new dress code rules, you no longer have to get real dressed up for dining on Gala night. You might want to review the new requirements, as I bet they would work for you.

You can have dinner in Lido in casual clothes, Canaletto (need a reservation) and room service if you don't wish to go to MDR on formal night.

Pinnacle dress code is same as MDR. If it is 'gala night' in MDR, it also is in Pinnacle. You need reservation for Pinnacle. :)

There seems to be a lack of detail in the new dress code and a shirt with collar and tie may be sufficient for DH to be seated.

Edited by sail7seas

If one is not crazy about formal/gala nights can you have dinner in another venue, such as the Lido Restaurant, with casual attire?

Do you need reservations in those other venues as you might in the main dining room with As You Wish Dining?

Welcome the HAL Forum.

As reported earlier, you may order the same items on the MDR menu through Room Service if you call during evening meal hours. Note that you can order two lobster tails (usually served on second Gala Night) on the Gala Night or three appetizers, or any multiples of whatever you want.

If you choose to eat in the Pinnacle Grill (reservations required - $29), here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Pinnacle-Grill-Dinner1.pdf

If you choose to eat in the Canaletto which is located in a corner of the Lido Restaurant (reservations required - $10), here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Canaletto-Dinner.pdf

The Lido Restaurant serves nearly the same menu as the MDR (sans lobster tail) every evening but it has a huge salad bar with Pasta/Pizza available.

If you opt for regular Room Service (free 24/7), here is the current menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Room-Service.pdf

Dinner on your verandah is a real treat so bring a tablecloth and some LED candles to create a good mood.

Hope this helps in your planning.

I'm a newbie and its probably here somewhere, but what are the new rules for Gala night?

From HAL's website:

"Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests

dress to impress for special events on board, including a fivecourse

gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen,

jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are

required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which

permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

So, all a man needs to wear is a collared shirt and slacks.

Has anyone returned from a recent cruise where the new gala night dress code is in effect? If so, did you notice any difference from previous cruises? I am wondering if there were a lot of men wearing slacks with collared shirts instead of a tie and jacket.

Has anyone returned from a recent cruise where the new gala night dress code is in effect? If so, did you notice any difference from previous cruises? I am wondering if there were a lot of men wearing slacks with collared shirts instead of a tie and jacket.

Yes, I would say about 10% of the men

Has anyone returned from a recent cruise where the new gala night dress code is in effect? If so, did you notice any difference from previous cruises?

Yes, in general, I thought people weren’t as “dressed up”.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. DH does not want to even bring a jacket for gala night so we'll be doing alternate to MDR.

My DH is the same, we are taking our first cruise in June next year, 12 day Mediterranean, we will be away from home for 6 weeks and he cant see the point of carrying around a jacket for all that time, just to use on 1 or 2 occasions at the very end of trip.

We are thinking of booking our Pinnacle dinner for one of those nights, we'll do that as soon as we board.

My DH is the same, we are taking our first cruise in June next year, 12 day Mediterranean, we will be away from home for 6 weeks and he cant see the point of carrying around a jacket for all that time, just to use on 1 or 2 occasions at the very end of trip.

We are thinking of booking our Pinnacle dinner for one of those nights, we'll do that as soon as we board.

As Sail said in Post #7 above, the dress code in the Pinnacle Grill is the same as the MDR - therefore, "formal" on Gala nights. Casual dress will be suitable for the Lido or Canaletto restaurants.

I should add, that probably 9 times out of 10, my DH would wear a jacket to the PG, even on smart casual nights.

Edited by Vict0riann

As Sail said in Post #7 above, the dress code in the Pinnacle Grill is the same as the MDR - therefore, "formal" on Gala nights. Casual dress will be suitable for the Lido or Canaletto restaurants.

I should add, that probably 9 times out of 10, my DH would wear a jacket to the PG, even on smart casual nights.

Thanks for that, but he will take good collared shirts and trousers, so from what I read he should be ok, I will be taking a couple of nice dresses.