Carry on luggage limit

redcruzer

5 minutes ago, thedeadman said:

If on my last cruise a few days ago the porter try to shake us down in front of our family to get our luggage on board.  Basically, he said if you want your luggage on board you better pay up.  Wow...yeah...pretty pissed off.    

I though it was just me...or perhaps I am overstating what occurred.....until I hit this forum...and I am just shocked at what has occurred to other passengers.  I dont mind tipping but extortion is a different situation.  Its not the money...5 bucks is nothing...its the shakedown for the money by highly paid porters who are also paid from my port taxes.  

I agree. There have been stories on CC of luggage getting damaged/handles ripped off/wheels ripped off.

Bags end up in the water etc.

No real way to prove but some cases seem pretty obvious

Even though they make big $$$ and some are union, some bad apples feel entitled.

Most of the time we use the porters but sometimes not.

Many years ago we took a 7 dayer to Alaska from Seattle. Can't say why, but this cruise had the cheapest pax we had ever seen. We got to the old cruise center and saw a 200' line of people dragging baggage. Porter approached and we loaded three checked bags onto the cart. Led us to the front of the line. Two X-ray  scanners, one for the pax with bags, the other for porters. Porter loaded stuff on the scanner and gave him $10. Walked directly into the building and within 15 minutes we were on our way to the gangway. Getting on the ship, line had grown to about 400'. An hour later, the line wrapped around the entire cruise building. Side note, within three hours of leaving, the entire drink runner work force was seen having a meeting on Lido deck. Seems the few people who were drinking were going directly to the bar thinking they could skate on the auto tip. They were not happy. 

Hey.  That porter got u front of the line pass.   Tip is a no issue.  That is performance.   Same as taking luggage out of car and rolling to terminal.

Perhaps the porters that cut tags did a huge service and we're not tipped.  Still wrong but if you make the porter work hard and you don't tip then it's your fault.

Normally, we rolled our luggage to the terminal baggage bin area. The bin are like 3 feet away.  Most folks are told to dump luggage and someone will come by and load it into a bin. No porter assistance is needed.

You cannot do that at long beach pay enough or pray your luggage gets on board

Edited by thedeadman
More

4 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Welcome to my club. On my last cruise they arrived after dinner. :classic_sad:

Tony

Most bags do.

We really prefer to have everything put away just after lunch -ASAP so we always carry our bags with us when boarding. It makes for a relaxing evening to go to the show & not rushing to put everything away. 

Yeap. ...I told my wife we going to bring on board as well so we using a smaller luggage.  Just want to avoid the porter drama and any chance of lost of luggage (Porter or ship crew).  A bit of hassle but far less risk.  I figure next cruise would have close to 4500 pieces of luggage and some will get screwed up...damaged...lost...theft. figure I eat and when done my room be open.  Maybe 1 hour inconvenience.  

We have tried just about everything with regards to getting our luggage on board, including checking it at the pier and rolling it on ourselves.  It is nice to be able to unpack whenever we want and not have to play cabin door gopher and keep popping out to see if our bags are there yet.

What we have eventually settled on that eliminates schlepping our own bags.  We ship one large bag of cruise clothes to the ship.  The bag gets picked up at our house, or a neighbor's if we are already traveling on the pickup day, and the next time we see it is outside our cabin on embarkation - sometimes before we even get there.

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We have tried just about everything with regards to getting our luggage on board, including checking it at the pier and rolling it on ourselves.  It is nice to be able to unpack whenever we want and not have to play cabin door gopher and keep popping out to see if our bags are there yet.

What we have eventually settled on that eliminates schlepping our own bags.  We ship one large bag of cruise clothes to the ship.  The bag gets picked up at our house, or a neighbor's if we are already traveling on the pickup day, and the next time we see it is outside our cabin on embarkation - sometimes before we even get there.

What doe it cost you for the service?

Is it guaranteed your luggage will arrive and be delivered on time before the ship sails?

And will the service pick up your luggage at debarkation and deliver  your luggage back to your home?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

What doe it cost you for the service?

It varies by distance shipped.  It was around $300 to have a bag delivered to the ship near Santiago Chile. Well worth it not to have to drag our cruise clothes around with us for two weeks on land before a cruise home. That spoiled us.

Check luggageforward.com for prices.

What..it be cheaper to have backpack with minor clothes and buy new clothes on your voyage.  Buy a duffle bag for trip home. For 300 bucks that does sense unless your filthy rich.

Also you could go to 99 cent store and buy and use and donate clothes.  Then you have nothing to drag.  Or take old clothes use abd dump

Edited by thedeadman
More stuff

1 hour ago, thedeadman said:

What..it be cheaper to have backpack with minor clothes and buy new clothes on your voyage.  Buy a duffle bag for trip home. For 300 bucks that does sense unless your filthy rich.

Also you could go to 99 cent store and buy and use and donate clothes.  Then you have nothing to drag.  Or take old clothes use abd dump

Huh?..

“For 300 bucks that does sense unless your filthy rich.”

What are  you trying to say?

“Also you could go to 99 cent store and buy and use and donate clothes.  Then you have nothing to drag.  Or take old clothes use abd dump”

Are you suggesting to wear used clothes on your cruise?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

22 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Huh?..

“For 300 bucks that does sense unless your filthy rich.”

What are  you trying to say?

“Also you could go to 99 cent store and buy and use and donate clothes.  Then you have nothing to drag.  Or take old clothes use abd dump”

Are you suggesting to wear used clothes on your cruise?

King

No.  Pack lite.  Buy new clothes on trip.

300 bucks pay for new clothes versus paying 300 to ship your used clothes.

Unless your going to a wedding on board you can pack lite.  Now I know ladies want to dress nice for formal nights and bring a ton of shoes.  That does not work well with packing lite.  However you can find thin dress clothes. Or buy a nice dress in foreign country and wear that.

Most travel advisors recommend carryon size.  Easy to store if needed. Easy to move.  Will not get lost by airlines or cruise ship.

If I had a dollar for every time I seen folks with lost luggage at airport or cruise ship....I be a millonaire.

The rule is not if your luggage will be lost....it's when....

1 hour ago, thedeadman said:

No.  Pack lite.  Buy new clothes on trip.

300 bucks pay for new clothes versus paying 300 to ship your used clothes.

Unless your going to a wedding on board you can pack lite.  Now I know ladies want to dress nice for formal nights and bring a ton of shoes.  That does not work well with packing lite.  However you can find thin dress clothes. Or buy a nice dress in foreign country and wear that.

Most travel advisors recommend carryon size.  Easy to store if needed. Easy to move.  Will not get lost by airlines or cruise ship.

If I had a dollar for every time I seen folks with lost luggage at airport or cruise ship....I be a millonaire.

The rule is not if your luggage will be lost....it's when....

For $300 they can have my suitcase & everything in it & I'll still be ahead.  😁