Medications

LINANRIC

Going on a cruise and was wondering if anyone out there would happen to know if I have to take all my medication bottles with me, or can I put all of them in medicine containers for each day? I take alot of meds, and do not think that there would be enough room in my suitcase for all of them.

I also take meds and vitamins. I put them in my weekly container. I have never been asked to show prescription bottles. I don't think they are worried about people like you and me. They are concerned about the people who have a lot of controlled substance types of medications. You could have you doctor write a note about your meds on a prescription pad. I had that done once.

I also travel with injectable medication and have never been questioned about that either.

I have NEVER heard of anyone being questioned about meds.

I also put my meds into the weekly box, and have never been asked about them.

I carry an Epi-Pen, and have, occasionally, been stopped because if it. At LGA, I didn't think I was going to be allowed through security with it, which didn't bother me much because I've never had to use it. Since then, I carry a letter from my MD just in case. Once, when asked what it was, I replied, "an Epi-Pen", and the TSA person said, "Oh, a marker", and let me through.

Hi , there was another thread on this topic a while back. I think it said you were suppose to take your original bottles, however we didn't because our bottles are the large 3 month supply ones we get from our mail in pharmacy, and when I called and asked them for small bottles with the information on them and explained why , they said they could not do that. So we put the meds in the weekly pill containers and took along our copy of the medication receipts and a letter listing the meds from our Dr. so we could prove what they were and that they were ours. My DH takes 6 pills every morning and 3 every night, he has type 2 diabetes. We have never been stopped or questioned about it. Hope this helps.

Cori

DH has to take many medications. We are fortunate to have a pharmacy that will give us the small bottle for travel when we ask for them.

We always take at least 5 days extra of medications.

same here, my pharmacist will do the smaller bottles with labels. Regardless of whether or not you have never been stopped for it, it's always good practice to have the information about your prescriptions. what if you, your spouse or both were in an accident & all you had were bottles with no labels? how much time would they (people helping you) spend trying to figure out what those red, yellow, and blue pills were?

I always put my meds in the weekly carry case with a letter from my Dr. for injectables and a list of all meds I am on with the dosages and how many times a day I take it. I have it in word on my computer and update it as needed. I keep the Dr letter and my list of meds with the rest of my paper work for the cruise. I have never had any problems.

I have been traveling for years with a weekly planner containing all my Rx meds and my OTC stuff like vitamins, etc. For the Rx I keep a copy of the slip from the pharmacy - usually the information that comes along with the prescription includes a small, perforated copy of the label which you can simply place in your wallet or, if space allows, within the planner itself. This has always worked for me and, like the poster above, I always bring a few extra day's supply....just in case!

same here, my pharmacist will do the smaller bottles with labels. Regardless of whether or not you have never been stopped for it, it's always good practice to have the information about your prescriptions. what if you, your spouse or both were in an accident & all you had were bottles with no labels? how much time would they (people helping you) spend trying to figure out what those red, yellow, and blue pills were?

Even at home, I always carry around a list of the medications I take, the dosages, and what they are for, plus a list of my medical allergies.

Definitely take a list of your medication if not the bottles. If something happens and you needed to see the doctor on board they would definitely want to know exactly what you are taking....it can be looked up, but it takes time to identify actual medicine and dose...and it may suprise you how many people do not know the names or dosage of their medicines..."lets see I take a water pill, a heart pill, a blood pressure pill oh and yes a baby aspirin...."

I was going to call RCI closer to the travel date, but these boards are a wealth of information....

My son takes an injectable medication that requires refrigeration. We are in a standard room, i.e. not a suite or anything fancy. I'm sure there won't be a refrigerator in our room.

Does anyone know what RCI or other lines do for passengers that need medicine refrigerated????

And to second a PP, we have my son's doctor write out all his medications and condition on a prescription sheet. We also have security hand scan the injectable because we're not sure what the x-ray may do to it?!? We haven't had a problem with air travel.

Thanks in advance...

A

I was going to call RCI closer to the travel date, but these boards are a wealth of information....

My son takes an injectable medication that requires refrigeration. We are in a standard room, i.e. not a suite or anything fancy. I'm sure there won't be a refrigerator in our room.

Does anyone know what RCI or other lines do for passengers that need medicine refrigerated????

And to second a PP, we have my son's doctor write out all his medications and condition on a prescription sheet. We also have security hand scan the injectable because we're not sure what the x-ray may do to it?!? We haven't had a problem with air travel.

Thanks in advance...

A

We also have an inside cabin and ours does have a refrigerator. It depends on the ship. On our last cruise, the cabin we originally booked did not have a refrigerator and our TA called and they were going to put on in our cabin. If you are using a TA, call them and have them find out. If not, you could call RCI yourself and ask for one.

Let us know what happens!

My father was stopped twice returning from Europe and was asked extensive questions as to why he didn't have his prescriptions in their original containers. It's not the TSA you have to be concerned with, it US Customs. When I recently returned from a cruise, Customs opened my carry on and looked at every prescription I had in my carry on. The agent said I was smart to keep everything in their original containers because they tend to examine things a little more closely when meds aren't in their original bottles. Since purchasing drugs outside the US is technically illegal, the US Customs officals can and will seize meds they think were purchased outside the US. Be careful if you insist on putting your meds in those days of the week containers.

By law you should keep your meds in the bottles that they came in with the prescription on it. If you are ever stopped by police and you can't prove what the meds are for you can be arrested. I take a lot of different meds, too, but keep them in the their original bottles. Like someone else, I also have a card with all of meds listed which is for my doc appt. They always ask me what I'm taking and since I can't remember them all or their names, the card helps.

I just recently began giving myself B12 injections and now I not only have to carry a prescription for the syringes, but a letter from my doc saying I need them for a medical condition.

Be sure to keep all of your meds in your carryon.

Called RCI today and spoke to a young lady in their Special Needs division. She said that our cabin doesn't have a refridgerator, but that they would be glad to put a mini-fridge in there for us. She even thought to ask if we would need a sharps container. How groovy is that. I don't have to deal with any of it...she said that it would be waiting in the room.

:cool:

Called RCI today and spoke to a young lady in their Special Needs division. She said that our cabin doesn't have a refridgerator, but that they would be glad to put a mini-fridge in there for us. She even thought to ask if we would need a sharps container. How groovy is that. I don't have to deal with any of it...she said that it would be waiting in the room.

:cool:

Archived