Piano lounge on the Breeze all ages?

IPlayWithString

Is the piano lounge on the Breeze (which we will probably be sailing on next summer) all ages?

We've found that the rules of who is and who is not allowed in the piano lounge seem to vary from ship to ship. On the Freedom, there was no problem with my son coming in with us and sitting at the bar with his soda or whatever it was that he'd ordered. When we tried this on the Magic, we were told he was absolutely not allowed in the lounge at all, even if he was ordering (non alcoholic, of course) drinks.

Is the piano lounge on the Breeze (which we will probably be sailing on next summer) all ages?

We've found that the rules of who is and who is not allowed in the piano lounge seem to vary from ship to ship. On the Freedom, there was no problem with my son coming in with us and sitting at the bar with his soda or whatever it was that he'd ordered. When we tried this on the Magic, we were told he was absolutely not allowed in the lounge at all, even if he was ordering (non alcoholic, of course) drinks.

Rule is it is Adult (over 18) after 10pm. As Some PBE's get a little dirty later in the night. Some follow the rule some done. More than anything in is up to the PBE.

Edited by GROUCHPUSS

Ah.

We'd taken him to the piano lounge on the Freedom for about an hour or so (so from around 9ish to around 10ish) most of the nights that cruise and he really really enjoyed it. He asked if we could go again when we sailed on the Magic and we really did try. All we did was walk in, hadn't even had a chance to order drinks or anything yet and the piano player pointed at my son and said, "He CANNOT be in here.", at which point we turned around and walked out. Normally, the piano bar is my late night hangout, from around 11 to 1 am but I didn't visit once during that cruise because of how rude the piano player had been. I think my husband was a little pissed off because it said nowhere in the Funtimes (and no signage in the lounge either, for that matter)that it was 18 or over at any point during the evening. So (at least in his head) theoretically my son should have been allowed to be in there as long as he wanted. I didn't get into an argument with him over it because I was annoyed, but not annoyed enough to fight with him (and I love a good scrap. LOL).

Edited by IPlayWithString

The thing is, it says in the Funtimes that the nightclubs are 18 and over. But nowhere anywhere that we could find..not in the Funtimes, not on signage and even the guest svcs person we were assigned to (we had our own guest svcs contact..long story, that) didn't seem to know exactly what the rules are regarding the piano lounge.

It's 18 and older in all lounges.

Except that in reading many Fun Times in trip reviews, it often says the piano bar is "Adults only after XX time" That would imply it is not adults only prior to that time. The comedy shows are also held in a lounge, but the ones earlier in the evening are family friendly.

Exactly.

On the Carnival website (as somebody else pointed out to me yesterday on another message board where I asked this same question), it says 21 and older. But if you're on the ship and have never seen that on the website (as I had not prior to this) you have no knowledge of that because it's not specifically stated anywhere.

• 1 month later...

Just off the Breeze.

Hung out in piano bar every night.

Can safely say it is an over 18 age group type of venue.

Several nights, songs were requested and sung that weren't appropriate for kids.

Kitty cat song for one.

When did this change? I haven't cruised in a year, but on all 15 of my cruises, the piano bar was open to all ages at all times. Sure, most people assume that it isn't, but it actually was. On one of my cruises, on the Dream, a 15-year old boy who I had met was wanted to hang out with the singers & dancers in the piano bar, but he thought he couldn't go in. The cruise director assured him that he absolutely could go in there. He hung out in there until about 1:00am. My paperwork isn't saying anything about the piano bar being 18+ or 21+. Only the adult comedy and the dance club, both at 18+. Has it changed within the last year?

When did this change? I haven't cruised in a year, but on all 15 of my cruises, the piano bar was open to all ages at all times. Sure, most people assume that it isn't, but it actually was. On one of my cruises, on the Dream, a 15-year old boy who I had met was wanted to hang out with the singers & dancers in the piano bar, but he thought he couldn't go in. The cruise director assured him that he absolutely could go in there. He hung out in there until about 1:00am. My paperwork isn't saying anything about the piano bar being 18+ or 21+. Only the adult comedy and the dance club, both at 18+. Has it changed within the last year?

Carnival website has stated 21 or older for at least the last few years that I have cruised with carnival. However, I have seen kids in the piano bar and no one has said anything. Its like all rules with carnival, they publish a rule, but then each ship decides whether they want to pay attention to the rule. I am not for or against kids being in the piano bar, but I do no that some of the songs in the books are really adult only. The issue is that carnival puts out rules, but really does not enforce them.

Fun Times refers to these places in question as PIANO BAR

... to me, BAR is the operative word.

As a parent, I wouldn't expect a bar to be an appropriate place for an underrage kid. I can't imagine an entertainer in a bar should have to be careful to be child-friendly. Part of the reason the piano bars are packed is because the entertainer can play with the lyrics.

Just MHO.

Fun Times refers to these places in question as PIANO BAR

... to me, BAR is the operative word.

As a parent, I wouldn't expect a bar to be an appropriate place for an underrage kid. I can't imagine an entertainer in a bar should have to be careful to be child-friendly. Part of the reason the piano bars are packed is because the entertainer can play with the lyrics.

Just MHO.

That's why they need to change it from Piano BAR to Piano LOUNGE, where (at least until say midnight or so) kids are welcome.

That's why they need to change it from Piano BAR to Piano LOUNGE, where (at least until say midnight or so) kids are welcome.

No, they do not NEED to change it to anything. Changing it from BAR to LOUNGE may suit your personal need in this regard, but it does not change the fact that the space's function is a BAR, and they make their money that pays for it by selling ALCOHOL, not cokes to 10 year olds.

My understanding has been that bar / lounges are supposed to be 18+ after 10 or so. It should stay that way in my opinion. Kids should not be welcome until midnight as you propose, in a bar that is open until 1.

I've seen kids in the piano bars around open until before 10, and the entertainer has to hold back. And I'm sorry, but the only people that enjoyed the song from frozen and Hakuna Matata from lion king were those kids and their parents. One entertainer literally breathed a sigh of relief when the kids left. It is not a space for kids. It is a BAR. That is why it is called the piano bar, not camp carnival piano lounge.

I don't mean to be forward but you've stated a proposal and I am offering dissenting feedback. I am not demanding that I be able to use the camp carnival, camp ocean, club o2 or any of the other kids spaces. They are age controlled and off limits to me. So should bars be, for reasons I think should be obvious. Changing names from bar to lounge or justifying there are family friendly comedy shows also in 'lounges' really seems like grasping for justification that validates what you want / suits your needs. Adults without kids have needs too. The piano bar, for the most part, is ours. [emoji6]

Just off the Breeze.

Hung out in piano bar every night.

Can safely say it is an over 18 age group type of venue.

Several nights, songs were requested and sung that weren't appropriate for kids.

Kitty cat song for one.

On our last cruise my husband and I discovered we LOVED the singalong piano lounge. Is that what it is on the Breeze?

Yes, this.

Couldn't agree more with the both of you. Just because there is no sign banning something, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do to start with.

Maybe CCL can start a family-time matinee sing-along session in the Piano Bar for the people that want to participate.

My vote is that the PB should solely be for adults in the evenings.

Everyone will surely have their own opinions as to whether or not it should be adults only, and whether or not that should be explicit or implied. I always thought it was implied adults only, but that minors could go in there if they wanted to. I didn't know that the website listed it as 21+. (And I still haven't went there to check that.) I have come across some people (adults) that left the piano bar, disgusted by some of the stuff they heard in there. Just because some people like it dirty, doesn't mean everybody does. I personally prefer more of a PG-13 atmosphere, with a little bit of play on words, innuendos, & some language, with the main focus of the venue still being the music & the singing along. This would be suitable for just about anyone 13+ (or these days, 8+). However, if raunchy (R rated) sells more drinks, I can understand why Carnival would go that route. But if that's the route they are going, then the ships need to know, & it should be posted at the piano bar. And in regards to the word "bar", keep in mind that the only place where anyone can buy soda is at a bar. So any kid/teen who wants a soda will have to go to a bar (or from a roaming bartender).

The OP was asking specifically about the Breeze. I sailed that ship in 2013, and the piano bar player at the time was not kicking out the kids/teens, although only a few would come in there, usually with their parents. And the piano bar player didn't seem relieved when the kid would leave. Nobody seemed bothered by it at all.

Couldn't agree more with the both of you. Just because there is no sign banning something, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do to start with.

Maybe CCL can start a family-time matinee sing-along session in the Piano Bar for the people that want to participate.

My vote is that the PB should solely be for adults in the evenings.

Well said :)

Breeze had a piano player , and he had a flashlight , When a minor would come in , he stopped his playing ,shined the light on the kid/kids ,and the parents and told them Adults only in the piano bar , and waited to play again until they left , By 3rd -4th day , no minors came in ,knowing they were not allowed