5 ships in port! How to avoid crowds?

DaddyBytes

I will be in St. Thomas in November on Freedom of the Seas. There will be 4 other ships in port that day - over 12k passengers. We are in port from noon until 7pm. I am looking for suggestions on a nice beach in which I might be able to avoid the biggest crowds (as much as can be reasonably expected).

Originally I had thought of going to Magens Bay, but I suspect that is probably one of the worst choices I can make due to the popularity of that beach.

Do any of you have suggestions for a beach that is nice, but might not have the huge crowds?

Would I be better off with a ferry trip to St. Johns instead of staying on St. Thomas that afternoon?

I envisioned a couple of hours at the beach, and an hour or two of walking around doing shopping. I know I won't avoid the crowds shopping, but I was hoping I could choose a lower key beach.

Any suggestions?

How to avoid the crowds? Simple. Stay on the ship! Its actually a great option (we do it quite often in Caribbean ports). But if you really just have to get off the ship, and you are docked in Crown Bay, then you could take a short taxi ride (or a very long walk) ov)er to Emerald Beach (Lindberg Bay). If docked at Havensight then an option is to take a taxi to Morning Star (near the Marriott).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There are days with 20k day visitors on STT so although this isn't quite as bad you are arrineng late, and the popular beaches like Magens and Coki will be very crowded. You will dock at Havensight so for a beach you could taxi to Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) and the Best Western hotel. If ships are docked at Crown Bay Lindbergh will also be a bit crowded. You can see what ships are docked where using the cruise ship schedule at vinow dot com. From Havensight you'd taxi from Havensight and go through Charlotte Amalie and could stop there on the return to shop and sightsee. There is also a lot of shopping available right at the dock.

Two other options we'd consider are Sapphire Beach on the east end which is a bit nicer beach and will have some people but nothing like Coki and Magens; Or for a much less busy beach with a beach bar and very few day visitors Hull Bay on the north side.

Staying on the ship is the worst idea we can think of when visiting beautiful islands...

Edited by blue_water

There are days with 20k day visitors on STT so although this isn't quite as bad you are arrineng late, and the popular beaches like Magens and Coki will be very crowded. You will dock at Havensight so for a beach you could taxi to Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) and the Best Western hotel. If ships are docked at Crown Bay Lindbergh will also be a bit crowded. You can see what ships are docked where using the cruise ship schedule at vinow dot com. From Havensight you'd taxi from Havensight and go through Charlotte Amalie and could stop there on the return to shop and sightsee. There is also a lot of shopping available right at the dock.

Two other options we'd consider are Sapphire Beach on the east end which is a bit nicer beach and will have some people but nothing like Coki and Magens; Or for a much less busy beach with a beach bar and very few day visitors Hull Bay on the north side.

Staying on the ship is the worst idea we can think of when visiting beautiful islands...

Thank you. I will look into your suggestions.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

A map showing Havensight, Crown, CA, and beach locations.

Paradise Point is also a great last stop for a drink and the view before returning to the ship if time allows. There's an aerial tram just across from your dock that takes you up and back and you can buy refundable roundtrip tram tickets at your excursions desk. Or you can have a taxi drop you up top and take the shuttle down one-way. Just a small open-air cafe and bar and perhaps a band with a view of the harbors...

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

A map showing Havensight, Crown, CA, and beach locations.

Paradise Point is also a great last stop for a drink and the view before returning to the ship if time allows. There's an aerial tram just across from your dock that takes you up and back and you can buy refundable roundtrip tram tickets at your excursions desk. Or you can have a taxi drop you up top and take the shuttle down one-way. Just a small open-air cafe and bar and perhaps a band with a view of the harbors...

Great map! Thank you.

We will be visiting in February during the northeast winter break (I think I saw 18,000 expected). Our timeframe is the same...12-7. Is Sapphire still an okay choice? We've never been...always headed to Magens. I did want to take our boys, 10 and 7, to Magens but thought Sapphire may entice my DH enough to perhaps book a weeklong vacation versus a cruise stop next time we vacation plan!

I appreciate all the advice you give Blue Water ...I have learned so much with your helpful responses!

We will be visiting in February during the northeast winter break (I think I saw 18,000 expected). Our timeframe is the same...12-7. Is Sapphire still an okay choice? We've never been...always headed to Magens. I did want to take our boys, 10 and 7, to Magens but thought Sapphire may entice my DH enough to perhaps book a weeklong vacation versus a cruise stop next time we vacation plan!

I appreciate all the advice you give Blue Water ...I have learned so much with your helpful responses!

Thanks! We've learned from others over the years and are just playing it forward! Lulu's suggestion about a daysail is also a great option, especially on a busy day. But for mostly beach time you'll want to just taxi to a beach on STT or ferry to STJ.

We've stayed at Sapphire with 20k in port and honestly never felt crowded there. There will be more people in one area by the dive center and the main swimming area. But unlike Magens you can walk to a less crowded spot and still have abundant shade, restrooms, lounges, and wait service. Last year we actually visited a few other beaches when there was just 1 smaller ship in port, and Magens was just too crowded to enjoy for us, at least.

We've met couples and families from ships while staying at Sapphire and many fell in love with Sapphire and said their next vacation would be a land vacation staying at Sapphire. So yes! Do visit Sapphire and while there check out the condo bldgs closest to the water.

Bldg A is by the dive center and the busier area of the beach, the Banana Cabana beach grill is between bldgs B and C, and D is by the beautiful two-tiered pool. E is closer to the marina, while F is set back behind the marina. These make up the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina condo property. We like bldg D for the views and quiet and it's a short walk to the sandier section of the beach.The restaurant and pool bar are currently closed, but you can eat breakfast and lunch in your condo, and drive/taxi into nearby Red Hook some nights for dinner. You'd want to look at a 2-bedroom unit like one of the owners we met rents, perhaps you could contact him and see his unit while there if interested.

The Sapphire Village condo property is situated on the hill overlooking the marina and is less expensive option because it's not directly on the beach. The restaurant is also there. But with the SBRM you have the waves at night which is nice.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

If you do visit Sapphire remember that it is a popular beach with the cruise crowd, but usually Tuesday and to a lesser extant Wednesday are the days that most ships are in St. Thomas so the beach is more crowded then than the rest of the week.

We own at Sapphire and often just go the beach early before the crowd arrives and later after they leave on those days. The condos are right on the beach so you have the same view from your patio or balcony.

For condo rentals VRBO is the way to go, you want to rent through the owner because each condo is in a different condition.

If you decide you like Sapphire and are interested in returning I'll give you their VRBO numbers with their permission since I am not an owner there.