Galveston TX

fishmac

This is my first post and would like to know if anyone has arrived in Galveston a day early? How did you get there and how much did it cost?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You might also want to post your question in the Gulf Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

We cruised out of Galveston last May. Flew into Hobby the day before the cruise. Used Cool Tours private shuttle (a nice Nissan SUV) to get us from the airport to the hotel in Galveston and after the cruise back to the airport. Sorry but I can't recall the price. We stayed at the Galveston Beach Hotel then used the hotel shuttle to get us to the pier. If we cruised from Galveston again we would use the same shuttle and hotel.

We are looking at Liberty 10/9/16 and we are coming from Boston.
. Houston Hobby is the closest airport.

Google shuttles from Hobby to Galveston, and you'll find several. This should be a start. Let us know if you need more info. Gulf Coast departures is a great source ....

I like getting to Gaveleston a day early but in last couple of years cost of a decent hotel has more than doubled and many of the better hotels require a 2 night stay before the cruise. So what we have done is staying at a nice hotel by airport night before the cruise then taking a car service to pier next day. Hobby is about 40 mins from pier, other airport is 20 or 30 mins more. I enjoyed the Doubletree by Hobby earlier this year and will do it again next April when we cruise on Liberty.

I was shocked at the price of hotels in Galveston! I gulped and managed to find the Hampton available for one night for our 2016 cruise. We've stayed there in the past. It's across the street from Walmart which is convenient as we always forget something it seems. The breakfast was all white high carb so I hope they've added some egg choices.

On 7-25-2015, took Z limousine service from Houston Hobby airport to Hampton Inn & Suites Galveston in SUV for 4 people for 172.75 including tax. Next day took cab to port, much easier than waiting for Hampton's shuttle and cheaper for 4 but can't remember the price. At end of cruise took Royals bus transfer to Houston hobby and this to was very stress free. We liked the driver for Z limo and would use again.

Last year we flew into Hobby and used Super Shuttle to get to the Hilton in Galveston. The cost was $100.00 they sent a town car, so it was just my husband and I. They were waiting for use at baggage claim. Very nice service. The hotel shuttled us to the pier and use Royal transportation back to Hobby once the cruise was over.

We did a car service and it was about $140 including tip. We flew in late two days prior so it was nice not waiting for a ride and having somebody help with luggage. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, which is not a Hilton that we have booked for a New Years cruise. I did notice all the hotel prices have jumped, but I assumed it was just because it was the holidays.

When you start your search for a hotel check out Harbor House. It's right at the port...2 blocks from The Strand and many restaurants within walking distance

I've never been able to find that hotel without a 2 night minimum on the weekend.

I've never been able to find that hotel without a 2 night minimum on the weekend.

Good thing for us that we sail out of Galveston on a Friday so we got rooms at the Tremont House for what we thought was a fairly reasonable rate for the pre cruise days

We are here now (in Houston, actually) getting ready to head to the ship in a few hours. We flew into Hobby early yesterday morning, so we had that day to kill, and we don't fly out until late Sunday night on the return, so we'll have that day, too. Hotels in Galveston are expensive for what they are, so we chose to stay in Houston. I found a good deal for the Marriott Spring Hill Suites near Kemah ($110), on NASA Pkwy. We went to the Space Center yesterday and Kemah Boardwalk last night. It's been a nice visit. We decided to rent a car. For the car and parking at the port, it's about $360 for the week (9 days actually). With three of us, paying for a shuttle plus some ground transportation for local touring, it just made more sense to get a car.

We are here now (in Houston, actually) getting ready to head to the ship in a few hours. We flew into Hobby early yesterday morning, so we had that day to kill, and we don't fly out until late Sunday night on the return, so we'll have that day, too. Hotels in Galveston are expensive for what they are, so we chose to stay in Houston. I found a good deal for the Marriott Spring Hill Suites near Kemah ($110), on NASA Pkwy. We went to the Space Center yesterday and Kemah Boardwalk last night. It's been a nice visit. We decided to rent a car. For the car and parking at the port, it's about $360 for the week (9 days actually). With three of us, paying for a shuttle plus some ground transportation for local touring, it just made more sense to get a car.

Was the Springhill in Kemah walking distance to any restaurants?

Was the Springhill in Kemah walking distance to any restaurants?

The Springhill Suites are actually in Seabrook. Hooters is almost next door but within a 10 minute walk, albeit across heavy SH146 traffic, is Tookies...one of the best burgers you'll ever put in your mouth with a great atmosphere. Beyond that, you've got a decent walk in front of you for decent food.

Edit: 15 minute walk the other direction puts you at the Seabrook Classic Cafe. It, too, has awesome chow.

Edited by Katy_Tbird

The Springhill Suites are actually in Seabrook. Hooters is almost next door but within a 10 minute walk, albeit across heavy SH146 traffic, is Tookies...one of the best burgers you'll ever put in your mouth with a great atmosphere. Beyond that, you've got a decent walk in front of you for decent food.

Edit: 15 minute walk the other direction puts you at the Seabrook Classic Cafe. It, too, has awesome chow.

Thanks for the info, that's another hotel I'll add to my Galveston list.:)

They are available by calling the hotels, they just don't advertise for one night.

Galveston is a destination/resort town with the population growing from 47,000 during the week to 100,000+ on weekends and over 600,000 during the Lone Star Bike Rally the first weekend in November.

There are multiple events on the Island almost every weekend which keeps the hotels booked, many well in advance.