Switching TA

skinexpert

I need a crash course in using a TA. We've always booked cruises through our university's alumni association, which uses a TA based in Minneapolis. If individual rebates, of the kind many of you have mentioned, are involved, we haven't been sophisticated enough to ask for them.

Given that it's so easy to book a cruise online, I'm wondering why one would use a TA at all. Is it standard practice for them to rebate part of their comission to the cruiser? Are there any other advantages to using a TA? How can I locate a list of TAs who are heavy hitters with Oceania?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me! :)

Whether a TA rebates or not is real low on my list of priorities of why to use a TA. It is important to some people, but I've always tried to not be penny wise and pound foolish.

I need a crash course in using a TA. We've always booked cruises through our university's alumni association, which uses a TA based in Minneapolis. If individual rebates, of the kind many of you have mentioned, are involved, we haven't been sophisticated enough to ask for them.

Given that it's so easy to book a cruise online, I'm wondering why one would use a TA at all. Is it standard practice for them to rebate part of their comission to the cruiser? Are there any other advanitages to using a TA? How can I locate a list of TAs who are heavy hitters with Oceania?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me! :)

First of all Oceania's rebate policy is NOT for ALL rebates. Rebates are restricted for being advertised for over 5% but, several TA's including ours rebate 10% or more for all cruise lines including Oceania and simply don't advertise it but, do provide the rebates to all clients.

You can find a list thru Oceania however, that might not include TA's who do rebate. Unfortunately CC will not allow us to provide TA names.

As to why over and above rebates you should book thru a TA like ours who also provides great customer service, they provide additional amenities like OBC, Gratuities, free tours thru their consortiums to list a few, when you book directly with the cruise line, you are dealing with an employee of the cruise line who will only provide you the party line if you have any issues while dealing with a great TA will provide support for any issues and will have special contacts at the cruise line who can get things fixed that the reversation taker at the cruise line has no reason to escalate any issues as they are paid by the cruise line.

Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would book direct and not with a great TA who is worth literally thousands of dollars in additional benefits that booking direct will give you and provide independent support for any issues that the booking agent at the cruise line has no reason to help you with.

Well agents are the cruise lines bread and butter... a non salary paid only if a sale is made salesman.

A ship line is not going to undersell such a agent.... Its shooting themselves in the foot for a zero cost employee ( no ins, benefits, no taxes, no cash drain without performing..... No way will they kill that goose.

An agent will be able to get things you cant... The line will give them bonuses, perks, and other rewards that you as an individual would never be offered.

The agent then cuts the deal and makes the commission and a profit they feel is appropriate for the client. I client who calls and makes a reservation once every few years for 7-10 day cruises for an inside, may not get the perks as a person who books Penthouses or Upper class cabins several times a year for 21 to 30 day cruises and has done so for many years.

Its called business...

Let me add that different TAs offer different type packages of rebates. I've read hear that some TAs cut a check back to cruiser to do as they please with the money. Our TA, while providing a hosts of freebies on the cruises, paired to what we like, will not cut a check directly to us. We may get refundable OBC, which we can withdraw at the end of the cruise. That is up to us, but they will not cut us a check.

Some posters here want only cash back, and that is their preference. We have been satisfied with a long list of freebie and perks, while on the cruise that meets or surpasses many of the cash back deals, that are directed to our lifestyle and preferences. We always get free gratuities. We are offered free premium drink packages, plus OBS or X, Y, Z. We fly into Papeete and our TA tells us she has booked us a day room in IC with transfers to the hotel and ship gratis, plus, plus, plus. We're happy with that. Some only say "So me the Cash!" Each to their own. Just saying that different high level Travel Agents offer different types of packages. We have been overwhelmed with incredible service from our TA and will not get into a nickels and dimes argument over whether one's TA gave them a rebate package of 10.2% , in cash, and we only got 10.1% in added perks. For some that is important on an ego basis, but we're very happy.

Our TA is already informed on which Summer and Fall 2017 cruises we want. Booking start at 0830 Eastern Standard Time on 4/6. She has already informed her Oceania Rep of which cruises and suites we want and I feel confident that by 0845 we will be confirmed for all of the above.

What can a high flyer TA do for you? An example: My TA had two groups (4 people) wanting OS for the 2018 RTW cruise on O, with another wafering between O and Regent. Getting top suites, when demand exceeds supply, there are only so many OS on the ship, is not on a true first come first basis. O takes care of its producers. Her clients are booked in OS.

Let me add that different TAs offer different type packages of rebates. I've read hear that some TAs cut a check back to cruiser to do as they please with the money. Our TA, while providing a hosts of freebies on the cruises, paired to what we like, will not cut a check directly to us. We may get refundable OBC, which we can withdraw at the end of the cruise. That is up to us, but they will not cut us a check.

Some posters here want only cash back, and that is their preference. We have been satisfied with a long list of freebie and perks, while on the cruise that meets or surpasses many of the cash back deals, that are directed to our lifestyle and preferences. We always get free gratuities. We are offered free premium drink packages, plus OBS or X, Y, Z. We fly into Papeete and our TA tells us she has booked us a day room in IC with transfers to the hotel and ship gratis, plus, plus, plus. We're happy with that. Some only say "So me the Cash!" Each to their own. Just saying that different high level Travel Agents offer different types of packages. We have been overwhelmed with incredible service from our TA and will not get into a nickels and dimes argument over whether one's TA gave them a rebate package of 10.2% , in cash, and we only got 10.1% in added perks. For some that is important on an ego basis, but we're very happy.

Our TA is already informed on which Summer and Fall 2017 cruises we want. Booking start at 0830 Eastern Standard Time on 4/6. She has already informed her Oceania Rep of which cruises and suites we want and I feel confident that by 0845 we will be confirmed for all of the above.

What can a high flyer TA do for you? An example: My TA had two groups (4 people) wanting OS for the 2018 RTW cruise on O, with another wafering between O and Regent. Getting top suites, when demand exceeds supply, there are only so many OS on the ship, is not on a true first come first basis. O takes care of its producers. Her clients are booked in OS.

The bottom line is using an agent is going to get you far more than you ever would on your own...by whatever means and methods either one benifits you Whether service, OBC or direct appreciation. Really is only obtainable by and from an Agent...

On your own ... your working against the company, the agent and yourself....what do you think you can get that they can't ???? ( I can tell you in advance...it has a right hand thread )