Oh Celebrity, what are you doing?

English Tim

I enjoy a bit of comedy. Usually this is provided foc by some of the louder guests at queues in the Buffet in the morning or in the seating area outside. It can also be experienced by sitting at the pool bar. My friend from Canadia even got me to sit with him adjacent to Guest Relations when a particularly loud person from his neighbouring country was sounding off on the tender back to the ship that he was going " to sort out the mess at customer services "

Priceless but free [emoji41]

Not my idea of fun. Poor behaviour just winds me up and I get as far away from it as possible. If it entertains you then, well, each to their own.

Phil

This does put me in mind of my upcoming cruise! I am NOT an experienced cruiser, this one upcoming will be my first, but I read a great deal on this site and others, and on the Celebrity site itself.

We are most upset that they have decided to do away with the SS United States restaurant on the Infinity while she is in dry dock, and replace it with a Tuscan Grill. As I have said in another post, the dining experience at SS United States was one of the major factors in our choosing that sailing on that ship (not not the ENTIRE reason but a substantial one!) It was not made known until the 8th of this month that this change was going to be implemented, and by that time all of our travel arrangements had been set and nothing was to be done.

It is the lack of communication on Celebrity's side of things that boggles my mind. In order to plan well and budget for a cruise I imagine most folks, like ourselves, had to begin planning rather a long way off, saving money buying tickets, making deposits etc, so that it could all come together in the end. All of the waiting and intervening time is usually spent "investing" in that delayed gratification. Then to have it come time to depart and realize that this trip would not be what you had hoped and planned it to be, that is quite a blow.

I know a little bit about project management (as a Project Coordinator by trade I am surrounded by them) and while I am sure that even in a cruise line the plans are not finalized until rather "late in the day" there MUST surely have been some discussion regarding this entertainment changeover, or the removal of the restaurant in my case, and to not share that with the folks whose well earned vacation time is being spent to enjoy it, seems a tad negligent really!

If I had known that there was to be a restaurant change I could have changed my booking to another ship very readily, but by the time I was informed there were no options, I was stuck. That is what really bothers me, that I was left with no options at all, and I can see the same situation with the entertainment.

Cheers,

Derek

If it is not too late, is there another cruise on another line leaving within a few days of when you are to leave?

That way you would lose minimal money and still keep your other reservations in place, possibly??

bon voyage

But there will probably be a time when I am no longer attracted to Celebrity because of cutbacks and extra cost expenditures.

I think that time has arrived for me. We're one short cruise shy of Elite Plus, but likely will never take that cruise. We'd gone two years between Celebrity cruises, and they had gone down quite a bit in that time.

Not that I expect their main competitors to be better. We may need to move up to more expensive lines and cruise less often to make up for it if we keep cruising for vacations.

This does put me in mind of my upcoming cruise! I am NOT an experienced cruiser, this one upcoming will be my first, but I read a great deal on this site and others, and on the Celebrity site itself.

We are most upset that they have decided to do away with the SS United States restaurant on the Infinity while she is in dry dock, and replace it with a Tuscan Grill. As I have said in another post, the dining experience at SS United States was one of the major factors in our choosing that sailing on that ship (not not the ENTIRE reason but a substantial one!) It was not made known until the 8th of this month that this change was going to be implemented, and by that time all of our travel arrangements had been set and nothing was to be done.

It is the lack of communication on Celebrity's side of things that boggles my mind. In order to plan well and budget for a cruise I imagine most folks, like ourselves, had to begin planning rather a long way off, saving money buying tickets, making deposits etc, so that it could all come together in the end. All of the waiting and intervening time is usually spent "investing" in that delayed gratification. Then to have it come time to depart and realize that this trip would not be what you had hoped and planned it to be, that is quite a blow.

I know a little bit about project management (as a Project Coordinator by trade I am surrounded by them) and while I am sure that even in a cruise line the plans are not finalized until rather "late in the day" there MUST surely have been some discussion regarding this entertainment changeover, or the removal of the restaurant in my case, and to not share that with the folks whose well earned vacation time is being spent to enjoy it, seems a tad negligent really!

If I had known that there was to be a restaurant change I could have changed my booking to another ship very readily, but by the time I was informed there were no options, I was stuck. That is what really bothers me, that I was left with no options at all, and I can see the same situation with the entertainment.

Cheers,

Derek

If it is not too late, is there another cruise on another line leaving within a few days of when you are to leave?

That way you would lose minimal money and still keep your other reservations in place, possibly??

bon voyage

Bo may be on to something here. Murano is on all 5 of the S-Class ships. It is the same venue. Maybe you can transfer the booking to one of those ships.

Just be cautious and use common sense when attending the "activities" listed in the daily schedule.

Some are nothing but sales pitches intended to sell you a product or procedure of one kind or another.

When I was having back pain on one ship, I attended a session on back pain up in the gym.

The instructor was demonstrating stretching exercises that I found very helpful. In fact, I still do them to this day.

He did not pitch any products.

I am only sorry that I did not remember his name.

So when I saw another back pain seminar listed on the schedule on another cruise, I thought it would provide a nice refresher and I might even learn some new exercises to do.

Unfortunately, that one turned out to be nothing but a sales pitch for some shoe inserts they were selling.

Just be cautious and use common sense when attending the "activities" listed in the daily schedule.

Some are nothing but sales pitches intended to sell you a product or procedure of one kind or another.

When I was having back pain on one ship, I attended a session on back pain up in the gym.

The instructor was demonstrating stretching exercises that I found very helpful. In fact, I still do them to this day.

He did not pitch any products.

I am only sorry that I did not remember his name.

So when I saw another back pain seminar listed on the schedule on another cruise, I thought it would provide a nice refresher and I might even learn some new exercises to do.

Unfortunately, that one turned out to be nothing but a sales pitch for some shoe inserts they were selling.

We have become very cynical and can usually work out what the product will be in the seminars, as soon as we see the activities guide.

I believe working in the spa to be a tough job, with staff relying on commission and tips, beyond the compulsory 18% gratuity, but that doesn't make it any better for the passengers.

I think that time has arrived for me. We're one short cruise shy of Elite Plus, but likely will never take that cruise. We'd gone two years between Celebrity cruises, and they had gone down quite a bit in that time.

Not that I expect their main competitors to be better. We may need to move up to more expensive lines and cruise less often to make up for it if we keep cruising for vacations.

If you have not tried a Solstice Class ship you should try it before you give up. Or perhaps one of the new ships when they are released.

I noticed that you were disappointed in the food on the Milly in September. Perhaps some of it is ship related? Maybe you can find a good deal on a suite and try the Luminate.

I just avoid the Art Auctions and I never motioned that they went away for a while.

I still think a cruise is a great value vacation.

Enjoy want even you chose

If you have not tried a Solstice Class ship you should try it before you give up. Or perhaps one of the new ships when they are released.

I noticed that you were disappointed in the food on the Milly in September. Perhaps some of it is ship related? Maybe you can find a good deal on a suite and try the Luminate.

I've taken cruises on the Solstice and Equinox, as well as the Millennium and Constellation. The problem isn't the ships, it's what's happening on the ships. The experience is fine relative to the competition (Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America), but it's gone downhill fast relative to what it was just a couple of years ago.

And our cruise last month was in a suite and we did eat in Luminae. It's certainly nice to avoid the noise and commotion of the main dining room, and the food and service were mostly fine. (Our breakfast entrees were often cold, which I think is the kitchen's fault, but even after sending a few back the problem didn't go away.)

I rarely complain about cruising as its a privilege, but Celebrity seem to be on the make.

English Tim, as a follower on the Azamara boards as well, I did chuckle at your comment. We cruised on the Eclipse last February and had a great cruise. Celebrity is not in my good graces right now as our Summit cruise in January 2017 has been chartered and Celebrity won't admit it yet. Has us in limbo and we are losing a great price and intinerary.

I've taken cruises on the Solstice and Equinox, as well as the Millennium and Constellation. The problem isn't the ships, it's what's happening on the ships. The experience is fine relative to the competition (Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America), but it's gone downhill fast relative to what it was just a couple of years ago.

And our cruise last month was in a suite and we did eat in Luminae. It's certainly nice to avoid the noise and commotion of the main dining room, and the food and service were mostly fine. (Our breakfast entrees were often cold, which I think is the kitchen's fault, but even after sending a few back the problem didn't go away.)

You have certainly experienced what Celebrity has to offer. We are trying the Luminae for the first time within the week. I hope I do not have the same overall experience as you since I have four Celebrity cruises booked. I have enjoyed every one of my past cruises and find cruising a great value. Our interests are not as negatively impacted as yours. Of course I will need to wait until I come back from my 15 TA in November and our 14 day cruise in January to know for sure.