Spinnaker Lounge Being Removed From All Ships????

emilysmom97

I just got off the Breakaway and was my 5th cruise with NCL. Some of my favorite shows on NCL is Dancing With the (insert ship name here) Stars, The Not so Newlywed Game, Battle of the Sexes, etc. The Breakaway doesn't have the Spinnaker, which is where these shows are normally shown. Instead, they are shown in the Atrium. The Atrium is crowded, not nearly enough seats, and loud. To see a show, you'll have to get there about an hour early to fight for seats! It's very difficult to see the show because it's so crowded. People are forced to sit on the floor at times. Very poor design. Dancing with the Stars was not even shown on the Breakaway because the stage in the atrium is way too small. Speaking to fellow passengers, we all had the same gripe about the Atrium. Sitting in the Haven bar, I mentioned it to the bartender. She told me the Sun just removed the Spinnaker to put in more cabins and that eventually all the Jewel class ships will do the same. If in fact this is true I feel it will be downward turn for NCL. I found an article about the Sun and removal of the Spinnaker, the library, chapel and card room. Terribly disappointing!!!! Just NCL's way of making more money. In the long run, they may be losing more dedicated cruisers. I say if we can confirm this, let's start a petition against this. http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2010/05/14/has-ncl-dulled-their-star/

I hate that the shows are being shown in the atrium! You are totally right, love them in the spinnaker lounge.

But a plus side may be that people who are just strolling through are "forced" to get involved and may have a higher turnout per show than if they held them in a different closed off venue

I just got off the Breakaway and was my 5th cruise with NCL. Some of my favorite shows on NCL is Dancing With the (insert ship name here) Stars, The Not so Newlywed Game, Battle of the Sexes, etc. The Breakaway doesn't have the Spinnaker, which is where these shows are normally shown. Instead, they are shown in the Atrium. The Atrium is crowded, not nearly enough seats, and loud. To see a show, you'll have to get there about an hour early to fight for seats! It's very difficult to see the show because it's so crowded. People are forced to sit on the floor at times. Very poor design. Dancing with the Stars was not even shown on the Breakaway because the stage in the atrium is way too small. Speaking to fellow passengers, we all had the same gripe about the Atrium. Sitting in the Haven bar, I mentioned it to the bartender. She told me the Sun just removed the Spinnaker to put in more cabins and that eventually all the Jewel class ships will do the same. If in fact this is true I feel it will be downward turn for NCL. I found an article about the Sun and removal of the Spinnaker, the library, chapel and card room. Terribly disappointing!!!! Just NCL's way of making more money. In the long run, they may be losing more dedicated cruisers. I say if we can confirm this, let's start a petition against this. http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2010/05/14/has-ncl-dulled-their-star/

I think you mean the Star.. That article is 5 years old.

Absolutely incorrect.

First of all, that article is from 2010 and is about Star, not Sun.

Secondly both Dawn class ships lost Spinnaker Lounge in 2010 and 2011 because they don't have Haven and the extra suites there.

Jewel class ships already have Haven and more suites to begin with, so there is no need for them to do anything about it. All Jewel class ships have since been in drydock and would already have been converted if they wanted to do it.

This is a rumour that surfaces as "a fact" now and then ever since Dawn class ships had the lounge moved.

Edited by Demonyte

I was just on The Sun- they do not have a Spinnaker Lounge but do have an Observation Lounge. The Sun has not just come from dry dock so nothing has changed on Her in number of years. Yes, she is scheduled for dry dock in the Spring of 2016.

Most staff have NO idea of what is being planned or not planned within the Company.

I think we met in the Haven, we had our 2 daughters with us and our older daughters friend and were also traveling with my inlaws Peter and Eileen I did not realize you were from Cruise critic. My father in law is Peter Murphy, I am sure you know who he is if you spent any time in the Haven lounge lol

Before we all get on a tear...

• The 5 1/2 year old article you link to is about the Star, not the Sun

• The Sun does not have (and has never had) a Spinnaker Lounge

• The Spinnaker Lounge was not removed from the Star, it was simply moved to the aft section of the ship.

• Every NCL ship that had a Spinnaker Lounge STILL has that lounge today.

I hate that the shows are being shown in the atrium! You are totally right, love them in the spinnaker lounge.

But a plus side may be that people who are just strolling through are "forced" to get involved and may have a higher turnout per show than if they held them in a different closed off venue

I agree. We do not like certain events being held in the atrium - way to small.

But on a negative side, I won't participate in some events because I do not like being on display. I love the dance lessons & events and go to all on the jewel class ships, but not on the BA-due to being "on display " in the atrium for the whole ship (and bar area on top ) to see. I like being entertained on the ship, not being the entertainment. LOL . Bliss would be much better for these events.

Safe sailing

Before we all get on a tear...

• The 5 1/2 year old article you link to is about the Star, not the Sun

• The Sun does not have (and has never had) a Spinnaker Lounge

• The Spinnaker Lounge was not removed from the Star, it was simply moved to the aft section of the ship.

• Every NCL ship that had a Spinnaker Lounge STILL has that lounge today.

I agree with all points except the last. I was on the Dawn and the only thing I enjoyed on that ship was the Spinnaker lounge. It is gone now and has been replaced with suites but the Dawn has no Haven & had few suites before that change.

But on a negative side, I won't participate in some events because I do not like being on display. I love the dance lessons & events and go to all on the jewel class ships, but not on the BA-due to being "on display " in the atrium for the whole ship (and bar area on top ) to see. I like being entertained on the ship, not being the entertainment. LOL . Bliss would be much better for these events.

Safe sailing

The real unforgivable thing they are doing in the atrium stage is the kids shows! On 3pm on a seaday, they had Dora out on the stage for like over an hour! Why wouldn't you do this in the kids lounge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely incorrect.

First of all, that article is from 2010 and is about Star, not Sun.

Secondly both Dawn class ships lost Spinnaker Lounge in 2010 and 2011 because they don't have Haven and the extra suites there.

Jewel class ships already have Haven and more suites to begin with, so there is no need for them to do anything about it. All Jewel class ships have since been in drydock and would already have been converted if they wanted to do it.

This is a rumour that surfaces as "a fact" now and then ever since Dawn class ships had the lounge moved.

You're right, my mistake. The bartender on the Breakaway did say that eventually the Spinnaker will be removed on all ships. Could it be rumor, maybe but it does seem that when ships go into dry dock, they are removing the Spinnaker...Dawn and Sun.

Well shame on NCL for trying to make more money. Lol. They have the shows in the atrium for a very good reason. And that's so they are out in the open and can gain attention of people who may not have planned to attend the show.

I agree with all points except the last. I was on the Dawn and the only thing I enjoyed on that ship was the Spinnaker lounge. It is gone now and has been replaced with suites but the Dawn has no Haven & had few suites before that change.

I don't know why you would disagree...there is a Spinnaker Lounge on the Dawn.

4e_new_lounge_stage-514x381.jpg

You're right, my mistake. The bartender on the Breakaway did say that eventually the Spinnaker will be removed on all ships. Could it be rumor, maybe but it does seem that when ships go into dry dock, they are removing the Spinnaker...Dawn and Sun.

Still not the case...the Sun has NEVER had a Spinnaker Lounge to remove, and the Spinnaker Lounge is still on the Dawn (see photo above). Every ship that had a Spinnaker Lounge STILL has a Spinnaker Lounge.

The real unforgivable thing they are doing in the atrium stage is the kids shows! On 3pm on a seaday, they had Dora out on the stage for like over an hour! Why wouldn't you do this in the kids lounge?

Exactly! The Atrium is mayhem.

Still not the case...the Sun has NEVER had a Spinnaker Lounge to remove, and the Spinnaker Lounge is still on the Dawn (see photo above). Every ship that had a Spinnaker Lounge STILL has a Spinnaker Lounge.

Yes, my mistake about the Sun. It was the Star.

Hey. Here's a great idea. For this discussion let's replace the reference to Spinnaker lounge with the term "forward observation lounge" since we all know that is what was trying to be referenced. And then, yes the Sun does have one. And yes, they were removed from the Star and Dawn, on whom we have not sailed again.

Well shame on NCL for trying to make more money. Lol. They have the shows in the atrium for a very good reason. And that's so they are out in the open and can gain attention of people who may not have planned to attend the show.

So I guess you're on NCL's side instead of the cruise guests? Some money making schemes are not in the interest of the client and therefore may backfire.

Safe sailing

How did you like the Breakaway compared to the Gem? I love the Gem!!

So I guess you're on NCL's side instead of the cruise guests? Some money making schemes are not in the interest of the client and therefore may backfire.

What do you mean on NCL's side? I didn't know we were choosing sides. I just thought it was silly to insinuate that NCL trying to make money was a bad thing. But I personally do not have a problem with the shows on the atrium. I like it because I can always see what going on as I pass by vs having to go to a specific room on the ship.

For this discussion let's replace the reference to Spinnaker lounge with the term "forward observation lounge" since we all know that is what was trying to be referenced. And then, yes the Sun does have one. And yes, they were removed from the Star and Dawn, on whom we have not sailed again.
But the discussion is about activities having to be scheduled in the Atrium because there is no big public lounge on some ships. This complaint is not valid for the Star and Dawn. They have the saddest Spinnaker Lounges in the fleet, but they still have one.

How did you like the Breakaway compared to the Gem? I love the Gem!!

The Gem is our favorite ship. Only reason we alternate from NY with the BA are the shows and events. They do not change very often , and we basically knew every line, song, and joke that was performed on the Gem. Nothing like the attention and service you get on the Gem. The Great outdoors and cute window seats(looking out to sea ) are some of my favorite spots. Great ship!

The BA is fun too and we do enjoy the shows (but miss nightly shows) and modern touches, but as stated before - common areas are just way too small. The main idea on that ship is, don't make them too comfortable - so they keep moving around.

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe